Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

WTB: 951 LSD

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 04:31 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
Default WTB: 951 LSD

I know I'll probably get about zero responses, but here goes anyway...

Anyone have a factory 951 lsd tranny for sale (or just the lsd unit by itself)? If so, let me know mileage, condition, price, with or w/o cooler, location etc. Would like to buy soon if possible.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:09 PM
sayporsha
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Portland, Oregon. No affiliation.
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/564082349.html
Old 02-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to have one available soon. Details are - my current turbo came with a limited slip trans with no cooler - however the ring and pinion went and took the case with it. I had another spare turbo tranny and a friend of mine who is an expert on transmission is swapping the lsd unit into that good transmission. He is looking everything over and replacing a couple items while he is in there. I'll be asking sixteen hundred clams when he is done and I can ship it via DHL for 75. I prefer freshwater
Old 02-11-2008, 12:38 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The one is portland I have seen. Looks decent. Can't speak for operation. The seller Peter is a decent guy, have bought parts from him before.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:12 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Josh B
I am going to have one available soon. Details are - my current turbo came with a limited slip trans with no cooler - however the ring and pinion went and took the case with it. I had another spare turbo tranny and a friend of mine who is an expert on transmission is swapping the lsd unit into that good transmission. He is looking everything over and replacing a couple items while he is in there. I'll be asking sixteen hundred clams when he is done and I can ship it via DHL for 75. I prefer freshwater
A few questions...
1. Is it possible to bolt up the cooler from my non-lsd tranny to yours? (in other words, does yours have removable plugs where the cooler would install?)
2. Will your shop inspect the LSD unit before installing it (check breakaway torque, clutch disks, etc.)
3. Would you consider just selling me the LSD unit by itself? Simpler to ship and you don't have to worry about having it installed in your tranny. Also, I'm thinking about installing an S2 r&p, so that would give me that flexibility if I choose. If you're open to that idea, let me know how much you want for just the lsd unit, and don't worry about answering the first two questions.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:14 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sayporsha
In Portland, Oregon. No affiliation.
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/pts/564082349.html
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. Wonder if he would ship it...
Old 02-11-2008, 10:10 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vt951
A few questions...
1. Is it possible to bolt up the cooler from my non-lsd tranny to yours? (in other words, does yours have removable plugs where the cooler would install?)
2. Will your shop inspect the LSD unit before installing it (check breakaway torque, clutch disks, etc.)
3. Would you consider just selling me the LSD unit by itself? Simpler to ship and you don't have to worry about having it installed in your tranny. Also, I'm thinking about installing an S2 r&p, so that would give me that flexibility if I choose. If you're open to that idea, let me know how much you want for just the lsd unit, and don't worry about answering the first two questions.

Thanks for your reply.
1. It is possible however the drive gear that pumps oil through the loop is different in the LSD trans so that it clears the LSD unit. This gear is no longer offered for sale by Porsche or in inventory anywhere in the world and the best price I have gotten on a machined replacement is $400. Since Porsche did offer LSD transmissions without coolers(That is how my car was stock) and since the technology in transmission fluids has improved a good bit over the last 20 years I don't think the cooler is as useful as it used to be.
2. I am pretty sure that my shop is looking everything over as the transmission is put back together. I am not sure the details of what is being inspected but I could ask.
3. Both of the transmissions have already been opened up to do the work and the parts have been ordered. Unless the LSD unit by itself was worth twelve hundred it wouldn't make any sense for me to sell it by itself. A stock 951 trans usually only brings around five hundred dollars. I am trading out a turbo brake setup for the work and the guy is looking forward to installing that on his car
Old 02-11-2008, 10:34 AM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

I would check with Ian at 944online.com I bought a rebuilt 89 Turbo S with LSD and Oil Cooler from Ian early last year and it has performed brillantly. I used it throughout last year's DE season with about 12 track days with zero issues. I just mated that tranny to a rebuilt 89 Turbo S engine with some mods I also sourced from Ian at 944online.com. Great guys and his builder (Vinny) does great work too.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:18 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

1. It is possible however the drive gear that pumps oil through the loop is different in the LSD trans so that it clears the LSD unit. This gear is no longer offered for sale by Porsche or in inventory anywhere in the world and the best price I have gotten on a machined replacement is $400. Since Porsche did offer LSD transmissions without coolers(That is how my car was stock) and since the technology in transmission fluids has improved a good bit over the last 20 years I don't think the cooler is as useful as it used to be.
2. I am pretty sure that my shop is looking everything over as the transmission is put back together. I am not sure the details of what is being inspected but I could ask.
3. Both of the transmissions have already been opened up to do the work and the parts have been ordered. Unless the LSD unit by itself was worth twelve hundred it wouldn't make any sense for me to sell it by itself. A stock 951 trans usually only brings around five hundred dollars. I am trading out a turbo brake setup for the work and the guy is looking forward to installing that on his car
Thanks for your help. How many miles are on the lsd and tranny that it will be going into?
Old 02-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vt951
Thanks for your help. How many miles are on the lsd and tranny that it will be going into?

LSD unit had approx 125k on it and the tranny it went into has approx 142k if I am remember correctly. I checked on the 944online website and they actually list that gear for 233 bucks if they have one in stock. I send them an email to see.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:26 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rshanholtz
I would check with Ian at 944online.com I bought a rebuilt 89 Turbo S with LSD and Oil Cooler from Ian early last year and it has performed brillantly. I used it throughout last year's DE season with about 12 track days with zero issues. I just mated that tranny to a rebuilt 89 Turbo S engine with some mods I also sourced from Ian at 944online.com. Great guys and his builder (Vinny) does great work too.

If you don't mind, how much did the rebuilt tranny cost you?
Old 02-11-2008, 03:39 PM
rshanholtz
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

All in it was $2,950 delivered. I know it was steep but it was completely rebuilt and flawless. I have my old 86 non-LSD tranny (42k miles) crated in my basement. It needs a first gear synchro as it was starting to act up occaisonally.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:03 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rshanholtz
All in it was $2,950 delivered. I know it was steep but it was completely rebuilt and flawless. I have my old 86 non-LSD tranny (42k miles) crated in my basement. It needs a first gear synchro as it was starting to act up occaisonally.
too rich for my blood...
Old 02-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

LSD unit had approx 125k on it and the tranny it went into has approx 142k if I am remember correctly. I checked on the 944online website and they actually list that gear for 233 bucks if they have one in stock. I send them an email to see.
I checked with Ian and they do not have any in stock and are about to change the status on the item to no longer available Funny though - Ian said why have a cooler - they only leak and catch on cones and if you aren't running 100 miles an hour for long races there is no real advantage anyways...
Old 02-13-2008, 11:24 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Josh,

Thanks for the info and sorry to keep you hanging. I am still getting PM's about various LSD's for sale, so I'm weighing the options. Yours sounds good because it will at least be cracked open and inspected, but I'm really hoping to get one with the oil cooler if possible. I plan to track this car occasionally, so I think the cooler would be a good idea. If it was strictly for the street, I would agree with you that the cooler probably isn't necessary.

Quick Reply: WTB: 951 LSD