Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

oil blockage: cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 12:18 AM
poorporscheturbo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil blockage: cooler?

So after finally getting around to putting back together the 951, (was down for years after a blown headgasket), drained old gas, added new fluids, new battery...

3 cranks, and it's alive idling nicely for a minute, so I think... then I notice it's dumped all the oil on the floor. After much clean up, a couple days of oh gawd, why am i still trying to fix this thing... and many quarts of oil, a couple oil filters... somethings gotta be blocked.

My guess is the oil cooler? (perhaps i didnt clean out all the milkshake before?).
The oil pressure will actually warp the oil filter, and will blow it out there (immediately after startup).
Does the OPRV open under startup or idle... or only high revs?

I am guessing the blockage has to be somewhere past the oil filter (oil cooler inlet, oil cooler, outlet)? Before I tear into it I was looking for some input from the experts here? (I did do the oil cooler seals also, so perhaps I didnt align the relief valve properly? but would that cause all the oil to blow out the filter?)

I'm losing my storage space in a few weeks, so it's do or die. Will have to dump the car if I can't get her operational or at least movable in the next couple weeks. sigh, also snapped one of the cooler housing -> block bolts, when I when I started to get in there looking to check movement of OPRV this evening...

Any thoughts, suggestions, input greatly appreciated...
Old 02-10-2008, 12:31 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes it will blow oil out of the filter; OPRV is stuck or seriously misaligned that is can't function correctly, my first guess.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:38 AM
poorporscheturbo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks ski

when i tried taking out the oprv (before loosening oil cooler housing bolts),
the cap came off, and the spring was sticking out... so my 1 piece oprv (87) became a 3 piece deal.
so yes, most likely it was stuck/wedged. loosening the housing bolts freed it.
will try re-aligning and testing again. dumb me.

another question, theres a yellow wire that looks like it connects to something about the size of a tire/schaeder valve, single wire connector. looks like its coming out of a wire bundle near the oilcooler housing... have looked around but cant see/remember where it connects to?

Quick Reply: oil blockage: cooler?