333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

touche.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:15 AM
lejams
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gorgeous looking setup George. No doubt your wallet is a bit thinner on this one. I hope your payout = !!! payoff. If a couple of polished parts are all that's holding this up, I believe I would be asking for a little overtime on someone's part. Thanks for the transparency.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lejams
Gorgeous looking setup George. No doubt your wallet is a bit thinner on this one. I hope your payout = !!! payoff. If a couple of polished parts are all that's holding this up, I believe I would be asking for a little overtime on someone's part. Thanks for the transparency.
Tim does good work and as quickly as possible. A build like this (with quite a few of the custom parts being made by Tim himself) takes time and he's done quite a good job. Some people wait over a year (as some on this list have).

-Darwin
Old 02-11-2008, 12:05 PM
lejams
Pro

Although I can see how what I said could be taken as criticism, it wasn't really intended that way or to be personal. Obviously this project deserves compliments, and I fully comprehend that quality work done right takes time. I think they are maybe down to waiting on a intercooler pipe to be polished... Looking forward to the results.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

What cam is it running?
IMHO that is one of the keys to this engine's performance.

Looks super nice, looking forward to the dyno runs!
Old 02-11-2008, 12:22 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by toddk911
That intake is a thing of beauty.

What mods need to be done to run the Nissan alternator?
This how I wired mine last summer

Here are some comparisons to the stock alt:

Old 02-11-2008, 12:57 PM
George D
Drifting

There was no criticism taken from your post. Trust me, this has been a long project. We started the motor build in May-June of 2007. Tim sends out the polishing to a little shop down the street. There are some oil lines going to the oil cooler that have to be attached also. We should have the car running this week. Tim's shop is a 6 hour drive from me, so I won't be going out there without taking the car back with me.

I've gotten used to delays and such. I would like to make the next PCA DE in Deming, NM at the end of the month, but I'm not planning on it right now. Hell, I've been without this car so long my Lexus seems really fast.

Originally Posted by lejams
Although I can see how what I said could be taken as criticism, it wasn't really intended that way or to be personal. Obviously this project deserves compliments, and I fully comprehend that quality work done right takes time. I think they are maybe down to waiting on a intercooler pipe to be polished... Looking forward to the results.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:21 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by Duke
What cam is it running?
IMHO that is one of the keys to this engine's performance.

Looks super nice, looking forward to the dyno runs!
I appreciate your opinion. I've found over the years that time spent on the valve train and head was as important if not more so on getting what you want out of a motor. Don't forget, I want this car to idle perfectly and have a 7K redline with increasing HP. There was much time spent on the valve train and head and less so on the cam specs. The cam specs are fairly close to a factory 968 TS. The intake valves are larger than a 968TS with the exhaust valves being the same.

I've been in aggressive cam 951's. It's fine for a race car, but not what I wanted in this car. A friends 3.0 out in LA is using an aggressive LR cam and their 4" exhaust along with semi solid motor mounts. He is now wanting a different cam, stock motor mounts and a quieter exhaust. I did warn him.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

It's evident that this is not your first engine judging by the mature choices on some parts
It's so easy to get carried away when setting the spec's and end up with an engine that is simply to noisy or rough going.

I'm skeptic you will get a 7k redline with increasing hp but I'm happy to be convinced otherwise
Old 02-11-2008, 02:01 PM
George D
Drifting

Duke,

We'll see how this build comes out. We will run this car on the dyno to 7K. Tim's header, intake, and such moves the power to the right. This big valve 2.7 head will flow quite a bit of air. We are using a big air filter and that 4" intake pipe will give the turbo as much air as it can pump. The front mounted Spearco intercooler will help with heat. The radiator was so nice, I didn't want to install it! LOL

We also have timing adjustability on the cam and in our software. We'll tune to get the best result. Tim is really good at tuning.

We will share the dyno numbers including boost and A/F maps. What we get we'll share. This is a street/DE car with AC, stereo, and 4 point belts with the stock belts hanging in place. The rollbar and Recaro in the drivers seat does give the look of something that likes to track a little. It also keeps my big assed friends out of the drivers seat.

Tim will have many of the parts used in this build for sale. Wouldn't it be nice to just use a Nissan alternator when needing to replace the factory unit? A simple bolt on much smaller alternator with more amperage, less drag, and modern internals? This is good for us 951 nuts. We need to keep our good suppliers in business. If I didn't have the support of vendors and folks like Tim at www.speedforceracing.com I would be doing this.

Thanks for coming in with thoughts and opinions.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:03 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by Duke
It's evident that this is not your first engine judging by the mature choices on some parts
It's so easy to get carried away when setting the spec's and end up with an engine that is simply to noisy or rough going.

I'm skeptic you will get a 7k redline with increasing hp but I'm happy to be convinced otherwise

Alot of it has to do with tuning.On my own personal car I was able to make peak power at redline and I had stock cam,intake manifolkd,headers,etc......with a large turbo, exhaust, Electromtoive,
Old 02-11-2008, 03:21 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Very true. And especially a 3.0 liter need more advance at higher rpm's. Unfortunatly Motronic only goes to 6240 rpm...
Old 02-11-2008, 04:22 PM
George D
Drifting

We are able to manipulate timing with Motronic using our MaxTune software and emulator. Our rev limiter is set at 7,000rpm and we can modify timing and such past 6240. It's amazing how we used (dating myself) to tune with primarily fuel pressure at higher boost levels.

Things are looking up for non stand alone cars wanting extensive tuning capability with Motronic thanks to www.maxhpkit.com

Quick Reply: Update on George D. SFR built 3.0L