Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

help...what size is the star drive for the cv half shafts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:03 PM
gjoey66
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help...what size is the star drive for the cv half shafts?

in sears need to buy it now...
Old 02-07-2008, 09:07 PM
GreyDog
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang, don't know, wish I could help since you're at the store and all !
Old 02-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

The 8mm - 12 point tool is available at most major auto parts stores and is made by Lisle. Sometimes you'll find it as part of a set of three 12 point tools (8mm, 10mm, 12mm) as they are used in a number of GM applications. However, if the store has the set of three, they should also be able to get them individually as well. Bear in mind before you pass on the set of three that the all three sizes are used in various applications on the 944. The 8mm tool is also used on the pressure plate to flywheel bolts. The 10mm is used on the Camshaft sprocket bolt. And, the 12mm is used on the flywheel to crankshaft bolts. These tools are also known as "cheesehead" tools and if you get them from Snap-On, it's a "triple square" tool. The Lisle tools have the 12 point on one end and a hex head on the other end, so they have to be inserted into a socket to be used. They are also relatively inexpensive (around $8 USD each). The Snap-On tool is significantly more expensive (around $25 USD) . However, the quality is better, they have a lifetime warranty, and the 12 point is mounted in a socket.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:23 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
The 8mm - 12 point tool is available at most major auto parts stores and is made by Lisle. Sometimes you'll find it as part of a set of three 12 point tools (8mm, 10mm, 12mm) as they are used in a number of GM applications. However, if the store has the set of three, they should also be able to get them individually as well. Bear in mind before you pass on the set of three that the all three sizes are used in various applications on the 944. The 8mm tool is also used on the pressure plate to flywheel bolts. The 10mm is used on the Camshaft sprocket bolt. And, the 12mm is used on the flywheel to crankshaft bolts. These tools are also known as "cheesehead" tools and if you get them from Snap-On, it's a "triple square" tool. The Lisle tools have the 12 point on one end and a hex head on the other end, so they have to be inserted into a socket to be used. They are also relatively inexpensive (around $8 USD each). The Snap-On tool is significantly more expensive (around $25 USD) . However, the quality is better, they have a lifetime warranty, and the 12 point is mounted in a socket.
6mm is also used on the hatch pins, though that is the only place that I know of. They are called triple square bits.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:47 PM
eniac
Drifting

Don't buy cheap bits when it comes to these. I have a small box of cheapies that I picked up from the local autostore. They darn near stripped every bolt I tried them on. They would have stripped had I not stopped to grab a beer and call the Snap-On guy for a complete set of metric sized triple square bits. The Snap-On bits worked flawlessly. Curiously the Snap-On bits were only a few dollars more.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:07 AM
gjoey66
Instructor

thanks guys...i'm going back in the morning

Quick Reply: help...what size is the star drive for the cv half shafts?