Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive
View Poll Results: Are we too stingy and secretive with new ideas?
Yes
70.37%
No
29.63%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

According to a non-lister "We are stingy and selfish"!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:00 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lot of gum flapping going on in this thread

I find it interesting when people have this expectation:

A person who has invested countless money/time/effort and energy for R&D to build, rebuild, tweak, tune, re-tune, test, rebuild, rework, retest, re-tune, etc, etc to get to a specific output.

Then somehow he is an ******* because he does not care to disclose every detail of the final setup, how he came to it, his exact detailed tune, etc,etc. Or in the case of a vendor does not post specs for all other vendors to copy and sell as their own. Even funnier that most of the time 90% of the core info is shared.

Spend you own money, your own sweat, your own personal time, commitment and determination on R&D then share every painstaking detail for the world to benefit from your investment, THEN you can bitch. Until then you whiners don't have any idea what your expectation is all about.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:23 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Not entirely true 2bridges, in that I agree if it's proprietary info as described, however there is a lack of sharing in a certain niche that is more common on other forums. Lots of people are very kind with their knowledge and experience here. Just look when almost anyone posts requests about repairing something, or fitting something, but there's not so much of upper end mod sharing such as turbo or ignition mapping etc
Again, this can be easily viewed as info that has been gained through time and money so fair enough, but it does get spread around on other car forums a bit more readily. Once I get my 3.0L tuned if someone needs some mapping then I'd be happy to help them out as others have helped me out in the past/present too.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:27 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

look at the 20v 5 cyl thread, that's a nice example
Old 02-08-2008, 10:29 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I telling you guys...It's The Boost!

You try the boost. You like the boost. You want the boost. You get the boost. You use the boost. You want More boost. You are a boost junkie. Where do you get more boost? The boost pusher.

There are several different kinds of boost pushers. First is the junkie pusher. The junkie pusher is selling off his old boost to get more boost. Second is the party pusher doing group boost buys so he can get more boost cheaper. Next is the tech pusher. The tech pusher doesn't actually sell or do anything but he will tell you he always knows the best ways to get more boost. The home brew pusher cooks up his own boost in his garage/shop. Sometimes the home brew pusher sells his stuff, most times it is just for his own boost gratification. Closely related to the home brew pusher is the wrench pusher. The wrench pusher does the wrenching to get others more boost. The wrench pusher can be a boost racing shop, or just that friend always telling you he will help you add more boost. The cash pusher has done well at making his own boost and to support his boost habit makes a business of selling boost. Lastly is the guru pusher man. The guru pusher man has seen it all done it all and has everything needed to kindly guide you down the path to what is the bliss of the boost.

The most important thing maintaining a boost high is the relationship between the boost junkie and boost pusher. To maintain that relationship the boost junkie must always feel his boost pusher is "The Man." Sometimes being "The Man" means getting a good deal on boost, sometimes it means having that special combination of boost, and sometimes it means getting special boost from a secret boost stash.

It really is all about The Boost.

Last edited by RKD in OKC; 02-08-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:44 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by RKD in OKC
The cash pusher has done well at making his own boost and to support his boost habit makes a business of selling boost

Why do I get the feeling that I am being referred as cash pusher?
Old 02-08-2008, 10:52 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Oh, sorry I completely forgot about LART.

The part out pusher scavanges the remains of a boost burn out, selling the good bits off either because it is cheaper than selling it outright, or to support their own boost habit by helping others get their boost on at a better price.

Did I leave anyone else out?
Old 02-08-2008, 11:20 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Lart "the Pusher scavanger" lol
Old 02-09-2008, 12:02 AM
George D
Drifting

OK RKD,

You got me laughing. It is about the boost, but there are many available boost pipes to pick from. I've tried many boost pipes. Supra, EVO, Porsche, Blown Expedition, (yeah I put a blower on my Ford), supercharged M3, turbo 280z and a E55 supercharged M car, almost forgot my blown 4 Runner in offroad. My favorite out of all of them is the little 4 banger 951 that has the potential of spanking all of the above with the right driver.

I've got to admit that this little 4 banger Porsche is hard to get info from some of the top racers out there, but that doesn't scare some of us boost junkie Porsche 4 bangers. I may not have the baddest 3.0 out there, but I'll share all that went into this build with anyone wanting to know how we built this motor and associated parts.

Again, many of have been tooled by lesser cars with proper driving. Races are won by the driver and their cars in THAT order.

I've been SPANKED by better drivers with lesser cars on most occasions, only to enjoy their tutilage as their student.

Should I post this.......without spellcheck????

You try the boost. You like the boost. You want the boost. You get the boost. You use the boost. You want More boost. You are a boost junkie. Where do you get more boost? The boost pusher.

There are several different kinds of boost pushers. First is the junkie pusher. The junkie pusher is selling off his old boost to get more boost. Second is the party pusher doing group boost buys so he can get more boost cheaper. Next is the tech pusher. The tech pusher doesn't actually sell or do anything but he will tell you he always knows the best ways to get more boost. The home brew pusher cooks up his own boost in his garage/shop. Sometimes the home brew pusher sells his stuff, most times it is just for his own boost gratification. Closely related to the home brew pusher is the wrench pusher. The wrench pusher does the wrenching to get others more boost. The wrench pusher can be a boost racing shop, or just that friend always telling you he will help you add more boost. The cash pusher has done well at making his own boost and to support his boost habit makes a business of selling boost. Lastly is the guru pusher man. The guru pusher man has seen it all done it all and has everything needed to kindly guide you down the path to what is the bliss of the boost.

The most important thing maintaining a boost high is the relationship between the boost junkie and boost pusher. To maintain that relationship the boost junkie must always feel his boost pusher is "The Man." Sometimes being "The Man" means getting a good deal on boost, sometimes it means having that special combination of boost, and sometimes it means getting special boost from a secret boost stash.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:47 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Don't even get me started on Track Junkies
Old 02-09-2008, 02:08 AM
Smoker324
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow -- The Stick can turn a phrase can't he -- boost junkie -- classic and right the f on point. I am still snickering at that post... its so true. I admit a am a victim of boost envy too. If only I had the extra pound of boost I KNOW the chicks would dig me...

Has anyone on the board (and other automotive boards FWIW) ever thought that maybe -- just maybe -- most members don't know their boost from their vaccum?

I love the community here, but I find that most have no clue. I mean -- really --how many times do you read about how the Alusil 'coating' that needs to be replaced or heard the query how about 'big' a turbo I need because that 9 inch Komatsu Diesel turbo on ebay is soooo cheap? Where can I find the compressor map for that one anyway???

I fear that most just don't comprehend the sheer complexity of these machines -- and are obsessed with only with the boost number -- or the idea that x diameter exhaust or y bov will make their ride the coolest in town -- and simply buy the magazine claptrap of vendors about this and that -- promises that are marketing not milliseconds.

Maybe, just maybe they don't share their information because they have none.

Just my opinion....

-Dan C.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:19 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Well said RKD. Pretty much sums us all up one way or the other. It is an addiction and I warn people off it. The parallels to a drug addiction are so clear. If someone asks me about what car they should get, particularly if they might track it, unless they've got plenty of cash I almost invariably suggest an n/a car that someone else has already dumped their money/time on and just grab a bargain. As we all know, there was the time when we were all atop that slippery slope and decided to push off and see where we would finish. Most of us haven't got to the bottom yet. God help us all!
Old 02-09-2008, 01:16 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Now that was some funy ****! thanks for the laugh.... I enjoyed that......

Quick Reply: According to a non-lister "We are stingy and selfish"!