Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

should I install a EGT gauge? when i do oil temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:15 PM
Phil R
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should I install a EGT gauge? when i do oil temp gauge

I'm buying the parts I need to install a oil temp gauge and i'm considering installing a EGT gauge to help make sure that I know if something goes wrong and the car starts running hot.

is this worth while? what temp do you consider the danger zone? where should I install the sensor? does one bank run hotter then the others? should I install it in the sniffer port?

I was also thinking about installing a real boost gauge because the stock one does not seem very clear/accurate.

what is the best way to install the oil temp gauge? I was going to tap a hole in the rain plug. is this the preferred method?

I'm going to install these gauge in the spot below the radio because its really the only spot. the visibility isn't great but i'm not a a-piller fan, it looks street racer to me. this is a track car so perhaps I should not worry about looks. can someone comment?
Old 02-04-2008, 11:37 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phil R

Yes... EGT gauges are worth installing. In fact, it's one of the most important gauges you can have.

You need to install per the manufacturers instructions. I would recommend, based on personal experience, the Autometer EGT gauge (many flavors to choose from). They have a matching EGT probe and the calibrated wire to go with it. With the Autometer setup, you weld the bung 1" off of the exhaust port. And in the case of the 951 with a stock intake manifold, you would want to install it on the #4 exhaust runner.

That said... I'm sure there are other high quality EGT gauges out there. Do your homework.

A real boost gauge is good, but if you have a good boost controller and good wastegate (example: Tial 46mm), once you set the boost, it's not gonna change much, so you really don't need a boost gauge in your face. But it is a good thing to have. However, it's not as important as the EGT and A/F ratio gauges.

If you use an A pillar mount, install the EGT and A/F gauge there. Install the boost gauge under the radio along with any other gauges such as a mechanical oil temp and mechanical water temp gauge.

TonyG
Old 02-05-2008, 12:25 AM
Phil R
Instructor

so what am i really learning from a EGT gauge? what temp is safe for a 951 and what should i do it i see temp rise past that point? what should i troubleshoot? the gauge is useless unless I know what it is telling me.

which cylinder is #4 if I'm standing in front of the car?

I dont have a upgraded boost controller or a wastegate. I think my turbo is a similar to a turbo s turbo, little bigger hot side. i just purchased this car and I'm finding stuff that was changed but not documented in the paper work

a/f gauges seem to jump around so much i'm not really sure it will be tell me anything. I'll likely upgrade by turbo to larger wet turbo and then make the transition to standalone but so I'm not comfortable spending money on a/f unless I need it for tuning reasons.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:36 AM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

You need it for tunning reasons, or anything other than stock just to keep an eye on things. I like the AEM wideband because it is in a circular guage and the little bar rotates so eve though it is jumping around, with a quick glance you know roughly where you are and if you have time to look it also gives the digital number. Not just a number rapidly changing.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:44 AM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

plx devices makes great stuff, even oled gauges where you can cycle through all the different sensors or even have many combined on the screen at once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbtvC39I9Qs

plxdevices.com/

i'm waiting for the r-800

http://www.plxdevices.com/NewsLetter...NEWSLETTER.htm

Last edited by jasonlp; 02-05-2008 at 02:15 AM.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:36 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

How accurate do we think it is only running one probe rather than 4? If one is getting hotter than the rest it is likely to be getting masked once merged into 4 isn't it? Seems like if you're going to the trouble, it's worth doing all 4.
Please agree or disagree.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:07 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
How accurate do we think it is only running one probe rather than 4? If one is getting hotter than the rest it is likely to be getting masked once merged into 4 isn't it? Seems like if you're going to the trouble, it's worth doing all 4.
4 is really good when you have a standalone because you can use it to help tune each cyclinder
Old 02-05-2008, 10:20 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xsboost90
i like my laust probe- it averages all four basically- actually may show just a touch hot. EGT is just a meter of lean/rich conditions in the exhaust- like for example if my car is cruising around town and it goes up to 1400+ i know im wayy lean- or if at full throttle its 900 or something it is a tad rich! There is a point where i would like to graph on my zeitronix what chips did what and i can log the egt so its just one more piece of data to look over.
I see ~1500-1600 at steady highway cruise (stoich mixture) measured 2" from the exhaust port...

It's similar at WOT, around 12:1.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:20 AM
lejams
Pro

Originally Posted by 333pg333
+1 and there are EGT gauges (expensive) that will monitor all four with great monitoring features & alerts on one gauge
Old 02-05-2008, 11:25 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

>>>EGT is just a meter of lean/rich conditions in the exhaust- like for example if my car is cruising around town and it goes up to 1400+ i know im wayy lean- or if at full throttle its 900 or something it is a tad rich!<<<

The above statement is not even close to accurate.

If that were the case there would be no need for EGT.

EGT is affected big time by ignition timing as well as air fuel ratio, as well as the type of fuel being burned affecting air fuel ratio/EGT, and by exhaust back pressure. These are all inter-related. One affects the other and so on. It's a balancing act mostly resulting from the limitations of the fuel. The EGT will show you when you're having problems resulting from that balancing act.

In my opinion, EGT is just as important as air/fuel ratio. Both of which are 100x more important than a boost gauge.

I have to take my kids to school. I'll elaborate if someone else hasn't when I get back.

TonyG
Old 02-05-2008, 11:41 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TonyG
>>>EGT is just a meter of lean/rich conditions in the exhaust- like for example if my car is cruising around town and it goes up to 1400+ i know im wayy lean- or if at full throttle its 900 or something it is a tad rich!<<<

The above statement is not even close to accurate.

If that were the case there would be no need for EGT.

EGT is affected big time by ignition timing as well as air fuel ratio, as well as the type of fuel being burned affecting air fuel ratio/EGT, and by exhaust back pressure. These are all inter-related. One affects the other and so on. It's a balancing act mostly resulting from the limitations of the fuel. The EGT will show you when you're having problems resulting from that balancing act.

In my opinion, EGT is just as important as air/fuel ratio. Both of which are 100x more important than a boost gauge.

I have to take my kids to school. I'll elaborate if someone else hasn't when I get back.

TonyG
are you taking them in the v8 951?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

That four channel EGT gauge is awesome, but damn its expensive! I am going to have EGT bungs installed on all four exhaust manifold runners while i have the cylinder head off, but probably only going to run it on #4 for the time being. It will be nice to have the expandability for the future on all four runners.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:31 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ok i mean the egt gauge is reading hot/cold- lean/rich- so my car is not reading right from the head so the temps are slightly lower- ( i was told they would be slightly higher where they all come together)- but to simplify it for the original poster i said leaner/richer - maybe my example wasnt accurate. Been awhile since ive driven my car and watched the EGT gaugebut either way if your exhaust temps are real low you have a problem and if they are real high -1800- there is a different problem. Too rich can also cause things to be hotter and vice-versa. Watching the egt and afm simulatiously is where its at. With a stock car i doubt he'll want to install EGT/AFM/Knock counter etc etc - although it is very handy.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:49 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
That four channel EGT gauge is awesome, but damn its expensive! I am going to have EGT bungs installed on all four exhaust manifold runners while i have the cylinder head off, but probably only going to run it on #4 for the time being. It will be nice to have the expandability for the future on all four runners.
I think ST had data that the #2 was the one to put it on
Old 02-05-2008, 02:06 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

is it number two since that one tends to go lean or is it for other reasons? I saw a project vette years back that had eight EGT gauges in the dashboard- talk about a cockpit.

Quick Reply: should I install a EGT gauge? when i do oil temp gauge