Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Front mount intercoolers

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:04 PM
DasBOOST
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

airflow is good for sure
im just now strung between which IC would do me some justice. i got about 350-400hp in mind (someday....im working on it haha) so im just seeing whats good bad or indifferant
Old 02-10-2008, 06:06 PM
DasBOOST
Advanced

Originally Posted by 333pg333
SFR does one and with an accompanying oil cooler upgrade which seems pretty good. http://www.speedforceracing.com/prod...erupgrades.php
Or get someone to custom fit one to your car. You might also want to consider some venting too. It is possible to block other parts like your radiator and a/c from cool airflow so check out your options.
is this a Speedforce IC or is it a cutsom one?
i see vitesse maf too. hey ur car would run better with an air filter
Old 02-10-2008, 07:41 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Patrick, I have the coarsest core available on mine and my intake temps are still high. There are a few other factors there such as the standard IC pipes, air filter is too small (i think) and airflow could be better. The core is quite thin - 50mm but you are not really meant to go more than 63mm on an IC that sits directly in front of the rad as mine does as it kills the airflow if the two together are too thick. I am looking at make the surface area larger and a new slightly denser core but still 50mm and all new IC pipes, still having the debate on best diameter too. However the new IC will have far better end tank design than the 9m one has which will improve flow and make sure the air gets through the lower tubes. If you saw the pics of the endtanks on the 9m one I have now they do not promote flow through the lower half of the IC, not sure why they did this.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:21 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Tommy interesting what you say on the air filters, I have been thinking this for some time about mine, how big do you suggest is big enough for say 500hp?"

If ya go to the K&N site and I think they have a formula to figure out what size you need for expected CFM airflow (or maybe, I called their tech department). I know the filter is gotta be twice the size as the ones in the photos, here, on this thread, for 500 hp.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:20 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by DasBOOST
is this a Speedforce IC or is it a cutsom one?
i see vitesse maf too. hey ur car would run better with an air filter
The i/c is a custom one made here in Australia by a company that has been doing them for many years. http://plazmaman.com/shop/index.php

The picture that you're referring too was actually taken by Plazma when the air filter was still off the car during installation. We have our filters down into the front left hand fender.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:25 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nick_968
Patrick, I have the coarsest core available on mine and my intake temps are still high. There are a few other factors there such as the standard IC pipes, air filter is too small (i think) and airflow could be better. The core is quite thin - 50mm but you are not really meant to go more than 63mm on an IC that sits directly in front of the rad as mine does as it kills the airflow if the two together are too thick. I am looking at make the surface area larger and a new slightly denser core but still 50mm and all new IC pipes, still having the debate on best diameter too. However the new IC will have far better end tank design than the 9m one has which will improve flow and make sure the air gets through the lower tubes. If you saw the pics of the endtanks on the 9m one I have now they do not promote flow through the lower half of the IC, not sure why they did this.
Well I won't second guess the thermodynamics and flow rates for i/c and pipes as I don't have nearly enough of an idea, but I'd be surprised if just going up in i/c pipes will alleviate your temp issues, but I could be way off base. Are you going up in throttle body size? Having a more efficient i/c with better end tanks + larger pipes, and possibly t-body could help however. I'm trying to think of who would be an i/c expert in here? I know you've posted in here before, maybe try again with this exact question...
Old 02-11-2008, 02:12 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2008, 04:11 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Agree Tommy, and If you are refering to my car that is just a temporary filter.

Last edited by Duke; 02-11-2008 at 04:12 AM. Reason: The qoute disapeared
Old 02-11-2008, 05:37 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
I agree search can be invaluable, but I haven't worked out how to search for a specific answer to a specific question as to cut to the chase rather than sifting for gold. Sometimes you just get lazy and feel that if someone can jump right in with the answer you get more accomplished. Conversely I've done lots of interesting reading by getting carried away on some tangent while searching so both can be beneficial.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:30 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Spend plenty of time searching, but if you can find anywhere that someone has defined the optimal spec for my 3.0 8v (with Vitesse Stage V turbo) intercooling setup on a 968 with optimally sized intercooler pipes, throttle body and airflow that works for the radiator cooling the please show me where.......?

Surely until then its up for discussion right?
Old 02-11-2008, 08:37 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by nick_968
Spend plenty of time searching, but if you can find anywhere that someone has defined the optimal spec for my 3.0 8v (with Vitesse Stage V turbo) intercooling setup on a 968 with optimally sized intercooler pipes, throttle body and airflow that works for the radiator cooling the please show me where.......?

Surely until then its up for discussion right?
There have been SO MANY discussions on this topic, on this board, that a new member is doing themselves a serious disservice by failing to search and really do some reading. As for your specific needs, that is probably worth adding in a 3.0 Ltr IC thread. Especially now that we have a reasonable number of people building and/or running a similar set up to yours.
The 2.5 ltr FMIC discussion has had more reruns than I Love Lucy.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:55 PM
DasBOOST
Advanced

Originally Posted by 333pg333
The i/c is a custom one made here in Australia by a company that has been doing them for many years. http://plazmaman.com/shop/index.php

The picture that you're referring too was actually taken by Plazma when the air filter was still off the car during installation. We have our filters down into the front left hand fender.
which intercooler was that bassed off? cuz its bad ***, and looks damn good btw, wow australia is a long ways away. if i ordered one it take like 6 months to get here lol

Quick Reply: Front mount intercoolers