Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Front mount intercoolers

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 02:06 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

It's an RX7 unit. It's huge, also like 2-2.5" thick.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:09 PM
kiyoskia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMGWTFBBQ?! Something made for the RX-7 fits on the 951?!

Sorry...
Old 02-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Amazingly yes Well, you have to fabricate the mounting brackets and new oil lines etc.
I fabbed up a framework for the oilcooler and IC.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:02 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking for an RX 8 coller when I found a used 968 oil cooler.

I am going to EVENTUALLY go to a Front mount IC. It is 3 inches think instead of 3.5 like the SFR intercoolers so hopefully there won't be the need to cut things up to get it in. I am also going to instal the 968 Oil cooler in place of the old stock Intercooler and fab up some exact ducting to some vents in the header panel.

I am ALSO going to experiment with some exothermic coatings. They are designed for military applications on sound suppressors. They SUPPOSEDLY pull heat out of metal at a much higher rate than normal. I have some on the way and I plan to test some on simple blocks of aluminum.

Projects, Projects...

IPSC
Old 02-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Stock intercooler , with modified end tanks in stock location with stock intake manifold is good for 500 whp.
Do you mean units like the LR stage 1 or 2 ?
Old 02-09-2008, 05:07 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Guys,
Duke is Swedish , it's so cold for so long they stay locked up in 17th century type dungeons fabricating and welding up crazy stuff, everything is done for that 1000 bhp goal , then their creation is released on to the world for those 3 months where the temperatures allow black rubber to grip tarmac, after which the cycle begins again for more crazy welding and fabricating , it is their way , the welding keeps them warm , the crazy thought patterns keep the beer coming , be careful where you thread .....

Originally Posted by Thom
Do you mean units like the LR stage 1 or 2 ?
Not familiar with the LR stuff ......
Old 02-09-2008, 05:24 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IPSC
I was looking for an RX 8 coller when I found a used 968 oil cooler.

I am going to EVENTUALLY go to a Front mount IC. It is 3 inches think instead of 3.5 like the SFR intercoolers so hopefully there won't be the need to cut things up to get it in. I am also going to instal the 968 Oil cooler in place of the old stock Intercooler and fab up some exact ducting to some vents in the header panel.

I am ALSO going to experiment with some exothermic coatings. They are designed for military applications on sound suppressors. They SUPPOSEDLY pull heat out of metal at a much higher rate than normal. I have some on the way and I plan to test some on simple blocks of aluminum.

Projects, Projects...

IPSC
depending on the height you will have to cut with the 3" thick one which is what I have
Old 02-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Guys,
Duke is Swedish , it's so cold for so long they stay locked up in 17th century type dungeons fabricating and welding up crazy stuff, everything is done for that 1000 bhp goal , then their creation is released on to the world for those 3 months where the temperatures allow black rubber to grip tarmac, after which the cycle begins again for more crazy welding and fabricating , it is their way , the welding keeps them warm , the crazy thought patterns keep the beer coming , be careful where you thread .....

I think you might be right, the off season is so long up here we need these kind of projects to keep us occupied!
Old 02-09-2008, 08:14 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

just need to add some vaselin
Old 02-09-2008, 11:06 PM
DasBOOST
Advanced

Originally Posted by anders44
just need to add some vaselin
yea thats hot. sweet

yea the turbo and maf are the next thing on the list.
it sucks im having a hard time deciding where to start the list of mods off at.
i have a new diverter cuz the other one broke.....thats about it. other than that im stock

im leaning towards gauges and chips. then exhaust and WG and go from there. those SPR IC's look damn good tho. do they stack up or has anyone found anything better.

oh and that RX7 intercooler is f-ing massive, very nice
Old 02-10-2008, 05:57 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

my inter cooler is almost identical to Dukes one but mine is only 85mm thick (ample) but was 200 bucks from ebay . And A Wayne your a legend for building hot cars and not being familiar with LR
Old 02-10-2008, 09:39 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, but some of you need to get bigger air filters. You're creating more heat and back pressure with those air filter losses than the gains you're making with the upgraded IC.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:58 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting discussion on the front mounts, do any of you have any problems with your radiators not cooling so well in the summer seeing as you have less airflow to it and the air out of the IC is warmed up. Also you seem to be using quite thick cores for flowing anything through to the radiator. I am about to get a new front mount made, but am looking at a thinner core - either 50mm or 63mm, even 63mm may struggle to leave much air for the radiator which is my biggest concern.

Tommy interesting what you say on the air filters, I have been thinking this for some time about mine, how big do you suggest is big enough for say 500hp?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:01 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Nick the bigger the better you want as little restriction before the turbo as possible
Old 02-10-2008, 05:51 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Nick, I did see one time of overheating but that was just as the piston seized so not sure what happened first. Chicken or Egg situation. For a week of driving on the road I didn't see any rise in temps but we are going to open up that area anyway with some flow through venting. Also it's not just the size of the core that defines flow as there are tighter/coarser porosity values. The people that did mine seem to feel that their core is as good as it gets (yes I know they would) but we're doing the venting anyway. I know you didn't want to cut holes in your car but maybe you won't have to in the UK?

Quick Reply: Front mount intercoolers