toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
Engine 2 - has dry sump, lightened crank, modern pistons (not from a
Cummins), light rods, etc. It takes in 30 pounds of air and
makes 225 RWHP.
I see your point here and agree that with the same X amount of cfm-kg/hr a motor with much better internals will be more efficient and thus be able to produce more hp with the same cfm.

Using John's numbers of 1,000kg/hr max for the stock AFM, that works out to about 480cfm which divided by appx. 1.5 hp made per cfm = 320hp; maybe 10hp +/-
Old 02-01-2008, 12:31 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
could you calibrate the AFM or chips so the AFM is only measureing say 70% of the air going into the engine and have an AFM bypass supplying the other 30%???
As far as the AFM is concerned, you would have to install a stronger spring for the flap to have more resistance. This really isn't something you want to do, also by the time it's recalibrated and new software is designed to match you could have installed an already calibrated MAF.

The problem with the AFM is it's physical limititation. Once the flap is pushed all the way open, it can n longer provide any form of air measurement, thus fuel is out of control. There is no software that can help this.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

Your not considering that ST is never wrong. lol
Ha... I doubt that. He probably puts false info out every once in a while just to screw with us . ST once posted on a thread that he peaked and held 30psi to the redline with a K26-6 turbo. Most people didn't understand the question, so in his defense he may not have either... I may have worded it too vaguely as well. Regardless, I don't believe what anyone on this board says blindly, including special tool.

Regarding my post and turbo tommys response. I'm sorry if you don't understand what I said. Do some google searching for moment of inertia / internal combustion. There are some interesting write up's floating around out there.. I think one from popular hotrodding or some other magazine. When I did some fact checking I saw evidence of a correlation between decreasing the moment of inertia of the clutch + flywheel & faster ET's at the strip. That as has already been discussed is RWHP. But you may choose not to believe that as well. Which is fine. It doesn't hurt my feelings.

In this case though, it is simply physics.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

I see your point here and agree that with the same X amount of cfm-kg/hr a motor with much better internals will be more efficient and thus be able to produce more hp with the same cfm.
This also means that with better internals you should be able to do more with the stock AFM. You will see more RWHP before maxing out the sensor.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:44 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smokintr6
This also means that with better internals you should be able to do more with the stock AFM. You will see more RWHP before maxing out the sensor.
This is exactly right, again.
I have proven this, obviously by datalogging my mass air(for about 3 years now) before and after and during all testing.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:56 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

missed my point about AFM by bass the idea of the bypass is that when your afm reads 95% there is say 250CFM going through the air flow meter and 200 cfm going through a fixed size bypass giving 450 measured cfm with an AFM rated at 255cfm . just like Karmen vortex afm you just measure some of the air . and then account for this in your fuel mapping .
even if you put a second AFM in parallel and doubled your injector size and started there
Old 02-01-2008, 07:41 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
missed my point about AFM by bass the idea of the bypass is that when your afm reads 95% there is say 250CFM going through the air flow meter and 200 cfm going through a fixed size bypass giving 450 measured cfm with an AFM rated at 255cfm . just like Karmen vortex afm you just measure some of the air . and then account for this in your fuel mapping .
even if you put a second AFM in parallel and doubled your injector size and started there
That could work, it would be similar to what would happen if you installed a stiffer spring on the "door". It would take more CFM to push it open and therefore more CFM to max it out.

But.....why man, why?!?
Old 02-01-2008, 11:55 PM
tman
Pro

My car did just over 280 rwhp with afm, running pig rich.
Way below 10 a/f.
I think everyone agrees that the afm has to go to make decent hp,
so whats the point.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:00 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

yeh but a stiffer spring would give you the same max flow and kill midrange throttle response . maybe stiffen the spring if you set up the AFM in a blow through set up

Quick Reply: 330 HP with AFM?