Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

help diagnosing clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 01:38 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help diagnosing clutch problem

I was on my warm up laps at a track day Saturday and the clutch felt strange. I brought it in and checked for leaks...none.

To make a long story short, I disassembled all the hydraulics and bleed the system. The clutch fork moves full stroke (checked from the access hole in the bell housing). I can push the car in gear with the clutch in but it is difficult telling me there is some drag on the clutch. It will not go in gear with the motor running (confirming clutch drag) but rows through the gears fine with the motor off (leaves out bad trans or torque tube). The clutch pedal has resistance and returns to the stop but it is really light.

I have a KEP2, Fidanza flywheel and a cup disk. The clutch is about 40k miles old.

Does this sound like a cracked PP diaphragm spring or a balled up friction disk? It is odd it broke now and especally on the warm up laps, I was not beating on it and I dont make over 300 hp.

I will get it out of there soon but just wanted some opinions on what it could be.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:03 PM
phlip
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Sean,
Phil here, I met you at Matts open house last year. It sounds like the clutch fork is broken. I had one of the fingers that pull the release bearing break on me while the other was fine. Had the same symptom, lighter than normal feel,
would not go in gear with engine running. Look through the large inspectiom hole while some one operates the clutch, you might see the bearing twisting
when clutch is depressed.
Hows Az. When you coming back to Dallas?
Old 01-28-2008, 02:26 PM
eniac
Drifting

Originally Posted by phlip
Hey Sean,
Phil here, I met you at Matts open house last year. It sounds like the clutch fork is broken. I had one of the fingers that pull the release bearing break on me while the other was fine. Had the same symptom, lighter than normal feel,
would not go in gear with engine running. Look through the large inspectiom hole while some one operates the clutch, you might see the bearing twisting
when clutch is depressed.
Hows Az. When you coming back to Dallas?
I would also suspect the clutch fork. I had one break on me about 4 years ago. The clutch started to feel strange then a week or so later of daily driving, the pedal gradually became more and more difficult to push in. Eventually I wasn't able to even change gears while the engine was running.

My clutch fork had cracked in half and slowly bend more each time I pressed the clutch in until it no longer functioned at all.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:46 PM
bscpanther
Racer

clutch fork finger all day. Same thing happened to me. One of the fingers cracked and bent back but still remained attached just enough to mess with your mind.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:33 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Thanks guys. sounds like the fork is a real possibility. At least it is cheap(er) than a full clutch job.

Phil, AZ is great and I dont know when I will be back in TX.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:16 PM
special tool
Banned

Oh boy - I am going to have to write a sticky now.

This is the THIRD instance with the stage 2 .
Your PP is broken at the forks.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:35 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Pressure Plate finger(s) damage sounds most likely
If pilot bearing (Bushing) is scored it can hang up and cause "drag" also, but seemly unlikely to happen all of a sudden
Old 02-19-2008, 01:27 PM
azmi951
Drifting

It was the fork. One of the arms cracked just like Phil was saying.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:56 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

what is causing this- a pre-cracked finger being stressed or too stiff of a pp for the stock fork? Do they make a heavier fork?
Old 02-19-2008, 03:54 PM
eniac
Drifting

I believe what caused mine to break was the release bearing binding somehow which led to excessive stress on only one side of the fork. I changed every piece of the clutch system and haven't had any problems since.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:06 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by azmi951
Thanks guys. sounds like the fork is a real possibility. At least it is cheap(er) than a full clutch job.

Phil, AZ is great and I dont know when I will be back in TX.
Lol, not really, since you will be in there anyways, even with only 40k miles on the clutch, I would be changing it out.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:31 PM
azmi951
Drifting

I did order a new disk.

Quick Reply: help diagnosing clutch problem