Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

mechanical oil pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:37 PM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mechanical oil pressure gauge

has anyone installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge?
how and which one
the more info install mount etc the better
Old 01-23-2008, 10:50 PM
turboted
Racer

I'm in the exact same situation...would LOVE to know who has done this successfully, and how. I've been searching for an adapter to install in place of the sending unit, as this seems like the best place to put a mechanical gauge. But finding the right M18x1.5 fitting to work with my gauge is proving to be a real bitch.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:19 PM
maximus951
Advanced

I installed a VDO oil & boost from eGauges they have everything you need for mechanical or electrical oil pressure units. I've read/heard about guys piggy backing off of the factory sender. For mine (oil temp) I bought an extra oil drain plug and tapped it with 1/4 pipe threads to accept the temperature sending unit. I don't think that the bottom of the oil pan is the best reference point for oil pressure though.
Here's a pic of how it turned out. I used 2 pieces of black 1/8" ABS sandwiched with silicone to get the recessed look. Good luck!

http://www.egauges.com/vdo_grou.asp?Series=Vision
Attached Images  
Old 01-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A friend of mine salvaged the threaded portion and nut off a defunct old sender and installed a mechanical sender / line from there. The only downside is you will loose the function of the original gauge on the dash.

Also i noticed on the n/a oil cooler housings there is a threaded hex cap plug that is right next to the oil pressure sending unit, though mounted facing forward. Ive read this is the same thread as the hex cap plug. However on my 951 and another i looked at there is no cap here, but rather a block off plate.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:14 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

why machanical ??? more accurate or reliable ???
Old 01-24-2008, 05:12 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can either fabricate a spacer (which you would tap your mechanical oil pressure line into) to go between the stock oil pressure sender and the oil filter housing or you can tap the oil filter housing just below the oil pressure sender.

The problem with fabricating a spacer to go between the stock oil pressure sender and the oil filter housing is that it will cause the stock oil pressure sender to extend down too far and rub against the frame rail when the engine moves, which will cause the stock electrical sender to fail.

The other solution is to simply tap and thread the oil filter housing just before the stock oil pressure sender (best). That way the stock oil pressure sender is in the stock location unaffected.

>>>why machanical ??? more accurate or reliable ???<<<

Far more reliable. More gauge resolution (270 degree needle sweep vs "only" 90 degree needle sweep)

Here's a pic of what I fabricated to go between the stock oil pressure sender and the oil pressure housing... which I ultimately ended up removing and simply drilled/tapped the oil filter housing itself.

TonyG
Old 01-24-2008, 08:03 AM
chilibluepepper
Racer

Here is a poor man's adapter. I cannibalized the threaded portion of the stock pressure sender, the part resembling a bolt. I drilled and tapped it to 1/8 NP, and installed a male NPT to male -4 AN. For the pressure line I used premade -4 brake line sections.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: mechanical oil pressure gauge