Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Possible job op in Pori Finland, should I bring the 968US cab or the930Euro? thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:23 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 169 Posts
Default Possible job op in Pori Finland, should I bring the 968US cab or the930Euro? thoughts

Hello all- I know we have a wide base of members and was hoping someone might enlighten me on the use of, or rare use of a 930 or a 968 cab in Finland. I have not been that far north since I was a child. I work for Areva and I may have an opportunity to take a position there outside of Pori. The company will provide me a home with a garage (so they say) and allot me 10K for vechicle purchase or transport.

IS it worth trying to import my 968 cab or my Euro spec 930 back over to drive and enjoy for the 2-3 years I am there? Does the weather allow for much dry or convertable driving and are there places to drive the car at higher spirited speeds? I will be able to have a second car but did not want to spend the allowance if it is just not pratical.

What would my car be worth in Finland? 968 here is 12-16K USD or the 930 is 32-42K USD- would it be more or less there??

Any advice would be very helpful and appreciated- BTW I had been a long time 951 guy and might remember some of you -so "hello again" it's been awhile----Mike
Old 01-16-2008, 11:39 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing but with the dollar extremely low right now US goods are cheap to europeans so maybe take the 930 and plan on selling it when you leave?
Old 01-17-2008, 12:16 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the 930 and take tons of pictures
Old 01-17-2008, 02:20 AM
Glen Watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guns951
Take the 930 and take tons of pictures
Speaking of pics, when should we expect to see more?

-sorry to thread-jack
Old 01-17-2008, 03:12 AM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by notthd
Hello all- I know we have a wide base of members and was hoping someone might enlighten me on the use of, or rare use of a 930 or a 968 cab in Finland. I have not been that far north since I was a child. I work for Areva and I may have an opportunity to take a position there outside of Pori. The company will provide me a home with a garage (so they say) and allot me 10K for vechicle purchase or transport.
Welcome! So you are into building nuclear powerplants?

IS it worth trying to import my 968 cab or my Euro spec 930 back over to drive and enjoy for the 2-3 years I am there? Does the weather allow for much dry or convertable driving and are there places to drive the car at higher spirited speeds? I will be able to have a second car but did not want to spend the allowance if it is just not pratical.
The season starts mid April ( if we're lucky ) or latest in the beginning of May, but weather is variable ( read: may be cool with rain) until mid May. Season ends at October, but after mid September the possibility of rain increases. Typical summer is mostly sunny with temps 18-25C, but lately we've seen lot of 20-30C's too.

Higher spirited speeds...not recommended in public road, the fines are incredible, and I really mean it. BUT, the closest track with lots of open practise is at Alastaro, less tha 1 hr driving from Pori. http://www.alastaro.fi/Default.aspx?id=347191 While it's basically in the middle of nowhere and the facilities are not world class, it's fast, wide and has wide smooth areas for occasional mishaps... Then we have few other tracks within 2-4 hrs drive. I suggest you to contact the Porsche Club of Finland when you arrive, we have lots of activities going on during the summer, including a yearly week's trip to the 'Ring.

What would my car be worth in Finland? 968 here is 12-16K USD or the 930 is 32-42K USD- would it be more or less there??
S2 cabs are few for sale at this moment with asking price around 19k€, but usually all go 10% less. 968 cabs were sold here less than 10 ( as new, and I know few more imported ones ) , the market was then, and still is quite limited. I'd say that in the whole country we have less than 3000 Porsches.
About 930...if you find the right buyer, you'll get 30-35k€.
Before importing any of your cars, study carefully local tax regulations, there's few not-so-fun parts about importing and using foreign registered cars, not to mention selling those...

If you want to check possible pricing, scan though www.mobile.de. While it's German used car market place, it'll get you a hunch about pricing in Finland...our prices are 10-20% higher because of import taxes. But as I said, the market is limited. But you can always sell the car to Germany or Sweden too.

Any advice would be very helpful and appreciated- BTW I had been a long time 951 guy and might remember some of you -so "hello again" it's been awhile----Mike
I hope this helps!

Pete

PS: When here, check www.9xxfin.com . It's local Rennlist.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:57 AM
Vilhuer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

I would say both cars are worth in here same in euros as they are in $ in US. In order to have any sense in importing either one in here you would need to sell it away when you leave Finland. Also you would have to have owned car you import for at least 6 months to get tax exempt when bring it in. Without exempt there is little point in bringing especially 968 as they can be easily found from Germany. 930 importation would make more sense as there aren't many in the country and there is always demand for them.

What ever you do don't get caught on speeding. Fine is directly based on your income and they are heavy as Pete says. There is fine calculator in police web pages:
http://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/lp/hom...C?opendocument
- In Teko dropdown list select for example Ylinopeus 25 km/h, rajoitus yli 60 km/h which is 25 kph over limit when limit is 60 kph or more.
- Type in monthly net income to Nettotulo euroa / kk box.
- Select how many underage kids you have to Huollettavia dropdown.
- You can leave value of taxable property Verotettava omaisuus to default value.
- Fine is calculated to Sakko box.

Local used car adds:
http://www.nettiauto.com/home.php?sitelang=1

PCF web pages, only in finnish though:
http://www.porsche-club.fi

PS. Pete, sano Sipolle ja kavereille kun olet yhteyksissä, että kerhon sivuille pitäis kyllä saada joku yleistietosivu myös englanniksi ja miksi ei myös ruotsiksi jne.

Quick Reply: Possible job op in Pori Finland, should I bring the 968US cab or the930Euro? thoughts