Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cleaning up my 86

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 03:00 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cleaning up my 86

Last week I got started on my 86 951, it has some oil leaks, exhaust leaks and generally a fair bit of rust on the iron work thanks to its time in the UK. I decided to pull the motor out to do all the seals and clean it up properly. While I wait for some parts to arrive I got stuck into blasting and wire brushing the iron parts and sent them to the electro-platers yesterday. I got them back today and they did a great job so it will look tidy when it goes back together.
Attached Images    
Old 01-15-2008, 03:06 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dayumn... did you like throw mud onto the engine to make it look dirtier for those first pics?
Old 01-15-2008, 03:07 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice!
Old 01-15-2008, 04:04 AM
normansan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet! Can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:09 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks real nice. I did the same, but saved some elbow grease when i prepared my parts putting them into the citric acid bath for several hours. No need to clean parts mechanically at all, just rinsed them with warm water. After that i send them to the platers

Old 01-15-2008, 04:49 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Olli, I remember that pic, very impressive. I didn't use citric acid (sounds like that worked well). I did use a combination of high pressure washing followed by media blasting some parts. and I took most parts to the wire wheel to put a sheen on them. Judging by the look of your pic, you still managed to get a good shine on your parts which is pretty good if you did so without ant mechanical effort. I might get a hold of some citric acid and do some more parts for a comparison. I did use caustic soda to dissolve the anodizing on the intercooler pipes, that was very effective.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:25 AM
special tool
Banned

OZ- you bought this car from UK, or it was shipped there, then you bought it after?
Old 01-15-2008, 10:30 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

very nice i want to see this thing built. Btw its nice being single since you call put all of those parts on the dinner table.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

OZ, I see you haven't lost your appetite for a challenge after all you went through with your yellow US spec 951.

Looking forward to watching this one take form!
Old 01-15-2008, 11:39 AM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
OZ, I see you haven't lost your appetite for a challenge after all you went through with your yellow US spec 951.

Looking forward to watching this one take form!
That's what I was thinking.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:08 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by special tool
OZ- you bought this car from UK, or it was shipped there, then you bought it after?
Someone else bought it (used) in the UK while they were living there and then they brought it back to Australia 5 or six years ago. There was pretty significant surface corrosion on things like all the rear brake hardlines (which I have had to replace - hence now I own a metric bubble flare tool and a variety of tube benders). I also had they joy of rusted brake caliper bolts shearing off in the front steering knuckles. So my intention has been to replace and clean up that sort of stuff and fix the oil leaks, PS leaks & exhaust leaks.

I dont plan on modding this one too much other than some intake and exhaust work. Oh and various bits that came off the yellow 951 like the Koni's and torsion bars and so on.

Reno, I told my wife about your comments, she had a laugh. We got married in California in Oct last year.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:25 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OZ951
Someone else bought it (used) in the UK while they were living there and then they brought it back to Australia 5 or six years ago. There was pretty significant surface corrosion on things like all the rear brake hardlines (which I have had to replace - hence now I own a metric bubble flare tool and a variety of tube benders). I also had they joy of rusted brake caliper bolts shearing off in the front steering knuckles. So my intention has been to replace and clean up that sort of stuff and fix the oil leaks, PS leaks & exhaust leaks.

I dont plan on modding this one too much other than some intake and exhaust work. Oh and various bits that came off the yellow 951 like the Koni's and torsion bars and so on.

Reno, I told my wife about your comments, she had a laugh. We got married in California in Oct last year.

Congrats my friend. She is a keeper
Old 01-15-2008, 04:28 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by OZ951

That ain't right, dude.

Do you let her keep makeup in your toolbox (HER makeup, not yours)
Old 02-02-2008, 06:31 PM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Making progress on the clean up and various maintenance work on the 86 951. I am just waiting on the return of some modified AC lines before I put the motor back in. Hopefully on the road next weekend.

I made a web page for this car here http://www.oz951.com/public/sister.htm

I had planned to put the motor in yesterday but since the AC lines didnt come back I polished the manifold instead.
Attached Images  
Old 02-02-2008, 08:10 PM
hally
Rennlist Member

inspirational oz

Quick Reply: Cleaning up my 86