Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Swiss "951 Turbo RS" project thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:13 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dry ice is good for the mats on the floor of the car, especially the one under the feet of the driver/passenger is **** to remove, all the other ones use a big flat scrape and a heatgun.

the passenger/driver mats will come off in very small chunks and takes forever, I tried heat and nothing, chemicals etc on them, dry ice was the best. I used small

wouldn't happen to have stock doorhandle laying around?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:10 PM
future
Banned

Beni ... Thanks for the contribution mate Keep them posts coming.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 951rs
1.2bar ECU upgrade - Kekso and Luis de Prat:

No, this is not about ETG Giessen (Rolf Dieter Eichner)

The engineers name is Thomas Voight. He owns a 968 Turbo S and a 924 Carrera GT. We will be distributing his products (worldwide except for the northern american market), he does no longer sell them directly. We will also have BOSCH-based bolt-in stealth MAF kits that work plug and play, no tuning required...

This new 1.2bar kit will be ready for serial production in spring 2008.

Cheers

Beni
I really like what you and your friend future are doing. After 7 years owning this 951 it's great to finally see some locally available product options here in Europe. These are European cars, after all!
Old 01-15-2008, 05:06 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Btw, does anybody know if euro spec rear bumpers are a bolt-on mod to US spec cars? Any differences?
Sali Beni,

it's a direct swap. You also need to remove those US spec shock absorbers and replace them with ROW attacment "irons".
Old 01-15-2008, 05:48 PM
kekso22
AutoX

No, this is not about ETG Giessen (Rolf Dieter Eichner)

The engineers name is Thomas Voight. He owns a 968 Turbo S and a 924 Carrera GT. We will be distributing his products (worldwide except for the northern american market), he does no longer sell them directly. We will also have BOSCH-based bolt-in stealth MAF kits that work plug and play, no tuning required...

This new 1.2bar kit will be ready for serial production in spring 2008.
Hi Beni

do you have already a web site?
Old 01-15-2008, 05:58 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

P.S: If you guys need something from germany or a translator, let Mark (future) or me know…
Is it cheaper to get Porsche/BOSCH parts from Germany and have someone ship them to the states?
Old 01-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toddk911
Is it cheaper to get Porsche/BOSCH parts from Germany and have someone ship them to the states?
Nope. Most Bosch parts available in the U.S. are manufactured locally and cost less than here in Europe. Plus the US$ exchange rate versus the € doesn't help.

I just bought a Bosch O2 sensor from a U.S. vendor that cost me a lot less than it would have locally.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:33 PM
waynelambright
Instructor

I like the hood vents.

I wonder how much the engine bay is cooled by them and what if any performance gain you would receive.

example: with vents covered "normal" the engine compartment is 260 degrees.
example: with vents UN-covered the engine compartment is 210 degrees.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:20 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by waynelambright
I like the hood vents.

I wonder how much the engine bay is cooled by them and what if any performance gain you would receive.

Yeah, not a bad idea and easily done.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:35 PM
nize
Banned

oh my.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:39 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waynelambright
I like the hood vents.

the low pressure over the hood will suck the high pressure (heat) out of the engine bay. open your sunroof at about 60 mph, then cloe it. then reopen it, and you'll feel the actual difference. It will be magnified by the temp of the engine bay.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:19 AM
future
Banned

Thanks ehall that is a very valid coment and is exactly how extraction vents work. Basically heat rises as we all know.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:47 PM
951rs
Former Vendor

Hi all

Regarding the prices of Porsche parts Luis is basically right, I would say that in general spare parts prices between Germany and the U.S tend to be comparable to the prices of new cars...a 997 turbo bought in the U.S is a bargain compared to the german price (politics)...

However, I have been told by many german contacts that various parts may be purchased much cheaper from the factory directly, presumed that you have the right contacts, off course. I'll have a chat tomorrow with a Zuffenhausen contact from the warehouse and check what options there are, I guess that there are many 951 enthusiast who would not say no to a new coolant expansion tank (#951-106-025-02) if the price is right, which it definitely is not at 150 bucks...or OEM engine mounts or similar items which require replacement sooner or later with our youngtimers...
I currently don't want to guarantee anything but if this turns out to be a "nice- price" OEM source, we might want to organize some coordinated spare part fests

Regarding the bonnet vents I also consider Waynes point as a very good one.
Besides confirming what has already been mentioned I would also say that performance gain will be significant if somebody has fitted an aftermarket sport air filter (that's how we call them here) directly in the engine bay. Personally I think these are useless (for turbo engines), especially if you don't separate the air intake area from the rest of the engine compartment (most US cars I have seen don't have a proper separation). In the non-separated configuration I would expect significant performance gain with these vents and an upgraded front panel fitted...

I have read in a thermodynamics book that the performance of an average turbocharged engine improves approx. 3% when lowering the intake air temperature for 10 degrees. Let us assume a temperature drop of 60 degrees and that the engine gets its air directly from the engine compartment. We would have a performance gain of 18%. A 300bhp car would theoretically become a 350bhp car. Theoretically only, off course.
However, I think that it is quite difficult to simulate the differences on the dyno as it will be very hard to simulate "real-world" air flow both on the front and going over the car on the dyno...

What concerns the heat buidling up in the engine bay when running 200+ on the german autobahn, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bxb25nRCIo

quite impressive, isn't it?

Vents will be for sale for the US market beginning / mid of February, I currently
have only one set left which I probably have to store in a safe deposit box to prevent it from being stolen

PM me if you want to get on the list of potential buyers

Cheers
Beni
Old 01-17-2008, 04:52 PM
951rs
Former Vendor

kekso - we are very busy working on these and will launch them at latest beginning of February. We will present lots of interesting high quality products for the Transaxle models...stay tuned!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

We will present lots of interesting high quality products for the Transaxle models...stay tuned!
Looking forward to it!

Quick Reply: Swiss "951 Turbo RS" project thread