Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

3.0L engines and dual mass flywheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 03:30 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Well I can't answer that since I've never had an engine "balanced" or talked with any machinists or builders about that.

But from what I've gathered, they carefully measure and remove material from the parts. I imagine they have nice equipment and machines for mounting and measuring. I don't know if spinning is involved. In the end, the distribution of mass is less lopsided so it will vibrate less. The idea is to bring the center of mass (aka center of gravity) as close to the spin axis as possible.

Why wouldn't you consider such an engine balanced? The BS kills the harmonics, and the reworked parts should have a near-perfect center of mass.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:04 AM
fastmover
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

when they balance the rotating assembly, they attach the flywheel and crankpulley/dampner, then they weight the piston, wrist pin, connecting rods and bearings. then they take that weight from the appropiate piston and rod assembly and configure a bobweight and attach it to the crank in the proper cylinder position on the crank, they do the same for all 4 pistons and rods, then they spin the crank with the bobweights attached, which will identify area's of unbalance, in which they remove metal in the crankshaft or add in the proper spots. they do this untill they reach the target unbalance or zero balance, which ever the spec or customer calls for. It is alot like balancing a tire, but for the rotating assembly. You can also have the assy weighed and all pistons and connecting rods matched in weight by removing metal from the heavier units to matched the lightest unit of the bunch. If you ever have an engine apart it is worthwhile to have this done it is not very expensive, it should also be a must if you use lightweight components.

Semper fi.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Vilhuer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmover
when they balance the rotating assembly, they attach the flywheel and crankpulley/dampner
I would bet 944 crank is internally balanced meaning flywheel and pulley are not included in crank balancing and they are zero balanced on their own.

Video shows how its done but in this case crank is externally balanced and thus flywheel is included.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxWp2J1WG0A
Old 01-17-2008, 02:40 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill
Yes a heavy damper was installed on the 3 litre S2 to reduce vibrations. On the 968 3 litre engine, Porsche did a number of changes to increase output. With each cylinder's volume at 750cc, increasing volume was not concidered an option. To increase output, it was decided to increase the rpm limit of 5,800rpm that was the maximum on the S2 to 6,200rpm on the 968. The Pistons and rods were forged and were significantly lightened. This weight reduction in turn moved the crankshafts "forth order" natural frequency of vibration outside the engines normal rev range, allowing the heavy crankshaft torsional vibration damper (weighting 5.5lb) to be discarded.
Bill, 5.5 lbs weight loss from pistons and rods seems very high. Do you have a source for this information? It should be easy to find out if its actually true. I just have a hard time believing that 4 pistons and 4 rods can save you 5.5lbs.
Just curious.
Raj
Old 01-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Vilhuer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Weight saving didn't come from pistons as 944 S2 and 968 pistons weigh practically same 490-500g IIRR. 968 rods are lighter but 5.5lbs / 4 = same as entire rod weight. There is no way that can be correct.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:10 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vilhuer
Weight saving didn't come from pistons as 944 S2 and 968 pistons weigh practically same 490-500g IIRR. 968 rods are lighter but 5.5lbs / 4 = same as entire rod weight. There is no way that can be correct.
Thank you!
That is why I questioned that. It seems almost impossible.
Raj
Old 01-17-2008, 03:23 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Raj, he meant the S2 damper pulley weighs 5.5 lbs.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:29 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

I understand Arash, but he is also saying that enough weight was lost on the pistons and rods to warrant losing the 5.5lb vibration damper. I would assume the weight loss to be atleast equivalant to the 5.5 lbs for them to dump the damper.
Am I assuming incorrectly?
Regards.
Raj

Last edited by RajDatta; 01-17-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:56 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Raj,
This is how I understand it. I don't think 5.5lbs necessarily needs to be removed to enable deleting a 5.5lb damper. It only takes a few ounces to set a rotating assembly off balance, and if you want to exactly counter this unbalance, you could remove a few ounces in the exact right place... or if you want to just muffle the vibrations you can make the whole thing heavier, thereby diluting those few ounces of unbalance. The larger total mass makes those few ounces less significant.

This is just how I understand it, might very well be wrong or incomplete... I've never seen the S2 damper pulley, but I assume it's just a symmetric weight?
Old 01-17-2008, 11:58 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by fastmover
when they balance the rotating assembly, they attach the flywheel and crankpulley/dampner, then they weight the piston, wrist pin, connecting rods and bearings. then they take that weight from the appropiate piston and rod assembly and configure a bobweight and attach it to the crank in the proper cylinder position on the crank, they do the same for all 4 pistons and rods, then they spin the crank with the bobweights attached, which will identify area's of unbalance, in which they remove metal in the crankshaft or add in the proper spots. they do this untill they reach the target unbalance or zero balance, which ever the spec or customer calls for. It is alot like balancing a tire, but for the rotating assembly. You can also have the assy weighed and all pistons and connecting rods matched in weight by removing metal from the heavier units to matched the lightest unit of the bunch. If you ever have an engine apart it is worthwhile to have this done it is not very expensive, it should also be a must if you use lightweight components.

Semper fi.
That's pretty much the answer I have been looking for. Not that I see that as being quite as perfect as the factory, but it sure sounds better than just chucking all these random items together and hoping for the best.

Quick Reply: 3.0L engines and dual mass flywheels