Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone running a FULL B&B exhaust system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Anyone running a FULL B&B exhaust system?

I purchased a new B&B test pipe a while ago because I got a killer deal on it but I'm still not certain which direction to go with the exhaust. I'd like to replace the stock turbo downpipe with a 3" & definitely run a test pipe as MI doesn't have emissions testing.

I've been researching the other B&B products available for the 951 and might be interested in running the header/test pipe/rear exhaust because it should all bolt together perfectly (?)... I read the European Car article & they seemed impressed with the low end gains they realised with the B&B header and cat back.

Does anyone here currently use the FULL B&B system, including the test pipe? If yes, what are the real life pros & cons?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2008, 01:30 AM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the B&B system is 2.5 inches diameter, so a 3 inch downpipe wouldn't be worth buying.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 243 Posts

Thanks for the clarification - I wasn't sure...

So, would I be better off going with a full 3" exhaust/headers/downpipe/test pipe etc from another manufacturer like fabspeed or sfr? Or would the full B&B system provide enough improvement? I'm not really looking for a screaming exhaust or a track application - just hoping to free up the stock exhaling problem & allow the K27 turbo to spool quicker.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:41 PM
944CS
Drifting

Well, the B&B sounds the best. In my opinion a major part of the driving experience of a sports car is how it sounds. A lot of exhausts make the 944 sound like a tractor. The Turbo helps to quicken the pulse frequency compared with the non turbo 944's, but from what I've heard on the fabspeed website, their exhaust still manages to make it sound like a tractor, not a german sports car. You're going to have to find your own compromise of sound/performance. If you are not using a catalytic converter, what exhaust you go with will have a minimal effect on performance. I say go for the one that you think sounds the best/you can afford.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:07 AM
S2cab
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nurburger

I've been researching the other B&B products available for the 951 and might be interested in running the header/test pipe/rear exhaust because it should all bolt together perfectly (?)... I read the European Car article & they seemed impressed with the low end gains they realised with the B&B header and cat back.
IIRC, the article stated that you gained low end, but didn't gain or lose anything up top. It appears that it was engineered to improve the power delivery of a stock turbo.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:27 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its pointless going to a 3in downpipe unless your running either an sfr true testpipe or a lindsey exhaust with the v banded connection between the downpipe and testpipe. Otherwise its just going through a reducer anyway

Quick Reply: Anyone running a FULL B&B exhaust system?