Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Custom lower and wider front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:46 PM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful work and an elegant solution. It will be interesting to see how it takes a hit and holds up long term.

I've taken a few hits on the front but fortunately for me the suspension has never been damaged. Fenders and wheels, yes. I could probably fold the car in half before the charlie arms give up. I even nailed a BMW I was lapping - just like your video.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:50 PM
sawood12
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A very elegent solution. I always thing that the simplest engineering solution are often the most elegant and usually work better.

From the photos (if i'm reading them right) it looks like your front mount has been raised (i.e. to lower the car) but it looks like your castor mount has been moved inboard but not raised. Is this right and if so why is this? What advantage/benefit does having unequal length sides to your V arm have?
Old 01-03-2008, 05:52 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

gotto love it hans, good thing you have done it before, so it's easy for you do do it again when I'm around

your car/widebody thread has spread to misc car forums over the world as well good work.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Not sure if it would help with clearances, but you can always tie the sway bar to the strut, rather than retaining the stock attachment point.

Very nice work. My only comment would have to do with the angle of the tie rods. I could be looking at it wrong, but it seems like you'd have some serious bumpsteer.

-Jon
Old 01-03-2008, 06:32 PM
HansB
Pro

Originally Posted by sawood12
A very elegent solution. I always thing that the simplest engineering solution are often the most elegant and usually work better.

From the photos (if i'm reading them right) it looks like your front mount has been raised (i.e. to lower the car) but it looks like your castor mount has been moved inboard but not raised. Is this right and if so why is this? What advantage/benefit does having unequal length sides to your V arm have?
That would be a "trompe d'oeil" as the French would say. It has exactly the same position as the original one, only then the caster block would have been mounted under the flange, now it is you could say "in" the flange.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:36 PM
HansB
Pro

Originally Posted by Jon Moeller
Not sure if it would help with clearances, but you can always tie the sway bar to the strut, rather than retaining the stock attachment point.
Yes, agree, but where do I find such a sway bar? We just welded an attachment point so I could at least have a swaybar

Very nice work. My only comment would have to do with the angle of the tie rods. I could be looking at it wrong, but it seems like you'd have some serious bumpsteer.
It looks worse then it is, there is some left, some of the bushings will be adapted to fix the angle.

Last edited by HansB; 01-03-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:37 PM
HansB
Pro

Originally Posted by anders44
gotto love it hans, good thing you have done it before, so it's easy for you do do it again when I'm around

your car/widebody thread has spread to misc car forums over the world as well good work.

Can be done in about a week, so you would not need a long holiday!
Old 01-03-2008, 06:44 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HansB
I had the same discussion with the guy who made this.

According to him the stiffness of the structure between the two mounting points is such, that any reinforcement of the A (or in this case V) arm contributes very little. The majority of the load would come to the front rod and that is a lot stronger than the original aluminum setup.

He has build the same solution on rally cars, where the loads are much higher.
So I decided to trust him.
I agree.

I believe that the cross-brace was originally used for composite tubs in Formula cars where you are trying to prevent the A-arm from punching right through and injuring the driver.

From there, it was probably one of those things where the next guy to design an a-arm said "well, that looks like a good idea...I'll do the same thing"

That setup looks really nice and exactly how a race car should look.

How can you grow the track by an inch without ending up with a ton of negative camber?
Old 01-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Looks like a great solution, nice work. I wish our rules would allow us to do this type of modification.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:04 PM
HansB
Pro

Originally Posted by adrial

How can you grow the track by an inch without ending up with a ton of negative camber?
Good Q! Luckily we have thought about that.
4 answers:
  • It can vary by an inch an a bit, and it is set in a way, that when in future I would want to drive a larger rims size I could make it a bit shorter.
  • I always run at least 3 deg negative camber.
  • We have changed the strut in a way that we can kind of shim the original camber position to any of three what would have been fixed positive settings
  • There is still some room left in the top camber plate.

One cm extra width is about one neg. degree of camber
Old 01-03-2008, 07:12 PM
HansB
Pro

Originally Posted by Wormhole
Very Nice setup. Did you have to cut into the frame to raise the rear pickup point where the caster block was?
Forgot to answer your Q. Yes, we had to cut in the frame a bit.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:42 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For the sway bar I don't think it would be too difficult to adapt a tarret sway bar(it is a straight torsion bar with a lever attached)
Old 01-04-2008, 05:45 AM
tommo951
Burning Brakes

Very impressive Hans!! Would love to see your car sometime. I do get over the Netherlands in the summer. I have gone with the Kokeln rear torsion delete too so may be after some set up tips!
Old 01-04-2008, 05:57 AM
HansB
Pro

Originally Posted by tommo951
Very impressive Hans!! Would love to see your car sometime. I do get over the Netherlands in the summer. I have gone with the Kokeln rear torsion delete too so may be after some set up tips!
Would be nice! Almost every Thursday you can drive on the Zolder circuit, just south of the Dutch border, provided you got a racers license. Perhaps an idea?
Old 01-04-2008, 05:58 AM
HansB
Pro

Originally Posted by thingo
For the sway bar I don't think it would be too difficult to adapt a tarret sway bar(it is a straight torsion bar with a lever attached)

Looked at that, but I need one that is 6-8 inches longer. Do not know if they could make that.

Quick Reply: Custom lower and wider front suspension