What do you think??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 12:31 PM
eatiles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think??

For the moment these are my plans for my 1987 951
Turbo upgrade to K26/8 (already have one)
Tial 38mm 1bar (14.5 psi) from europartsetc
951 max chips
3" exhaust system with borla XR-1 muffler (no cat)
MBC - accuboost
Stock fuel injectors but get them clean (looking for a company to do this)
and last but no least a Wideband ( dont know which one yet)

what do you think about this combination?? I just want some more HP but stay in the reliable and street stage. My car would be a daily driver.

Thanks for any comment on this matter

Happy New Year 2008, from Puerto Rico
Old 01-01-2008, 01:07 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds pretty reliable. I wouldn't bother with spending money on a wideband though, as you are not tuning the car with any type of piggyback or aftermarket computer. Put it all together, go do a few dyno runs with AFR's to make sure they are good, and call it good. Save the money you were going to spend on the wideband and MBC, and get an EVC electronic boost controller instead.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:17 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

go with a 27/8 instead of a 26. thats probably my favorite setup that I've had on my car.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:05 PM
bscpanther
Racer

I would most respectfully disagree with the Doc. I would save the money from the dyno runs and invest in a wideband ASAP so that you can perminatly monitor your A/F. Too many things to go wrong even on a stock car that you can prevent by monitoring your A/F. Besides once you go aftermarket chips you will be altering your A/F ratio.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:11 PM
cb951
Rennlist Member

I just finished similar mods (check my signature), but I still have the k26/6. My "after" dyno (dynapak) showed 247 rwhp and 278 rwtq, an increase of 65 rwhp and 78 rwtq versus the "before" dyno. AFRs seem a little rich, so I'll get in touch with Russell to fine tune the 951MAX chip. That will likely add a few extra hp.

Other than numbers, the car runs well throught the rpm range, around town, and on the highway. No stumbling or hesitation. I do, however, have a burbling from the tailpipe on decceleration, and a popping on upshifts. Chip tuning will probably eliminate or reduce this.

I'm using a 0.8 bar spring in the WG, so boost comes on in a more pronounced fashion than with the stock set-up. When it does, the car really moves noticeably faster than before. (I thought the car was pretty quick before.) Night and day difference. I was concerned, before I bought all of the mods, that I might not see/feel too much of a difference in performance. Now, I'm happy I did. The car is more fun to drive than ever, and I can't wait to DE again (though I have to, since the extra power really does show the immediate need for more suspension).

As far as a wideband, I think it's important to monitor afr any time you increase boost. The factory did a great job of mapping fuel for the stock boost level, but once you start adding mods from different manufacturers, fuel mapping is less precise unless you piggyback (or stand-alone), or really fine tune your chip after many dyno runs and chip retuning (and then a piggyback is less expensive). Right now, I'm considering adding a more robust data logging capability. I can add an Innovate auxBox for $250 (if my afrs get a little more precise in a single retune), or I might wait until I can afford a Vitesse MAF kit with piggyback (which data logs).

Good luck with your mods!
Old 01-01-2008, 04:26 PM
JE_951
Pro

I dont see why spending $189 on a innovate WB would be a waste of money. added re-assurance when driving. And I ran into fueling problems with my 26/6 maxed. However that was before the mafterburner. You can also get 55# injectors for $250 shipped so depending on how much it is to get the injectors cleaned and matched, you might just want to do the bigger injectors if you get the itch for a bigger turbo down the road.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:01 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Sounds pretty reliable. I wouldn't bother with spending money on a wideband though, as you are not tuning the car with any type of piggyback or aftermarket computer. Put it all together, go do a few dyno runs with AFR's to make sure they are good, and call it good. Save the money you were going to spend on the wideband and MBC, and get an EVC electronic boost controller instead.
Doc, working with those 996TT monsters have make you forgat about us poor bastards with the granade engine, a wideband is a MUST.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:17 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

For a daily driver which I am going to assume will be running very modest boost, I don't think a wideband is necessary with a premapped set of chips (this is why you go with a reputable vendor) for these level of modifications. Sure, if you plan on running 18psi on the track without do anything else to the engine (like replacing the 20 year old headgasket), then a wideband is important, but his list of mods is not really upgrading anything over stock other than the exhaust and chips. The turbo is a stock S turbo. The wastegate is performing as a new wastegate should to hold the boost, so you can call that an upgrade, but not really. So basically he is putting in chips and an exhaust (i am guessing a 3 bar FPR will be included as well). I didnt say the wideband is a waste of money, but I think an EBC is more beneficial than a MBC + wideband, as it will control his boost much more accurately no matter what the temperature is out. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:23 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a similar setup and its great- currently have a 26/6, 3" LR exhaust, mbc, Tial 38 w/ europartsetc adapters, 55lb injectors, 3bar fpr, Max951 chips and its runs awsome. I have a 27/8 waiting to be installed very shortly as well.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eatiles
Stock fuel injectors but get them clean (looking for a company to do this)...
Both of these guys have good reputations for injector cleaning.
http://www.witchhunter.com/
http://www.rceng.com/Fuel-Injector-C...6Vfx2KXYnjY4oB

And if you want to upgrade to 55# injectors which is not a bad idea check out Racetronix
http://www.racetronix.com/
Old 01-01-2008, 07:20 PM
eatiles
Instructor

yes Doc, I have no itentions of going over 14.5 psi of boost. The car woud be only for street driving for the moment. Also I forgot to mention the 3 bar FPR. I was thinking about an emc, but was not so sure. What EMC do you recomend?? price wise?? also I will be putting the wb anyway in case in the future I decide another set up, just want to be safe. It is better a little money now than regrets and a lot of money later. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: What do you think??