Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How many optima batteries have you had die outright on you?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:16 PM
nize
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just curious. does anybody have an actual photo of any mobile1 other than the 0w40 that clearly states 'porsche approval list' on it ? i have yet to see that on anything other than 0w40;

Old 12-30-2007, 12:25 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nize, Mobil 1 is marketing that on their labels because all Porsches since 1999 (and 1997 in the boxster) are using 0w-40 oil from the factory. Porsche lists mobil 1 0w-40, 15w-50, 5w-30, 5w-40, and 10w-40 as approved oils (specifically 0w-40 and 15w-50 as oils designed to reduce carbon build up). Again, look through your TSB's and you will find them.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:56 PM
nize
Banned

do you have this TSB ? the one i have only lists the following as porsche-approved for mobile1;

0w40
5w40
5w50

http://www.wrightune.co.uk/downloads/approved_oils.pdf
Old 12-30-2007, 02:34 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nize
do you have this TSB ? the one i have only lists the following as porsche-approved for mobile1;

0w40
5w40
5w50

http://www.wrightune.co.uk/downloads/approved_oils.pdf
Lol, I thought you said 0-40 was the only approved oil?

Well you are finding stuff for the new cars (the filings have been updated from the old TSB's....for the 1997+ cars)......keep looking

Here's a hint.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:09 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Lol, I thought you said 0-40 was the only approved oil?
0w40 was (and still is) the only mobile1 oil i could find on the shelf with the 'porsche' approval stamp on the container.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:41 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Before we hijack the posters thread anymore let's agree to disagree. I'll leave you with this. I use what has worked for countless 951 owners and do not base my purchase on finding the only product with Porsche approval. The one size-fits-all oil does not apply to engines as old as ours or running in hot climates. What Porsche chooses to test is up to them and they do favor Euro companies in their selection process. To think that Redline, Royal Purple, Amsoil, and Valvoline weren't even looked at leaves me thinking the credibility of the list is not impartial at all.

Enough said, how about those Optimas, do you think they will make the playoffs?
Old 12-30-2007, 04:21 PM
nize
Banned

only if it's yellow top optimas.

red tops sux.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:00 PM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

I heard the blue tops work well in cars too even though they are marine batteries
Old 12-30-2007, 08:13 PM
nize
Banned

yeah, it's just the red tops that are no good.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:18 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So then I might be looking at a yellowtop. Have to wait and see. I really like Braille batterys, i'm sure I could make a mount as well.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Tms951
Pro

Originally Posted by nize
all optima batteries are not created equal. red tops (the el cheapo thrifty optima) are not much better than a standard battery.

yellow tops is where it's at, and is what made optima famous.

it's like the 'mobile1' oil marketing hype. only the 0w40 mobile1 is porsche-approved, and yet people often say they're using 'mobile1' when they really mean the sub-par 20w50 or whatever.

don't be fooled and buy the red top craps thinking you're getting an 'optima'. if you're going to buy an optima, get the yellow top optimas.
Nize , I don't know where you are getting your info (on both the battery and the oil) but like alot of your other posts it is just poluting this forum with misinformation.

As far as the red tops go I had one in my 91 and after a very short period of time had problems with it, I took it out and put in a standard battery and had no problems. I had a red top in my DD audi and for years had no problems, this was with a high amp sound system (1000 watt rms) and cold north east winters. Why it worked in one and not the other I don't know, but I will keep useing them, especialy since the Audi had a way higher draw than the 951.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:05 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by Tms951
Nize , I don't know where you are getting your info (on both the battery and the oil) but like alot of your other posts it is just poluting this forum with misinformation.
i'm not the only one. ask dfastest about his extensive experience in hot weather climates with his red top. he also agrees yellow tops are the only optimas to buy.

also, try searching for other people's experiences with red top optimas vs. yellow tops. basically, once a red top gets discharged (for whatever reason), it is done.

http://www.1st-optima-batteries.com/

Selecting The Right Optima® Battery

Optima® offers two basic battery types: Optima starter type batteries (red tops), and Optima dual-purpose deep cycle/starter batteries (yellow/blue tops). The Optima starter type batteries (red tops) are superior replacement units for your car, truck, boat, or other vehicle. Optima deep cycle/starter batteries (yellow/blue tops) serve dual purposes: They are superior starter batteries, but they also are designed to withstand repeated deep discharging (down to a charge level of 10.5 volts) without having their life span shortened. This ability makes them especially useful when electrical loads exceed recharge rate (including times when the battery cannot be recharged at all, such as for marine trolling motors, or for running car audio equipment with your engine turned off.) Optima deep cycle batteries (yellow/blue tops) are very popular for marine trolling motors, winches, special lighting, portable power, and emergency backup systems of all types. If you need high performance power for car audio, the best battery for you is one or more of the largest Optima deep cycle/starter batteries (yellow/blue tops) you can fit in.

Quick Reply: How many optima batteries have you had die outright on you?