Cylinder Head Damage Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts
Default Cylinder Head Damage Question

These are images of physical damage to my 951 cylinder head. We estimate that the largest gouge is about 5 or 6 thousands in depth. The piston (#1) had material missing (before new short block rebuild) and I am not sure if excessive heat caused this or if somehow something foreign got into that cylinder. This, among other things, has motivated me to run stock *everything* once the new engine is installed until I am sure everything is working well.

What should I do about this? Would a shop be able to just knock the high points of the gouges down so they don't extend past the head face? I have limited options in Florida, and I spent a pretty good amount of money on this head previously having a valve job, replacement valves, springs, etc...

I am going to call around and get shop recommendations. I found one shop in jacksonville.

TIA
Attached Images   
Old 12-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks like foreign object damage.
Just smooth it out a little and you will be in good shape.
It does look like the head could use a skim cot to resurface it – that will mean new O rings (not a big deal – most folks use common size mig welding wire for the Oring material.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:32 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

Received 393 Likes on 296 Posts

Thanks Chris. Should have looked you up when I went to PRI.

I wanted to resurface it, but I am afraid the new resurface will be too deep for the existing o-ring. I just talked to a couple of shops and they don't seem very confident in resurfacing it without cutting too deeply into the o-ring receiver.

I think we might just flatten it out ourselves. I prefer to have somebody else do the whole thing, but I'm not sure I can send it out and get it back before the 29th, and I don't want to spend several hundred dollars on just cleaning it up.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:11 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gator_86_951
These are images of physical damage to my 951 cylinder head. We estimate that the largest gouge is about 5 or 6 thousands in depth. The piston (#1) had material missing (before new short block rebuild) and I am not sure if excessive heat caused this or if somehow something foreign got into that cylinder. This, among other things, has motivated me to run stock *everything* once the new engine is installed until I am sure everything is working well.

What should I do about this? Would a shop be able to just knock the high points of the gouges down so they don't extend past the head face? I have limited options in Florida, and I spent a pretty good amount of money on this head previously having a valve job, replacement valves, springs, etc...

I am going to call around and get shop recommendations. I found one shop in jacksonville.

TIA

What shop did you find in Jacksonville?

Quick Reply: Cylinder Head Damage Question