Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Low mile turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 01:48 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrisconstantin
Probably another car that they are asking 30k+ for. I am going to call Brack on Monday and see what is up with it. I like the car and the color combo. Not sure if it would be good to buy and turn into a modded car though. What does everyone think of it? Anything else weird about it?
Here are a few things that I can see-
1) There seem to be some major flaws in the wheels and they have weights stuck on the outside.
2) Someone ran it up onto a curb.
3) There seem to be a lot of rock chips.
4) The interior looks very nice, although a little shiny. The shift **** and everything else shows low miles from the pictures.
5) The engine bay is also pretty shiny, like it was sprayed with silicone. The coolant tank is the new style so it is not original. The yellow sticker on the distributor housing is gone, the Cad plating seems pretty dull for 9k miles.

I think it's a nice car that was kept clean and or cleaned up very well, but a car in that condition could have 20-40K miles. That interior does look pretty perfect though. Considering that the speedometer can't be original...I don't think it's a $30k car.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:04 AM
CARNEXUS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevincnc
1) There seem to be some major flaws in the wheels and they have weights stuck on the outside.
4) The interior looks very nice, although a little shiny. The shift **** and everything else shows low miles from the pictures.
5) The engine bay is also pretty shiny, like it was sprayed with silicone. The coolant tank is the new style so it is not original. The yellow sticker on the distributor housing is gone, the Cad plating seems pretty dull for 9k miles.

I think it's a nice car that was kept clean and or cleaned up very well, but a car in that condition could have 20-40K miles. That interior does look pretty perfect though. Considering that the speedometer can't be original...I don't think it's a $30k car.
Man! Now I know what I’m up agonist when I list my S2 for sale. You guys are a dealer’s worst nightmare, but you sure are a Porsche owner’s best friends. Looking forward to see what kind of decision I made when I got that S2 and having the car dissected. I also hope there are other buyers than RennListers out there.

Last edited by CARNEXUS; 12-02-2007 at 04:20 AM.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:16 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since the speedo isn't the original, who knows what the actual mileage is.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:15 AM
ittia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kevincnc
Snorkel is new
No battery cover
Filter box has a new screw on the left, rusted old one on the right
Clock not working (mine is always on)
Old 12-02-2007, 10:29 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The car does seem like a very nice car. Not perfect, but still quite nice.

As for the rock chips. They are not that bad. My daily driver BMW had 36k went I bought it and no rock chips. Then one day driving to work it got blasted. So rock chips everywhere. It did not take alot of miles. Probably just 2-3 miles at the wrong place at the wrong time. Oh well. Point is rock chips can happen quick.

As for the rest of the stuff. Yeah it would need a close look over. Worth 30k... no. Too many little things with it. I am thinking more like 15k-18k depending in the story with odo and how it drives etc. One thing to consider is as these cars age some parts of it get harder and harder to fix cost effectivly.

If it still has very nice original paint that is 5k right there to fix. Old interior are also very expensive to restores. New suspension is relativly cheap to deal with.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:26 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Yes I forgot to mention the left airbox screw, it doesn't even look like the right kind. Is that red A/C fitting cap original? Mine's black. I'm not sure about the snorkle being new though, mine is a little different color and texture than the airbox also, and you can't buy them new individually. Joe has a good point about the rock chips vs. mileage, but claiming 9k miles they are undoubtably asking too much for the car especially if they believe the mileage is accurate. The little things are easily taken care of but the biggest issue for me would be the wheels. One of them doesn't look like it could be fixed easily by polishing, and then they're not original anymore if you do that. For a car in the $15,000-$18,00 range (probably accurate) I would expect nearly prefect original wheels that don't need refinishing. Another problem with very low miles is you can expect oil leaks to spring up as soon as it starts being driven hard. If it's going to be modified, the little things are really not a consideration if it can be had for a good price.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:57 PM
mikjel
Advanced

245/50-16 rear tires. Should have been 245/45-16.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:38 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is fairly easy to see that the miles are not right, but they should still be low. Perfect example of a seller f*cking up the history of a perfectly good car.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:12 PM
aribop
Race Car

There is a looooooooooonnnnnnnggggggg thread about this car on Pelican. The owner, or whoever was selling it, never did respond to the many questions on why it had an '86 speedo. Definitely not worth $30k!
Old 12-02-2007, 09:31 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

The interior isn't correct. 88TS and 89's had leather seats, except for the Silver Rose, which had the funky seats.
I think the Porsche Script seats were on 86's maybe 87's also.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:38 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

The window sticker shows it having the Turbo S option. It would be nice if we could see the vin to be sure. I have seen some bizarre parts combos come from car manufactures.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:06 AM
aribop
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
The window sticker shows it having the Turbo S option. It would be nice if we could see the vin to be sure. I have seen some bizarre parts combos come from car manufactures.
The seller also refused to post the VIN in Pelican....very fishy.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:14 AM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tconn
The interior isn't correct. 88TS and 89's had leather seats, except for the Silver Rose, which had the funky seats.
I think the Porsche Script seats were on 86's maybe 87's also.
Exactly right plus the Turbo S had heated seats (at least mine did) So somone changed em out.

IPSC
Old 12-03-2007, 10:44 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by IPSC
Exactly right plus the Turbo S had heated seats (at least mine did) So somone changed em out.

IPSC
My Turbo S does not have heated seats. It does have sport seats in partial leather. Honestly I don't know how easy it is to determine a Turbo S from inside the car.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:46 AM
M758
Race Director

You know... that may not be an S at all.

Does any one see the chassis stiffener under the power steering fluid tank?

I can't seem to spot it.

Quick Reply: Low mile turbo S