Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

KLR hose has oil! is that OK?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007 | 07:13 PM
waynelambright
Instructor

Default KLR hose has oil! is that OK?

Recently I opened the KLR unit and the clear hose that is part of the boost "guessing" had about 2" of oil in it. My boost comes on but i have some flat spots sometime and thought that maybe its not getting the proper enrichment, I have also heard about the TPS switch can create this HOLE in the powerband feeling.

Any thoughts about the oil in the pipe coming into the KLR brain?. Should I leave it alone?
Old 11-27-2007 | 07:43 PM
Darwantae951

Crank Case vapor is recirculated into the intake via the j-boot (a line coming from the AOS under the intake manifold) I don't see how the oil actually accumulated in the KLR line, but that is the only way I know of oil getting into the intake manifold unless you have a bad turbo.

-Darwin
Old 11-28-2007 | 12:10 AM
waynelambright
Instructor

do you think the oil would affect performance?
Old 11-28-2007 | 12:15 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

I have seen this plenty of times. Try to clean it but you can buy a new KLR line for like $25 or so from the dealer.
Old 11-28-2007 | 01:02 AM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by waynelambright
do you think the oil would affect performance?
Seeing as how it was that way from the factory, I doubt it, and the amount of actual oil ingested is not that great. But I don't see how oil could get into the KLR line any other way. Pull your intercooler pipes and see how oily they are maybe?

-Darwin
Old 11-28-2007 | 12:35 PM
waynelambright
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback.

What about it affecting performance?
Old 11-28-2007 | 01:01 PM
Darwantae951

Hmm...we need a bigger brain, I don't exactly know how to continue!

-Darwin
Old 11-28-2007 | 01:37 PM
turboted
Racer

I think that much oil in the KLR line is a sympton of another (larger) problem. That oil is coming from the intake manifold...so you have too much oil entering the intake from somewhere. Could be blow-by from a failing turbo (I've seen failing turbos like this that still made plenty of boost) or excess oil from the recirculation line already mentioned. Either way, it's too much oil in the intake if your KLR line is saturated with 2" of it. Hopefully I'm wrong...as Chris Prack says he has seen this plenty of times. How many miles on your car...maybe over a long period of time this is normal??? Excessive oil in the intake will affect performance.
Old 11-28-2007 | 03:00 PM
waynelambright
Instructor

Hi Turboted,

Thanks for the feedback.

My car has 166K miles.

I use 1 quart of oil about ever threee tanks of gas. I"m not sure if this is normal or not.
Old 11-28-2007 | 05:26 PM
turboted
Racer

Originally Posted by waynelambright
Hi Turboted,

Thanks for the feedback.

My car has 166K miles.

I use 1 quart of oil about ever threee tanks of gas. I"m not sure if this is normal or not.
Wayne - I hope others will chime in here, but I think 1 quart of oil every 3 gas tanks is a little more oil consumption than normal. I only add about 1/2 of a quart between oil changes (every 2500k) and my car has 85k on it. However, with 166k miles........maybe this is acceptable. I think Porsche set a standard for oil consumption for our cars...but I don't know what it is.

High oil consumption and oil in the KLR line are possible symptoms of a failing turbo (as the bearings in the turbo wear over time, oil starts to blow through it and ends up traveling through the intercooler and into the intake). All turbos allow a little oil to blow-by...so this is normal. Just not to the degree that a KLR line should accumulate 2" worth of oil (unless this occurred over a very long period of time).

I don't want to steer you down the wrong path here...you might not have any problems at all and I don't want to contribute to any arm-chair quarterback diagnosis of your problem. I don't know your car...so I can only speculate. My suggestion - clean up the KLR line and keep an eye on it over the next several weeks to determine how quickly it fills back up with oil. If the oil doesn't accumulate too quickly in the KLR line and the car continues to run ok...just keep driving and enjoying it. To further troubleshoot your problem, you could remove your turbo to check for shaft play...but then you are opening up a whole new can of worms that you may or may not regret later.
Old 11-28-2007 | 05:53 PM
DAR951
Pro

Originally Posted by turboted
...High oil consumption and oil in the KLR line are possible symptoms of a failing turbo.. .
while that's certainly possible, with your mileage it's probably more likely that what you are seeing is oil being forced through the air/oil separator and into the J-boot (intake) due to worn rings allowing the crankcase to pressurize.

Pressurizing the crank is a fairly common problem with high-mileage engines.

An easy first check is to do a compression test.
Old 11-29-2007 | 10:14 AM
turboted
Racer

Originally Posted by DAR951
with your mileage it's probably more likely that what you are seeing is oil being forced through the air/oil separator and into the J-boot (intake) due to worn rings allowing the crankcase to pressurize.
+1 for another likely possibility. Keep an eye out for a leaky oil pan gasket if this is the case.
Old 11-30-2007 | 02:53 PM
waynelambright
Instructor

Thanks for the great tips, I'll let you know the outcome.

Quick Reply: KLR hose has oil! is that OK?