Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Improving high speed handling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:26 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i forgot about the steering shaft but thats what i was implying when i mention the steering rack. Not to bad replacing it. I did it with the help of my dad and i didnt have to remove anything as allot of people claim here. It took like an 1-1/2hr from start to finish, because i had to turn into a little circus show freak and combine different tools to get around that dam downpipe. But when you do it tell me i give u a list of the tools and tell u how i did.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by reno808
yeah i forgot about the steering shaft but thats what i was implying when i mention the steering rack. Not to bad replacing it. I did it with the help of my dad and i didnt have to remove anything as allot of people claim here. It took like an 1-1/2hr from start to finish, because i had to turn into a little circus show freak and combine different tools to get around that dam downpipe. But when you do it tell me i give u a list of the tools and tell u how i did.
I need to see how much money i'm going to have. If I have enough, I'm just going to replace completely, but I would really like to go manual ):

Im going to have my downpipe off anyway, so it should be a bit easier right?

*this is assuming that the rack is in fact the problem.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:53 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorax
I need to see how much money i'm going to have. If I have enough, I'm just going to replace completely, but I would really like to go manual ):

Im going to have my downpipe off anyway, so it should be a bit easier right?

*this is assuming that the rack is in fact the problem.
yeah thats what i went with a manual. with the down pipe off its a JOKE. It will take you longer to jack up car and put a jack stands under it then to remove and install the shaft.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

What did you pay for the whole manual conversion? You can pm me if you prefer..
Old 11-26-2007, 03:58 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

pm sent
Old 11-27-2007, 08:18 AM
JEC_31
Three Wheelin'

The car feels a bit floaty over about 140. It doesn't feel like its hugging the road... kinda like it's about to take off. Trying to manuver the car above 130-140 is downright scary sometimes! Im trying to figure out how to fix the problem.

????

Get a 928. Problem solved.

Seriously, tho, fix the steering and follow all suspension advice (except that guy who cut his springs).
Old 11-28-2007, 09:32 PM
GreyDog
Rennlist Member

Lorax, I recently had this issue w/my '86. The two biggest items for the steering wobble were the rack and the intermediate steering shaft, and MAKE SURE the bolts in the steerign shaft are the correct spec and not worn (mine were not correct part and worn out too). This is where most of the play lies in teh steering.

To cure the high speed issue, you need to have the front rims cleaned and straightened completely, unless newer and you are sure they are straight. Then remount tires and road force balance to as high a speed as the shop will run for you.

The work on the rims and RF balance of the tires worked out the remaining high speed issues for me.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:01 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JEC_31
Get a 928. Problem solved.

Seriously, tho, fix the steering and follow all suspension advice (except that guy who cut his springs).

Old 11-28-2007, 10:59 PM
Candleman
Racer

I'm sorry but I have to second that. I take my 89 S4 out on the local suburb roads and I'm at 150 before I know it, and I wouldn't know it without the speedo because the car is so damn quiet and stable at high speeds I never feel like I am far from any speed limit. And if I am that far over I can get back to legal so damn fast I doubt police radar could get an accurate reading on me decelerating from 150 to 65... And Ryan, if you think I am exagerating please take it into account first that I've seen you talk an elephants weight in BS in the last few weeks since I've been a member here. And don't feel like you are all that spescial because you have a Porsche at your age. When I was 15 in 1991 I had a rich daddy too, but instead of getting a 944 I got a 928. The key difference is attitude. And I must say you are a bigger brat at 18 than I ever was at 15. Furthermore your whole jackass Jonny Knoxville attitude towards others in the Porsche community here with different tastes than you only wins you points with other small-minded people. Aww upset??? Go cry in your emo haircut and listen to some MCR for emotional validation... Ya *****
Old 11-28-2007, 11:06 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It's extremely clear that you don't know Ryan. It's also clear that you haven't read the rules around here.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:07 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Candleman
I'm sorry but I have to second that. I take my 89 S4 out on the local suburb roads and I'm at 150 before I know it, and I wouldn't know it without the speedo because the car is so damn quiet and stable at high speeds I never feel like I am far from any speed limit. And if I am that far over I can get back to legal so damn fast I doubt police radar could get an accurate reading on me decelerating from 150 to 65... And Ryan, if you think I am exagerating please take it into account first that I've seen you talk an elephants weight in BS in the last few weeks since I've been a member here. And don't feel like you are all that spescial because you have a Porsche at your age. When I was 15 in 1991 I had a rich daddy too, but instead of getting a 944 I got a 928. The key difference is attitude. And I must say you are a bigger brat at 18 than I ever was at 15. Furthermore your whole jackass Jonny Knoxville attitude towards others in the Porsche community here with different tastes than you only wins you points with other small-minded people. Aww upset??? Go cry in your emo haircut and listen to some MCR for emotional validation... Ya *****
bro 1st off get over it that thread is now over. 2nd you only have 33 post so you r new 3rd your not a rennlist member like you sound to be. 4th i can take my car to 150 just as fast as you or faster and bring it down allot faster than you; your car weights a ton compared to mine. so there is no need to bash and show of your 928 and rub it in his face. you have nothing special so take it easy dude
Old 11-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Candleman

Please... GTFO of my thread. Got some technical information to post regarding my cars handling? do it. This is not going to turn into another closed thread because a grown man feels the need to act like an idiot. Rich daddy? You should be careful about making those kinds of assumptions.

If you have something else to say take it to PM because I plan on posting in this thread again, to detail the results of the changes I'm making.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:17 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Please... GTFO of my thread. Got some technical information to post regarding my cars handling? do it. This is not going to turn into another closed thread because a grown man feels the need to act like an idiot. Rich daddy? You should be careful about making those kinds of assumptions.

If you have something else to say take it to PM because I plan on posting in this thread again, to detail the results of the changes I'm making.
dont pay any attention to CANDLEMAN he is just a flammer
Old 11-28-2007, 11:18 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With all the banning going on around here lately, the moderator's ban stick is going to need new batteries.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:19 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reno808
dont pay any attention to CANDLEMAN he is just a flammer
Yeah lol, and for the record here is a pic of me and my EMO haircut, in all my EMO glory!

Im going to go curl up in the hatch of my lowly 944 and cry myself to sleep.

Quick Reply: Improving high speed handling?