Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Improving high speed handling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 03:40 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldnt put in anything like a roll cage unless you plan on wearing a helmet and proper harness system.

Loosing it at 160mph in any car and i think your odds of survival are pretty slim...id rather not test my luck.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:56 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah lol I was just wondering. I'm not planning a cage, the only thing I may do in the future is a bolt in rollbar so I can properly mount harnesses.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:06 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Above or at 160 you'll be dead unless you have a full cage, HANS system, 5-6pt harness mounted properly, and a seat that will stop excessive movement of your head side to side.

Even then its iffy...

On the downforce side of things, the AIR splitter mainly prevents air from getting under the car than supplying downforce. After all its bolted to a urethane flexible bumper.

By limiting the air under the car, and forcing it elsewhere, while having a slight rake the air that is under the car is sucked out the rear by the low pressure area behind the car. Side skirts or rocker panels are great from preventing cross wind air from upsetting stability by entering under the door.

Switch to 935 mirrors from GT Racing which will help aero and top speed and ditch the flags. Tape hood, header, hatch, A pillar and fender seams with blue tape before a run, take off the windshield wipers.

Cut small holes in the rear of the front fenders (fill with screen) from the door strip down to let air out of the fender and relieve that high pressure area.

Add small pieces of ABS plastic in front of the tires that drop straight down about 2cm to decrease tire drag.

If you run a TRS wing, take the diffuser off as it will create too much downforce in the rear and encourage the nose to lift and porpoise.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:03 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your prob going to have to go over your whole suspension piece by piece and check for worn out parts and replace them with better parts pref. I had a similar prob but it started at 90ish. replaced everything and solved it hehe
Old 11-24-2007, 03:07 PM
LFA951
Drifting

At that speed your steering wheel should be kept straight!! I cut down each of my springs up front by one link, so it has a little bit more downforce on the front and since it's a little lower it feels like it hugs the road better, the only downfall is that those bumps feel more bumpier!
Old 11-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorax
Part of the problem is that there is about 3/8" of play in the steering, and a slight speed wobble over 120.
You already found the problem, I wouldn't drive it until this is fixed. A stock 944 is vey stable at speed. You should be able to check gauges and relax in striaght away speeds higher then what you are running...the car is that stable.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:00 PM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

I agree with Brian. These cars are very stable at speed,stock.
They were designed to run on the autobaun at speed not 75
on our highways.
My car at 160 hugs the road and changing lanes is not scarry.( of course I'm talking closed loop road)
Old 11-25-2007, 12:33 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LFA951
At that speed your steering wheel should be kept straight!! I cut down each of my springs up front by one link, so it has a little bit more downforce on the front and since it's a little lower it feels like it hugs the road better, the only downfall is that those bumps feel more bumpier!
DUDE U what to your springs? Srry to break it to you but thats the worst thing you can do to a spring. for starters you know what heat does to steel it distorts it for one. There are a whole bunch of others things but i am not going to get into it. After you apply that direct heat to that poor spring it becomes useless as t*ts on a bull. That trick was use to be done back in the era of muscle cars when they wanted to lower the front for the 1/4 mi and looks. Sorry to rant on you but maybe you can do a little research or someone else can add to hear as well. And maybe we can sway you to buy shorter springs. If i had shorter springs i would give them to you. You dont know how dangerous they can be. TRUST ME.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

What does the stock rubber wing do, decrease drag or lift? If the 968 TRS wing offers to much downforce, perhaps the S2 / 968 style hoop spoiler would be a better match. According to the 944S2 factory documentaion, the wing channels air in such a way that it creates a high speed flow across the top rear of the car. This creates a excavating force that puts downforce on the car at speeds higher than 45-48mph.

I guess the only way to tell is for someone to put there car into a wind tunnel with the 3-styles of factory rear spoiler......shot not.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

I want to figure out the play in my steering, then figure out the softness in my brakes, before I start droppoing 700$ on the TRS wing and trim pieces.

Wonder what is causing the steering play. Bleh it could be 100 different things!
Old 11-25-2007, 02:16 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

steering play is your rack either rebuild it or put a manual rack. If it makes noises the its prob the tie rods but ill but my money on the rack. I dunno but on some cars you can adj the play. Maybe on these racks you can. I know on the manual rack you can adj the play as well.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Ill check it out when Im doing all that other work. Hopefully its just the rack. If it is, screw rebuilding it ill just pick up an autozone rack and save myself the trouble maybe.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Well there really arent to many components in the steering. Play can be attributed to worn u-joints on the steering shaft or bad inner / outer tie rod ends.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:25 AM
ittia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tconn
I agree with Brian. These cars are very stable at speed,stock.
They were designed to run on the autobaun at speed not 75
on our highways.
My car at 160 hugs the road and changing lanes is not scarry.( of course I'm talking closed loop road)
+2 and I'm NOT talking closed loop road

I have driven newer BMW's & Mercedes that gave me a scare at high speeds and I can honestly say I feel VERY safe at high speeds in this car. My biggest concern is the little Fiat that switches to the left lane quickly when they don't look in the mirror before doing so. My suspension is stock, for now, and I plan on adding a splitter soon so I hope to feel an even better hugging of the road. The capabilities of the 951 are a testament to great design and as tconn said, it's what they were made for.

Have a great week everyone.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:29 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you certain that the suspension itself if in good nick and aligned? wheels & tires are straight and true + balanced?

A bad steering shaft will cause play, and get more sensitive at speeds.....

Quick Reply: Improving high speed handling?