Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fuel pump not coming on, not the relay, fuse, pump, or computers...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when you are testing for power at the fuel pump connector, are you cranking the car?
Old 12-04-2007, 08:07 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Yeah, there is no power during cranking or just sitting with the key on.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:17 AM
phlip
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have 12 v at terminal 30 of DME relay? If yes, and jumping 30 to 87b
does not give you 12v at fuel pump harness the you have an open. Next thing I'd do is use a ohm meter and some long jumper wires to test continuity from relay socket to fuel pump harness connector. I dont think there is anything between terminal 87b and pump harness, but it has been a long time since I looked at a diagram of that . Hope this helps.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:01 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phlip
Do you have 12 v at terminal 30 of DME relay? If yes, and jumping 30 to 87b
does not give you 12v at fuel pump harness the you have an open. Next thing I'd do is use a ohm meter and some long jumper wires to test continuity from relay socket to fuel pump harness connector. I dont think there is anything between terminal 87b and pump harness, but it has been a long time since I looked at a diagram of that . Hope this helps.
I will double check for 12v at terminal 30, but I am pretty sure its there because when I put the jumper in place it causes the waterpump for the turbo to kick on.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:09 PM
phlip
Racer

I think you may be checking at the wrong relay socket. The wiring diagram I have shows a seperate relay for turbo coolant pump.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:21 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phlip
I think you may be checking at the wrong relay socket. The wiring diagram I have shows a seperate relay for turbo coolant pump.
No its definately the DME relay as I am very familiar with it from my other 944's and diagnosing problems.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:56 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Update- Well I was finally able to get the time to work on the car. When I first got the car I opened the DME up and it looked like an explosion had happened on the circuit board and it was burned black. However after switching the computers the car still would not start and the fuel pump was not coming on, so I switched it with what was a good spare pump last time I had used it however that didn't change anything so I figured something else must have been wrong and wasted many hours testing other components. So last weekend I got someone to crank the car while I had a volt meter hooked up at the fuel pump and sure enough there was power back there but no pumping. I bench tested both the fuel pumps and neither of them would pump all they would do is give a slight jolt and stop, so my spare must have gone bad from sitting on the shelf. Today I installed a brand new fuel pump and filter and the car fired up for the first time in over 2 years.

The PO said the car just shut off on him and wouldn't start up anymore so it sat for about two years before I bought it this fall. My theory is that the DME must have gone bad, and then the fuel pump must have frozen up from sitting so long. So now the real ordering can begin with new front seals, vacuum lines, water pump, timing belts etc. Then it will go in for paint.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:36 AM
bscpanther
Racer

Originally Posted by potent951turbo86
I used the instructions on clarks garage which said to put the jumper in 30,87, and 87b.
I'm trouble shooting my fuel system now so I'm a little confused. I thought clarks directions were to jumper terminals 30 and 87b?? am I missing something?
Old 01-12-2008, 01:42 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bscpanther
I'm trouble shooting my fuel system now so I'm a little confused. I thought clarks directions were to jumper terminals 30 and 87b?? am I missing something?
Clarks garage has two ways listed. I forget why he suggests using his preferred way over the other but he explains it on his site.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump not coming on, not the relay, fuse, pump, or computers...