Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Velocity stack in the up pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 02:57 PM
flashgordon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure a velocity stack type device would help the turbo spool any faster. I have ported a few turbos and found that the turbo always boosted faster after opening up the inlet on the hot side. Any restriction that reduces the volume of the inlet port would have a negative effect on spool times judging on my past experiences.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:08 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

HMMMM that completely counteracts my theory.

Thanks
Old 11-14-2007, 08:57 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by blown 944
HMMMM that completely counteracts my theory.

Thanks
Sorry about the midnight walk. yikes. Are you sure it's not an CV joint? They can look great until you move em and they are all slop.

Getting Boost revving while you're sitting there eh? You can ONLY be bouncing off the rev limiter to do that. you're a little crazier than I thought!

And With Turbos, as I have consistently seen. Bigger Than stock has almost always been better.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Tms951
Pro

No because to acomadate a velocity stack you would need a larger diameter cross over pipe which would decrease spool up time by lowering velocity and increasing volume. And as some one else said a turbine housing is esentialy a velocity stack.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:42 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Sorry about the midnight walk. yikes. Are you sure it's not an CV joint? They can look great until you move em and they are all slop.

Getting Boost revving while you're sitting there eh? You can ONLY be bouncing off the rev limiter to do that. you're a little crazier than I thought!

And With Turbos, as I have consistently seen. Bigger Than stock has almost always been better.
I went ahead and Switched it ou last night. Haven't pulled it apart yet but it is definately the trans. CV's were fine.

I really couldn't believe it myself (not that crazy). I think it gets about 5 psi at around 5500 just revving to about 3000 then stabbing it. The turbo is a to4b .60 ar housing with a custom wheel. I haven't seen boost free revving before on any of the other cars. It hits pretty hard and quick with this setup (backyard junk setup). I guess I'll have too video to show it (I know its hard to believe) It seems to be coming on at about 3200 and holds good to redline.

Half the fun is in the challenge with me

I am looking forward to seeing what it does on the dyno this saturday.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:56 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tms951
No because to acomadate a velocity stack you would need a larger diameter cross over pipe which would decrease spool up time by lowering velocity and increasing volume. And as some one else said a turbine housing is esentialy a velocity stack.

I guess I should be clear about what I'm saying, that I really wouln't be looking at a velocity stack, but extending the pipe into the turbine housing to eliminate the extra area.

After reading the porting post though it is making me rethink it. I may just do it with this pipe when I go to change it just to see.

Quick Reply: Velocity stack in the up pipe?