Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

black rtv and oil pan gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:32 AM
bscpanther
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default black rtv and oil pan gasket?

For perspective the engine is like new and on an engine stand. I have installed the oil pan gasket once before with black rtv and it leaked.. but my rings were also shot and the motor was not in good shape so I tried not to be surprised. I am familiar with the many different ways we all like to install the oil pan gasket. What I would like to know is have any of you had experience using the permatex black rtv on the oil pan?? The reason I worry is because I don't remember seeing the gasket walk as much as it has this time under torque. I coated both top and bottom of the gasket.. I am also concerned how easilly some excess rtv can be pulled off the side of the gasket once dry. I would expect it to be somewhat stuck to the gasket but it's not. everything was perfectly cleaned.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:38 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

do not use sealer on the pan gasket- you can put a large dab in each corner on either side of the crank front and rear thats it! Then make sure they are properly toqued and recheck them after a couple weeks to make sure they stay tight. If you put sealer on there itll squeeze right out.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:38 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Put some RTV only in the corners where the factory put it. Make sure everywhere else is dry and you should have no problems.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:59 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep,
Install it dry. I have had great sucess doing that on my race motor rebuilds. Do take care torque the bolts down evenly. I follow the pattern in the book and go aounr 4-5 times before they "seat" and it actually start torquing them down. Then I torque in the sequence listed as well.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:09 PM
orcadigital
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming its a rubber type gasket (as opposed to cork) you do not want to use any sealant as everyone else has stated. That is true for rubber style gaskets in general (automatic transmission pans being the most common).

Quick Reply: black rtv and oil pan gasket?