Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What would make carpet do this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:34 PM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would make carpet do this?

A relative of mine just bought a slighty used (15K miles) 06 dodge caravan off of a car lot. When she showed it to me I pointed out that a small roughly circular area in between the two front seats felt like it had somthing spilled on it because it was all clumped together and slightly worn. there is another area under the passenger seat that was the same way and even more worn.

She had the carpet shampooed and both of those spots turned immediately white. It seems as if somthing was spilled that bleached the carpet and then some kind of spray color was applied to hide it (explains the clumping). The shampoo then removed the spray, however the wear on these areas is not explained, the one under the pass seat is much worse, most of the carpet fibers are gone and just the backing peice of fabric that holds the fibers remains. This car seems fishy, because there is also surface rust on the front two seat frames. Carfax showed nothing but something doesn't seem right.

Anyone seen something like this?
Old 11-12-2007, 08:14 PM
35thSLP
Burning Brakes

could be battery acid spilled on it
Old 11-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe they tried bleaching something off and unknowingly bleached the color from the rug
Old 11-16-2007, 07:00 AM
billthe3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it was some sort of chemical that started to eat through the carpet.

A carwash somehow got some bleach into the rear of our 2000 chrysler minivan at one point but all it did was change the color of the carpet. The fibers and matting were un-affected.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:55 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Flood damage maybe? Possible mold growth on the carpeting so the fibers were cut off and/or bleached. Would also explain the rust on the seat rails.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:58 AM
bscpanther
Racer

I'm not bragging about this but when I was a wee one I tried to clean up something I spilled on my mothers carpet with straight bleach. The immediate result was perfection... but within 24 hours the carpet lost all color and within a month all of the carpet fibers that were contacted fell out...ouch..

Quick Reply: What would make carpet do this?