Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Great... another oil leak... Ticking Time bomb?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007 | 03:07 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Default Great... another oil leak... Ticking Time bomb?

Ok the small braided oil supply line going to the center section of my turbo is now leaking... It will take pulling the intake to get to. Is this leaking in a dangerous spot? The oil is dripping down onto the balance shaft cover.

IPSC
Old 11-11-2007 | 05:59 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

The line itself or from the connection at the balance shaft housing?

Worse case is that oil leaks or spills onto the turbo exhaust housing/downpipe and causes a fire, but that's worst case.
Old 11-11-2007 | 09:33 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

It is leaking right at the connection where it goes from the braided portion to the hard line. It is a little leak but a leak none the less.

I am just don't want to pull the damn intake to replace it.

IPSC
Old 11-11-2007 | 10:11 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Thats a crimp connection, any local hose shop can do it, and it should be fair priced as well.

Removing the intake is not the only thing you have to do, you also need to remove the balance shaft housing heat shield, which is attached to the front engine bracket and the AOS heat shield. Nothing but a 10mm 1/4" socket and a ratchet (or a 10mm open wrench) could do. Should take you 20-45 minutes to get everything out (including the hose).

One more thing to add, if you do this, get new washers for the banjo bolt on the BS housing, as well as a new turbo oil inlet o-ring.
Old 11-11-2007 | 10:15 PM
bscpanther
Racer

order up the intake gaskets and just take your time fixing the leak on the weekend. I'm sure you have your reasons for not wanting to do the manifold but they can't be worse than an oil leak and possible engine fire. In the mean time I would highly recommend a fire extinguisher in the vehicle. Even without the oil leak...you never know with our cars.
Old 11-11-2007 | 11:47 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bscpanther
order up the intake gaskets and just take your time fixing the leak on the weekend. I'm sure you have your reasons for not wanting to do the manifold but they can't be worse than an oil leak and possible engine fire. In the mean time I would highly recommend a fire extinguisher in the vehicle. Even without the oil leak...you never know with our cars.
Ohh I've got a nice Halon extinguisher right in front of the passenger seat.

I "figger" If I go through the trouble of pulling the intake I will be tempted to do a 3 inch down pipe and then...

I have been hosing the oil leak down with brake cleaner daily to prevent any oil build up. Yeah I gotta do this. My question is does this present an immediate danger?

IPSC
Old 11-12-2007 | 09:29 AM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IPSC
My question is does this present an immediate danger?

IPSC
See post #2
Old 11-12-2007 | 05:26 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

A lot of people get away with oil leaks near the exhaust system, and no one can tell just how dangerous it is. It could start leaking/spraying oil seriously at anytime, tomorrow, after 1 minute, after 5 years, who knows, that is why i tackle any oil leak ASAP, unless i am doing several jobs at once (example, replacing the turbo, go ahead replace the AOS seals, replacing the water pump, go ahead and replace the front engine seals, etc.....)
Old 11-12-2007 | 06:55 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

i have one of those hoses if you need one...

Quick Reply: Great... another oil leak... Ticking Time bomb?