Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

my car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 02:37 PM
maksiu951
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car wont start

my gas gauge is broken so i ran out of fuel last wednesday, i filled it up and it started, the next day it ran for about 3 seconds and died and wouldnt start for the rest of the day, the day after that it was a little warmer and it started and ran fine, the next day it was running but suddenly it started to run like **** and i thought i ran out of gas again but it wasn't the case because i went to go get gas came back and it started and ran just fine! today after sitting for a while it wont start again it turns over for maybe 1 second and dies right away

could it be a fuel filter? i think the fuel pump may have sucked all the crap off the bottom of the tank and clogged it but, why would it start one time and not the other?
Old 11-06-2007, 02:56 PM
bscpanther
Racer

I think the problem sounds too intermittent to be your fuel filter but I understand the relation to running out of gas and it surely wouldn't hurt to replace it. I would put my money on electrical. But don't let your circumstances (running out of gas) limit your trouble shooting. Start with the essentials, you need fuel and spark to start a car. If you're car still has one of those freak factory alarms... I would definatly do something about that from the horror stories I hear. Good Luck.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:15 PM
Nein-Five-won
Instructor

has the fuel filter ever been changed? Has th fuel pump ever been changed? You might have broken the teeth in the pump and it's not pumping now.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:04 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

- just by chance- pull the air box and stick your hand in the flapper door of the afm and see if its freely moving. Ive seen them stick and itll do all kinds of fun stuff.

if your fuel pump is intermitantly working- i have a used one i can send you cheap to try out.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:14 PM
spammajamma
Pro

Default Dme relay? is it the original unit?

Originally Posted by xsboost90
- just by chance- pull the air box and stick your hand in the flapper door of the afm and see if its freely moving. Ive seen them stick and itll do all kinds of fun stuff.

if your fuel pump is intermitantly working- i have a used one i can send you cheap to try out.
DME relays are the ghost in the machine, check yours or just order a new one
Old 11-06-2007, 10:16 PM
boost feen
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

I know the bad fuel pump is pretty close to the symptoms of whats going on with your car but you should also check the DME relay, Reference sensors on bell housing at back of block could have a short!

Because when your dealiing with a troublesome 951 " WHEN IT RAINS IT POURS"
Old 11-06-2007, 10:39 PM
PorscheMD
Racer

Do you know what you don't have when it won't start? fuel? fire? you need to start there and determine what you don't have then you can start checking the right components to determine what has failed. Otherwise, you are wasting your time and your money.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:46 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

yeah DME relay for sure- i always take that one for granted- check that first.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:22 AM
maksiu951
Advanced

lmao @ Because when your dealiing with a troublesome 951 " WHEN IT RAINS IT POURS"
the guy i bought it from said there was a bad relay but he took another used one and put it in so ill try that, but when the car was running there was a whining coming from the rear initially i thought it was the transmission or maybe clutch/torque tube but everything works ok so i think it may have been the fuel pump on its last legs. anyways thanks for the help
Old 11-07-2007, 12:24 AM
maksiu951
Advanced

Originally Posted by spammajamma
DME relays are the ghost in the machine, check yours or just order a new one
how do you check that? i got a multimeter but im not to good with it
Old 11-07-2007, 12:27 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just solved a no start condition. After routing my wideband kit and wiring it up the car wouldn't start. I thought this was strange because it started the night before. I was sure it was the speed and reference sensors since I hit them routing the sensor so I bought some new ones. Waiting for them to show up I cleaned the DME and ignition relays and it started right up. I need to order some spares from pelican just in case.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:52 PM
maksiu951
Advanced

i checked the relays and they are in working condition unfortunately, but now i noticed that the RPM meter bounces up to 2k RPM when im cranking sometimes what does this mean?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:38 PM
bscpanther
Racer

thats your speed and reference sensors doing their job.. it's when they don't bounce that you need to worry. If you haven't touched them I wouldn't just yet. I wish I could just tell you whats wrong with your car but I can't. You have to go through the process of elimination. I would start by pulling the plugs and checking for timed spark on every spark plug. Then I would pull the fuel rail and watch the injectors batch fire. Once you have fuel and spark you have narrowed it down to electrical and compression as a long shot... I would do a compression test while you're in there. Was the timing belt touched?? is the belt missing any teeth?? If the timing is off the car won't start. After that you need to confirm:
1)DME relay
2)TPS
3)AFM
4)DME
5)KLR
6)S&R sensors

I would dare say that 99% of the time you will find the problem by checking these things... yes it sucks and it takes time but there are some very good write ups on clarks garage and here if you search. good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:16 PM
maksiu951
Advanced

my car started today! the spark plugs were soaked with fuel and it seemed to be a lose intake hose causing the problem, it ran fine for a while but, the car returned to choking and dying i think its too much fuel could it be afm and the isv?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:48 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Too much fuel could be the fuel pressure regulator having failed. They fail in "open" mode, flooding the engine with fuel. Are you getting black smoke from the exhaust?

Quick Reply: my car wont start