Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help me find reasonable power

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 03:03 AM
bscpanther
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after following this thread I would like to emphasize the importance of being able to monitor your air/fuel ratio. I can't believe there is any 951 owner that wouldn't endorse and encourage this. Regardless if you have a wideband or not you should understand the importance and be working to somehow being capable of monitoring such vitals if longevity is any kind of concern. Even on a stock 951 I am confident in saying this investment would have a profound effect on extending the life of the engine. These cars not only are high performance vehicles but they are 20+ years old, combining the two we all know dozens of possibilites that could mess up our air/fuel and you'd never see it coming. I was guilty as charged. All I wanted to do was buy upgrades until someone smarter than I talked me into saving up for a wideband first. My car was stock and I found out I was way lean due to dirty injectors, I could only guess how long I would have lasted with some appealing mods. Not looking to argue, just trying to share some experience.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:18 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

amen to that- love my ZT2 unit- very handy- more than i thought it would be.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:27 AM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marksportcts
Have you considered selling your kids and getting a Vitesse package?
What's the going rate? They are fairly self-sufficient, and enjoy washing cars. eBay perhaps?

Originally Posted by MPD47
Are you still stock exhaust? I have a Lindsey MBC kicking around I'll toss you for dinner or something if you want it.
Dude, I took you out for some laps at Watkins Glen two weeks ago and you have to ask if my exhaust is stock? Let me know about the MBC, I'd be interested, thanks!

Originally Posted by bscpanther
after following this thread I would like to emphasize the importance of being able to monitor your air/fuel ratio.
Sounds like a great suggestion. Already added the WBO2 to the list, thanks!

Back to an earlier question...for those who have installed a tial38 WG does this http://us.europartsetc.com/inventory...y=&catalogid=1 contain everything I will need to properly install it? And what spring rate do I want in the WG? I see they are offered with different spring rates. TIA
Old 10-28-2007, 10:40 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

same kit i installed mine with- from the same supplier! I ordered my 38 w/ a 1bar spring-seems like a common rate for them.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:44 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

So if I did:

Tial 38 WG
Adj. FPR
951Max chips
MBC
WBO2 sensor

I could run 15 psi relatively safely (with a proper tune)?

In the future if I chose to up the ante again, would those mods support a larger turbo, larger injectors, with a chip reprogram (maybe even a MAF)?

Just trying to be smart about this...
Old 10-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A WBO2 is mentioned three times within the first 4 post "panther", including yours.

"A fool and his money soon part" upgrading performance without a WBO2 is risking the hard dollars you just invested. Might as well take it to Vegas.

A larger turbo, MAF package, often include or exclude injectors, which you'll need at that point. However, with the AFPR, Wastegate, MBC, WBO2 - all of that can be used with any future upgrades; 2.5 - 3.2L.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:51 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ski
A WBO2 is mentioned three times within the first 4 post "panther", including yours.

"A fool and his money soon part" upgrading performance without a WBO2 is risking the hard dollars you just invested. Might as well take it to Vegas.
So you think I should get a WBO2 then?
Originally Posted by Ski
A larger turbo, MAF package, often include or exclude injectors, which you'll need at that point. However, with the AFPR, Wastegate, MBC, WBO2 - all of that can be used with any future upgrades; 2.5 - 3.2L.
Thanks Bret, sounds like a plan.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:15 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim-
I made 250rwhp and 270rwtq with 2 1/2" exhaust, no cat, MAF, stock turbo, mbc, dual port wastegate, afpr, and bigger injectors (no added hp there) at 15psi. I had Vitesse chips tuned for the injectors and MAF. Could have squeezed some more power out of it had I realized the port on the bottom of the throttle body had blown off the cap I zip tied on causing a vacuum/boost leak.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:28 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OriginalSterm
Jim-
I made 250rwhp and 270rwtq with 2 1/2" exhaust, no cat, MAF, stock turbo, mbc, dual port wastegate, afpr, and bigger injectors (no added hp there) at 15psi. I had Vitesse chips tuned for the injectors and MAF. Could have squeezed some more power out of it had I realized the port on the bottom of the throttle body had blown off the cap I zip tied on causing a vacuum/boost leak.
That is a decent increase in hp, I am looking forward to more 'go'.

I see in your sig that your car sold, congrats!
Old 10-28-2007, 04:42 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Originally Posted by shiners780
That is a decent increase in hp, I am looking forward to more 'go'.

I see in your sig that your car sold, congrats!
Thanks, now for something slower!
Old 10-28-2007, 05:07 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OriginalSterm
Thanks, now for something slower!

and

How about - now for something you can spend more time drivin', less time fixin'?
Old 10-28-2007, 05:20 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would definately get rid of that 6 hotside as well
Old 10-28-2007, 06:27 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Jim, after having open dump I think everything other than cup cars are "stock exhaust"

I'll be back in Rochester at some a week or so from Monday, give or take, hahahaha. I know I have a spare, make me a fair offer and it's yours. Sitting in my toolbox if you wanna just go get it or you can wait till I'm there.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:42 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

When looking for a Tial, buy from anywhere. But I'd suggest picking up a set of copper/metal gaskets like SFR offers. The paper gasket that Tial supplies with the W/G is junk as far as I'm concerned. I've been through my fair share of them. With the added heat on a track car, I wouldn't waste my time with the paper gaskets.
Old 10-28-2007, 08:40 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TiAL now includes stainess crush ring gaskets with their 38's, so need to pick up any extra gaskets.

Quick Reply: Help me find reasonable power