Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ball bearing turbo upgrade

Old 10-22-2007, 01:48 PM
S2cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball bearing turbo upgrade

Could someone point me towards a website or 2 that sell ball bearing turbos that are easy bolt on. I'd like to avoid having to fabricate, grind, or "make fit" if possible. I'm looking for something that will support 350-400 RWHP.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:54 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

There are quite a few out there, here's a couple to get you started.

http://www.pauertuning.com/turbos.htm

Lindsey Racing - now offered in DBB -

What are you bolting this turbo onto?
Old 10-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lindsey Racing's advertisement is such a nice story.

Garrett has been producing the T3/T4R line for quite some time - for almost a couple of years. The T3/T4R center cartridge is what makes this BB turbo option a "bolt on" for the 951. It's amusing to read Lindsey's claim of these BB center cartridges were formerly not available to any turbo builders. For me, it's no surprise that they want to take ownership of a product or option that already exists and claim it as their own. A company you can trust and who stands behind their product - not for me thank you.

Remainder edited - John D.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:23 PM
George D
Drifting

www.speedforceracing.com has Garrett, Turbonetics, and other full BB turbos that will bolt up to your car.

George
Old 10-22-2007, 04:09 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I can get you any turbo you want! Garrett offers the new T series turbos that will bolt up to the 951 exhaust, however the water fittings and oil feed are a bit different.
The selection of compressors is limited, however we offer our custom wheels as well.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:41 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by S2cab
Could someone point me towards a website or 2 that sell ball bearing turbos that are easy bolt on. I'd like to avoid having to fabricate, grind, or "make fit" if possible. I'm looking for something that will support 350-400 RWHP.
What ever you decide you should stick with a respected vendor (Rennlist site sponsor preferred) that you can rely on being around tomorrow. Vitesse, SFR, and Lindsey are all great choices (I haven’t had a bad experience with any of them) and collectively they have turbo's running on hundreds of cars. Their volume, experience, and long standing operations are worth a few extra bucks if you ever have an issue down the road. There are other vendors out there that profess to be experts but have less then five cars with their products in operation but are quick to take a shot at others products to get business.

I'm partial to the Vitesse products that can get you your HP goals in less then 8 hour with virtually no tuning and perfect drivability. I've been running one of their "old" journal bearing turbo's for about 4 years now and it performs flawless, doesn't blow a drop of oil, and I've yet to see a BB turbo make 15psi significantly earlier. Their customer service is unmatched in my experience.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:43 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pauerman
Lindsey Racing's advertisement is such a nice story.

Garrett has been producing the T3/T4R line for quite some time - for almost a couple of years. The T3/T4R center cartridge is what makes this BB turbo option a "bolt on" for the 951. It's amusing to read Lindsey's claim of these BB center cartridges were formerly not available to any turbo builders. For me, it's no surprise that they want to take ownership of a product or option that already exists and claim it as their own. A company you can trust and who stands behind their product - not for me thank you.

If anyone is interested in the details of this "NEW" T3/T4R option, drop me a line - I'd be more than happy of sharing what I know.

Forgive me if I am reading too much into your post, but isn't there a sticky at the top of this forum regarding taking pot shots at vendors?

Again, if I am offbase and mis-understand the nature of your post, I apolgize.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:52 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Interesting thread to watch (subscribe)....

Vic - your post has been edited.

Have a nice day...

John D.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Tifosiman, LR's little "story" about ball bearing center sections is basically just not true:

"These are a true Garrett twin ball bearing center cartridge formerly not available to any turbo builders. The only twin ball bearing turbo you could get was a configuration (spec wise) from Garrett. Specs that we felt were not suited for the 951 and making good power. Especially a higher boost or larger displacement engine."

In short, they are basically saying that all that was available before was the GT series, and that Garrett has released the T3/T4R line which can be made to bolt on easier. That part is true. Specs they felt the GT series was not suited to making good power or on 951's and especially not at high boost or large displacement? Are you kidding me? Yeah okay. Nevermind the fact that high boost, and big power are exactly what they're designed for and do the best. I guess the tons of cars making 1000+hp, the ridiculous number of race winning stuff (hey, including the Audi R10, what a surprise), etc etc is somehow not quite up to 951 standards. I hope there is no misunderstanding with my post. I am not attacking LR, I am simply pointing out some wrong information. Maybe they thought it would make their products sound better? Don't get me wrong, I love LR have bought a decent number of things from them and will continue to. They usually seem to provide some nice info as well, as far as most aftermarket retailers in the Porsche world go. The only problem is occasionally they have to make some statements that really are just 100% wrong. I certainly hope it's not against the rules to point out when vendors are just plain dead wrong.

All that being said, LR still offers some great products and I will still probably buy from them in the future. I just don't understand why they try to "spice" things up a bit. I'd react much better to hearing "We are now stocking the T3/T4R ballbearing center section lineup which provides for a much easier install but gives you 99% of the GT series performance capabilities without all of the added hassle of installation. Available now in all of our current turbo selections."
Old 10-22-2007, 05:26 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Forgive me if I am reading too much into your post, but isn't there a sticky at the top of this forum regarding taking pot shots at vendors?

Again, if I am offbase and mis-understand the nature of your post, I apolgize.

The point of my comment was to highlight the fact that you should not believe everything you read. Too often the 951 crowd is led to believe that aftermarket parts for this car are so vehicle specific that, in my opinion, the technical growth of the community gets stunted.

The fact of the matter is that even though there are some good vendors out there that provide good products for our cars, there are many products/options available to us that are commonly used in other 4 cyl. turbo markets. The 951 community is not limited to just the handful of recognized vendors that offer parts for this car. With a little research, I just want users to know that a lot of products used in other turbocharged markets can be used for the 951. Seeing a 951 vendor tout their offering as being the first to hit the market when it's been available for years is simply misleading.

John D. - I apologize if my comment was out of line with the site rules. I appreciate that you left the bulk of post as my intention was to simply point out the facts.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thank you Porschefile - totally along the lines of where I am coming from.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:32 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry that I misunderstood. Without more details it did come acrossed a bit odd to me. Thanks!
Old 10-22-2007, 06:14 PM
CARNEXUS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pauerman
The fact of the matter is that even though there are some good vendors out there that provide good products for our cars, there are many products/options available to us that are commonly used in other 4 cyl. turbo markets. The 951 community is not limited to just the handful of recognized vendors that offer parts for this car. With a little research, I just want users to know that a lot of products used in other turbocharged markets can be used for the 951. Seeing a 951 vendor tout their offering as being the first to hit the market when it's been available for years is simply misleading.

I do agree with Pauerman.

I'm new to the Porsche community but I'm no stranger to the tunner market. and to be quit honest I felt that the 951's are running way behind the pack when it comes to the tunner industry. There are 2.0 Japanese motors putting down 700+hp out there, and they are not quite as solid as the 951's 2.5 engines are.

I have said this before in another thread, if we think outside the "Porsche" box and look at the tuner market in general, I think there will be some insane 951 Hp and many more options out there.

P.S. John D. Please!! change your avatar it's driving me nuts. thanks
Old 10-22-2007, 06:15 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay S2cab, tell us who you work for

Old 10-22-2007, 07:15 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CARNEXUS
I do agree with Pauerman.

I'm new to the Porsche community but I'm no stranger to the tunner market. and to be quit honest I felt that the 951's are running way behind the pack when it comes to the tunner industry. There are 2.0 Japanese motors putting down 700+hp out there, and they are not quite as solid as the 951's 2.5 engines are.

I have said this before in another thread, if we think outside the "Porsche" box and look at the tuner market in general, I think there will be some insane 951 Hp and many more options out there.

P.S. John D. Please!! change your avatar it's driving me nuts. thanks
The internal parts may, in some cases, not be as solid, but almost any Japanese cylinder block is more solid than the 944's.
If you put a real headgasket on a 944, run some decent power through, then make a mistake tuning, you'll find out what I mean.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ball bearing turbo upgrade