Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

968 vs a ls1

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 04:52 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

OK first of all, don't 968s HAVE forged rods? I know the pistons are forged.

The guy that owns www.944968.com makes it look easy. I fell for it a while ago. For each picture he has on there, figure 3-4 weeks of work, and many hundreds of dollars. I've heard numbers get thrown around, but I think the typical cost of a custom intake is $1000 and about the same for custom headers, like he has on his 16v turbo. He did a lot of that fabbing himself but if you're not skilled with fabrication/welding, that will be expensive, and there's a good chance it won't even come out straight.

I have been wanting power out of my 968 for a while. I decided to turn my desire into a fun project, turbocharging my car. I did some research, talked to many people online and in person, and tossed around many ideas. The bottom line is that on my budget of $3000 I can't really do it right, whichever route I choose to go. If I cheap out now, I either won't be able to finish the job, or I will finish the job and limit future possibilities by using poor parts. And either way it will become a money pit and end up costing me way too much. For that money, I could buy another 968! And to be honest I'd rather have 2 slow 968s than 1 fast one.

The option I'm leaning towards right now is swapping in a full 951 engine. This should cost under $2k total and with the $1k I can do a lot to get more power. Down the road, when I have more money, I can always bump it up to 2.8 or maybe more if I ever miss the large 968 engine. Plus, comparing the 951 engine to the 968 engine (let alone, 968 turbo) the 951 parts are easier to find and cheaper, and there is more knowledge/experience out there to leech for the 951 than for the 968.

And if I ever change my mind, I can swap the 968 engine back in and resell the 951 engine.

If I had the money, I would do the 16v 3.0L turbo without hesitation.

Last edited by FRporscheman; 02-19-2008 at 03:15 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:57 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 944CS
I'm saying the 944 trans is capable of much more than 140 ft-lbs. of torque with the correct gear oil. Exactly how much, I cannot say as I've never done a metallurgy test on those components as well as the torque tube.

I use Redline MT-90 mixed with Redline Heavy shockproof, for a few reasons. The MT-90 has the proper coefficient of friction for the synchro's, however it is only a GL-4 lubricant. That is why I mix in the Heavy shockproof, which has the extremem pressure agents . For an N/A trans I would use 1 quart of Heavy shockproof, the rest MT-90.
I've never felt a better shift in a 944 with any other lubricant other than the MT-90/shockproof combo. I've tried a number of different gear oils, Valvoline non synthetic, Castrol Hypoid, Mobil 1 synthetic, and Swepco. MT-90 mixed with heavy shockproof outperformed them all.
In order to get the oil in, buy some clear tubing from the local hardware store and your basic oil funnel. The funnel will insert into one end of the tubing, then tape this to the side of the car. the other end will go right into the oil filler hole. Now pour away.

I've had all of the suspects you describe above in the transaxles. Have blown several on several different lubricants. Respectfully, you may think you have found the holy grail in terms of lubricant and shifting performance, but trust me when I say that it will in no way help the inherantly weak r&p, especially when the tolerance gets out of spec. The problem with the trans is not the synchros or the gears.

I feel like I am beating a dead horse here. The n/a trans is NOT going to handle any increase in power. If someone is doing any swap, or supercharging or turbo-ing their n/a, they are best off to sell the still-working transaxle for $300-$500 and putting that money toward an S2 or 951 trans. An n/a trans with a busted r&p is only worth its weight in scrap.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:37 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DVC
You can't have A/C, power steering, or power brakes with a V8 swap? Do tell.

And tell me again about the blown 2.5 N/A with the Cracker Jack kit that molests 951's at the strip!

thanks,

considering the context I''m sure you are referring to my cracker jack kit
Old 10-25-2007, 05:45 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
thanks,

considering the context I''m sure you are referring to my cracker jack kit
I apologize, I'm not familiar with your car and I didn't mean any disrespect.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:47 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 944J
I'm sure we can all do without putdowns. (edit: I would like to learn about the steps you took and the exact parts used in your engine swap.)

You are right, I was completely out of line. For that I apologize.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:13 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DVC
I apologize, I'm not familiar with your car and I didn't mean any disrespect.

no worries it's just another car to me.

It is actually like a box of cracker jacks: little nuts,pretty chaeap and a lot of fun .

BTW have you ran your car at the track yet? I am just curious, as i have a brother with a 99Z that was going 14 flat in absolute stock form up here and that is what my s/c car ran. I would like to see what the performance diference between cars is in real life.

If mine totally craps out on me I most likely will be doing a swap, at least with the NA car. The turbo car is just too much fun on the highway.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:35 AM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blown 944
no worries it's just another car to me.

It is actually like a box of cracker jacks: little nuts,pretty chaeap and a lot of fun .
Good man You're being modest though. It's a cool car and you used a unique approach and I was an *******!

Quick Reply: 968 vs a ls1