Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I want an AIR splitter, but...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 05:08 PM
nodestination1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I want an AIR splitter, but...

I'm afraid i'm going to destroy it on the roads here in new england. Has anyone found a way to reinforce it, or is it just a lost cause? I've seen ads for front lip protectors, like the boomerang or scrape bars. Do you think something like this could work?

Performance products has some for other porsches, but nothing for the 951. I've included a link. My car is at the body shop, and I have no idea where the frame goes in the front... Is it possible to fab some skidplates and protect the AIR splitter a bit?

http://www.automotion.com/ProductCat...&cid=4&sid=307
Old 10-11-2007, 05:51 PM
jakery
resident n00b
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you search i think mike (MPD47) had his done, you can do it yourself with some fiberglass resin & cloth.
I broke mine last week, and luckily the bolts i used to hold it on we on the small side & they all popped off, so it didn't get too damaged.
I don't know much about reinforcing these, but i would imagine the front lip of the splitter gets worn & adding filler to the inside would prevent it from spitting open.

I think the reality is, yes, it breaks, so if you get one you can figure on replacing it, possibly a few times depending on your luck.
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2007, 05:56 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

GT Racing splitter.

It doesn't look quite as good, but has more clearance. I have yet to scrape mine. I have had both in the past and prefer the GT Racing one.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:00 PM
jakery
resident n00b
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiman
GT Racing splitter.

It doesn't look quite as good, but has more clearance. I have yet to scrape mine. I have had both in the past and prefer the GT Racing one.
he's right, i just prefer the AIR splitter's looks.

I think my car is lowered 1.5" in the front & 2" in the back sitting on 500 & 600lb springs
Here her pretending its a lawn mower.
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2007, 06:06 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 102 Posts

I use zipties on the sides to hold mine on. I've scraped it pretty hard on some driveways and it will blow off the zipties but the splitter stays intact. Carry a good supply of spare zipties with you so you can replace them after a good scrape.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

I could not live with a splitter, but if I had to I would look into something like motorcycle frame sliders bolted in behind the splitter to hopefully keep from bottoming onto it so easily. Delrin busings maybe.

-Joel.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:11 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Making something that is malleable and just wears away to it's natural level would be ideal. Some sort of rubber like the rear spoiler is made out of.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:52 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts

I'm on #3 now.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:55 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I use zipties on the sides to hold mine on. I've scraped it pretty hard on some driveways and it will blow off the zipties but the splitter stays intact. Carry a good supply of spare zipties with you so you can replace them after a good scrape.
I thought I was the only one that did that! I bumped into a curb once and when I got out the entire splitter had been knocked off and was laying on the ground. Every zip tied was broken but the splitter was intact and not even cracked anywhere! Just threw it in the hatch, went home and zip tied it back on.

pic of the GT racing splitter on my car.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:10 PM
spammajamma
Pro

Default thats a great idea! just got my car back from the paint shop and

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
I thought I was the only one that did that! I bumped into a curb once and when I got out the entire splitter had been knocked off and was laying on the ground. Every zip tied was broken but the splitter was intact and not even cracked anywhere! Just threw it in the hatch, went home and zip tied it back on.

pic of the GT racing splitter on my car.
the first thing I did leaving the shop was to scrape the crap out of it on the dip leading out of his lot
Old 10-11-2007, 07:10 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
awesome.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:26 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

I've lost one that was zip tied on at 140+ before, I had the same idea, that was one of my first ones. I'm on #6? #7? Not sure. I kept blowing through them. They'd tear at usually the same spot, and as I bought 4 or 5 in one blow once, plus a couple semi damaged ones from another lister I just slapped new ones on. Here's my last one:

The new one is reinforced with ballistics grade carbon kevlar (friend had some "sitting around" that he wanted to use up ). Also lining the bottom of the car with aluminum sheet so it'll keep it from splitting at the usual place up top, and keep it from rubbing through on the two usual outside places. 9 times out of 10 it'll either rub through in the front two corners causing the bottom tray to separate or split at the same between the tray and half way up the actual lip. Hold your "new" unit up to a decent light source you can see where they bonded the pieces together.

That's the cosmetic "nice" looking stuff. The ballistics grade stuff is a bright gold under it and towards the center of the piece. As per your question, if you're careful you can get away with 1 splitter every 12-18 months. But you WILL scrape it up.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:48 AM
nodestination1
Instructor

thanks for all the replys guys. Im not too worried about scraping... I can always just add an aluminum or rubber plate to the bottom. Im more afraid of bottoming out and leaving the splitter sitting in the middle of the road, or just splitting it in half.

JustinL and 87944turbo, Your splitters are held on with just zipties? sounds kinda flimzy. I guess i'd have to see it, but it sounds like it works in practice.

I'd have to have my guy paint it, then let me install it later, because there's no way i could leave his shop without ripping it off. I scraped coming in, and it's stock height with no batwing. it's a good 50 degree incline up to his garage.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:14 AM
TF
Instructor

I've had one for 4 years in Ct. on an S2 that has been lowered. I have bumped it many times and it now needs replacement but I have never torn it off.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:33 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

JustinL and 87944turbo, Your splitters are held on with just zipties? sounds kinda flimzy. I guess i'd have to see it, but it sounds like it works in practice.
Yeah I know, I was a little suspect at first, but never had a problem. I got this one on the cheap and just painted it flat black, so I was never all that worried about it. I am sure I have had mine speed tested up to 120 or so. If I get it up in the air this weekend I will take pic.

Quick Reply: I want an AIR splitter, but...