Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine removing.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 10:02 AM
newkie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine removing.

So, im removing the engine for the winter this year. Problem is. Im storing the car in one garage, the engine in one, and im taking the engine out in a third garage. So, i need to be able to get the car up on a transport after im done getting the engine out.

Is there a writeup on getting the engine out the top of the car?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Take the engine out from the bottom, then remove the crossmember from the engine and reinstall it – the car will be a ‘roller’ and you can push it
Old 10-11-2007, 08:05 PM
slee11
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just did this last weekend. I was in the same boat, wanting remove the engine from top. I ended up pulling the engine from top but had to drop the crossmember 4" to clear the oil pan.

Lessons learned, just remove from bottom and reinstall the x-memeber. Only takes 30 minutes.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:50 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

do you leave the control arms and uprights in or role out the whole front end with motor.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:52 PM
jacksonrw
Three Wheelin'

i have lifted it from above and dropped it through the bottom.

no doubt dropping is better

furniture dolly
Old 10-11-2007, 10:13 PM
mjensen
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just pulled mine last weekend. A little tip: Raise the car high enoth to drop from bottom with crossmember, steering rack and suspension. With the picker supporting the engine, remove the crossmember and castor bolts, lower the engine ONTO the engine hoist legs and roll the complete unit out supported by the engine hoist legs!
Old 10-11-2007, 11:42 PM
mortymower
Rennlist Member

+1 out the bottom, you can leave control arms on to if you want it helps to have 2 people to do that though
Old 10-12-2007, 12:19 AM
bscpanther
Racer

Just did it on tuesday. I don't see how much harder it can be coming out the top but I haven't tried it and never want to so we'll leave it at that. I've seen the pictures of the guys rolling the block out on the suspension but for me that doesn't make any sense since I just wanted the block out. I cleared under the car with the crossmember and everything else but I don't recommend it if you don't have someone else helping because jack stands start moving and crap.. I had to ditch the 6" high furniture dolly and drop it on my crawler, only 2" high... Yeah Baby, it didn't even break. This is what I want to know, in all the pictures I've seen it looks like the wiring harness is disconnected from the car.. didn't spend a whole lot of time thinking about it but I have no idea how you guys did this.??? I ended up taking the harness off the engine which wasn't too bad at all.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:43 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by bscpanther
Just did it on tuesday. I don't see how much harder it can be coming out the top but I haven't tried it and never want to so we'll leave it at that. I've seen the pictures of the guys rolling the block out on the suspension but for me that doesn't make any sense since I just wanted the block out. I cleared under the car with the crossmember and everything else but I don't recommend it if you don't have someone else helping because jack stands start moving and crap.. I had to ditch the 6" high furniture dolly and drop it on my crawler, only 2" high... Yeah Baby, it didn't even break. This is what I want to know, in all the pictures I've seen it looks like the wiring harness is disconnected from the car.. didn't spend a whole lot of time thinking about it but I have no idea how you guys did this.??? I ended up taking the harness off the engine which wasn't too bad at all.
I pulled my entire harness with the engine and then tagged everything and then bagged the harness. It's a good time to do a reality check on heat damaged insulation with the harness free, especially on a 951. I had to remove the X-member first as I need ed room to work the engine free. I had the full cat section attached. I put the X-member/PS unit back on so the car was a roller again.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:38 AM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done it and out the bottom, just like the factory, and the removal was very easy.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:51 AM
ttwirz
Racer

How high do you have to get the front end to get it out. I am pulling the engin over the winter and am a bit freeked getting the car so high with out a lift.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:10 PM
bscpanther
Racer

IIRC it was just over 2 feet and quite dangerous looking. If you want an exact number measure from the top to bottom of what you're pulling then add the height of your dolly. Either way I highly recommend a second person helping.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:18 PM
JE_951
Pro

THe car has to be prety high to get the engine out the bottom. I dropped the engine onto a furniture dolly then hooked the hoist to the tow hook and lifted up the front end. After I got the engine out, I lowered the car onto stands and hooked the crossmember/control arms back on so it was a roller.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:20 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I take the head off first (I mean you have to anyway if you are removing the engine....right?) then its really easy.

When you install the engine and cross-member together, you can get the spline in ALONE! I have done it many times.
Good luck doing that with the cross-member in position.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:17 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by ttwirz
How high do you have to get the front end to get it out. I am pulling the engin over the winter and am a bit freeked getting the car so high with out a lift.
If you set the rear jack stands lower than the fronts you gain an extra inch or two for clearance. Mine cleared with everything on but the intake manifold using my creeper as a dolly. The standard 3-ton stands will raise to 24" and are very stable. I went out the bottom and lifted it with the hoist onto the engine stand for a thorough pressure washing.

Quick Reply: Engine removing.