Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Plug and Play MAF

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 11:21 AM
thewitchdokta
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Plug and Play MAF

I' have a mostly stock 87 951. Chips LBE, 3bar FPR, cat delete and the lot. I've been thinking about trying to get just a bit more out of the car. I'm intent on keeping my vehicle a street car but like the idea of a MAF. As i understand the plug and play ones like the one from 951MAX is a bolt on and plugs right into the port that the old sensor ran to. Are these sensors made to run without a piggyback? Do they need any sort of calibration? Are they set to run with stock engines or can any specifications be re-programmed? Please fill me in.

Also, if i were to get one with a piggyback like the lindsay MAF, is there a place to get pre-programmed maps that you can just tweak?

And finally, would getting a lindsay stage 1 intercooler make a significant difference on a monstly stock car? I understnad the cooling efficiency is a little better, but the flow/decrease in pressure drop across the cooler is what realy makes the biggest difference.

Thanks
Old 10-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vitesse MAf is offered as plug and play, and the out of box tune is awesome - but with any MAF I would say get a PB just so you have the option of tuning with it.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:21 PM
special tool
Banned

Allow me to advise those who may not be experienced with engine tuning.

The piggy back is used to fine tune the Motronic tune.

There is no chip tuner on the planet who can come to EVERY SINGLE car's needs with one chip.

You will ALWAYS be able to get it better with the piggy back.

This is because every engine is slightly different - even those with exactly the same hardware.

Its ironic (and funny to me ) that the thread starter's thinks that the system used with the piggyback is sub-par.
I have have hashed the reason sooooo many times, I won't do it again.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:10 PM
thewitchdokta
Rennlist Member

Thanks for your quick reply Mr..Tool(?) Anyway, I'm clear on the fact that using a PB to fine tune and MAF makes the best results but what i am not clear on is if the MAF on it's own will do dilligence and run reasonable well. I'm sure the towering experience of rennlisters will come to my aid Maybe even the gentleman from 951 max, as i understand he posts here as well.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:26 PM
JE_951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LR MAF (with 951max chips) will be a plug and play, the vitesse will be plug and play, SFR MAF's will be plug and play, Autothority MAF's wil lbe plug and play. You then have the option of buying a piggyback from vitesse, SFR, or LR to fine tune with.

In a educated guess of whats to come with your questions...

-Vitesse will be the best plug and play and his piggyback will make it almost if not perfect.
-The LR MAfterburner is a great product (that I use also) very easy to tune with but lacks some options such as timing adjustment.
-SFR is now selling a sweet new MAF set-up that is after the turbo, Not sure on its performance though since its a new product.
-Russel at 951max has a new product called the maxtronic that is a chip emuliator (I may have spelled that wrong) which is a single chip that you can retune.

Any product you go with you will most likely be happy with. Jut find out how much you wnt to pay and what functions you want with the system and pick from the options.

BTW I would ditch the LBE and get a boost controller as well as a new wastegate (dual port: Tial, LR).

-Jace
Old 10-08-2007, 02:29 PM
JE_951
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW: mr.Tool is one of the most educated men on then board. He has one of the highest output daily driver 951's here and is using Vitesse products. Use the search function and you will also dig up ALOT and let me emphisize AAAAALLLLLLLOOOOOOOTTTTTT on this MAF subject.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:37 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by special tool
I have hashed the reason sooooo many times, I won't do it again.
Oh-oh, sounds like somebody's got the case of the Mondays .. sorry I watched Office Space again yesterdsay.

Anyway, the first time I took my car to a dyno after installing my Vitesse MAF, AFR was dead on without the piggyback. I've never heard anyone say anything other than that either. I could be wrong, but I believe the reason it is so accurate is that John re-wrote the Motronic code, and it automatically compensates on-the-fly for slight differences from car to car.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:42 PM
thewitchdokta
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info Jace & Kevin. Though I don't know the guy, Mr Tool sounds like he knows his stuff. Post on, and I will search the forums.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:45 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

no need to get a piggyback don't listen to stool, all you need is a manual boost controler, crank the boost to 25psi, oh and don't forget my phone # so you can call me later to sell me your car for parts.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:49 PM
thewitchdokta
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I've just read though a couple(hundred) posts on the subject. Lots of good information on here. Lart; ill be sure to keep you in mind if my car ever meets an unfortunate demise.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:56 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by kevincnc
Oh-oh, sounds like somebody's got the case of the Mondays .. sorry I watched Office Space again yesterdsay.

Anyway, the first time I took my car to a dyno after installing my Vitesse MAF, AFR was dead on without the piggyback. I've never heard anyone say anything other than that either. I could be wrong, but I believe the reason it is so accurate is that John re-wrote the Motronic code, and it automatically compensates on-the-fly for slight differences from car to car.
The ratio of cake to people is...

I didn't recieve a check.

Okay....that's it... that's the last straw...
I'm going to burn down the building.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:06 PM
thewitchdokta
Rennlist Member

I think Tool is about to blow a gasket. Don't feel bad. Some people take advice to heart.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:12 PM
special tool
Banned

After I dyno this dry sump results, work begins on the 9,000 RPM 951.

Except this one will actually happen.....
Old 10-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
After I dyno this dry sump results, work begins on the 9,000 RPM 951.

Except this one will actually happen.....
What head?

Rogue
Old 10-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Here is ST installing the brand new vitesse piggyback for his 9000rpm motor.

Quick Reply: Plug and Play MAF