Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Jet-Hot coated parts received...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 05:51 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Yikes. I just got mine back.... in sterling! What goes wrong?
It flakes off, sometimes very fast. Swain is the only coating I recommend or use. Not bling but functional.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never seen it flake off on anything Tom. The crossover pipe, if it's done, will loose some of the luster and seem like it's flaking but it's not. Maybe it's happened but I haven't seen any flaking with the 5 cars that have it that I've been around.

My exhaust manifolds and down pipe after 7 years look as new upon inspection on my street car, needless to say so does the intake. The stuff on my boat looks brand new after 12 years but sees temps nowhere near what our cars see.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:12 AM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I've got over 2500 miles on my Sterling coated headers...NO flaking, cracking, discoloration!
I did use 2000 on the crossover & downpipe though. I just love when these threads about thermal
coatings show up. Swain is better, Jet Hot is crap, etc, etc.... So amusing!

Old 10-06-2007, 10:46 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

^^^Yummmmm!
Old 10-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Swain is a great company and coatings. Thermal properties, coated bearings, OIL - are all topics that should be left to the individual and his own money because we all have opinions. It seems that the above 3 topics cause more bickering here on RL than I've ever seen, especially oil.

Sam, when you get a chance, if you have or access to a laser temp gun, post some temps of the exhaust and down pipe temps...say after driving the car 30 minutes, some spirited runs, then bring it home and open the hood. With the engine running record the temps of the middle of the down pipe and on the exhaust right where the pipe meets the flange. I'd like to see how much the 2000 drops the temp over the sterling. I did some test before and have the readings on the sterling.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:29 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Ski
looks great Sam. Sterling holds up on the street but not with track temps. Nice choice...did you get in touch with Todd at Jet Hot for your items?
I really just dealt with them via email - it was Todd I believe though that was answering my emails/questions.

Originally Posted by bscpanther
Yeah that is the sexiest cam cover I've seen. How much for a job like that?
I really dont even remember as its been awhile, $250? Thanks btw-

Originally Posted by mwc951
I just love when these threads about thermal
Yup, makes me chuckle.

Originally Posted by Ski
Sam, when you get a chance, if you have or access to a laser temp gun, post some temps of the exhaust and down pipe temps...say after driving the car 30 minutes, some spirited runs, then bring it home and open the hood. With the engine running record the temps of the middle of the down pipe and on the exhaust right where the pipe meets the flange. I'd like to see how much the 2000 drops the temp over the sterling. I did some test before and have the readings on the sterling.
No problem - will be interesting to see the difference. These parts are going on the spare motor which we are installing in December. So it will be a few months but Ill be happy to do that.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sounds good, the sterling had an average drop of 206° over non coated parts; this being 4 readings on the exhuast manifolds and a couple of spots on the down pipe. The intake had lower readings but only by about 10° over a non coated one.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:41 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stuff looks nice sam btw the rack and stuff worked out great, nice to not to have to be a body builder to steer the thing with 255's up front!
Old 10-06-2007, 07:14 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by badcoupe
stuff looks nice sam btw the rack and stuff worked out great, nice to not to have to be a body builder to steer the thing with 255's up front!
Thanks Mike, nice meeting you finally!
Old 10-06-2007, 07:29 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mwc951
I've got over 2500 miles on my Sterling coated headers...NO flaking, cracking, discoloration!
I did use 2000 on the crossover & downpipe though. I just love when these threads about thermal

Why don't you coat the turbo hotside with Sterling 2000 or whatever and report back after a few thousand miles , lets see if you are still amused. BTW, Swain DOES hold up on this application.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:37 AM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
Why don't you coat the turbo hotside with Sterling 2000 or whatever and report back after a few thousand miles , lets see if you are still amused. BTW, Swain DOES hold up on this application.
That's just SWELL that Swain holds up to whatever application!

I have no inclination to uninstall my turbo just to have it coated.
Way too much other stuff going on in my life. Tons of other projects besides working on the Porsche.

BTW...Sterling & 2000 are different products.

Like I said these coating threads are SOOO very amusing!!
Old 10-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK, I've wanted to ask about this for a lonnnnngggg time. Aluminum, as far as metals go, dissipates heat very well. When you guys go and paint all your stuff, the metal can no longer breathe, therefor all the heat stays trapped inside whatever you have painted. Has anyone ever done any temp comparos on a painted/unpainted cam box or intake manifold?
Old 10-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Spidey,

Good question, but it is dependant on the object being coated. For example, aluminum can dissapate heat pretty well, however if it radiates heat well chances are it can also soak it up. For intakes most hi-perf applications have a reflective type coating that will block heat, where as other coatings keep heat in (exhaust) to improve performance.

The coatings being discussed actually do things, where as paint, in and of itself as just a color does next to nothing. Coating the head/painting it generally does nothing, whereas if it were a turbo you'd want more than just paint but some kind of thermal coating.

Its not just that the coatings keep "heat" in, but rather may keep it out. Heat is relative to the ambiant temp inside the engine bay. The "cool" air we refer to is only cool in comparison to the surrounding or possible temps.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:19 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Last pic is a teaser of the assembled cam tower which is plenty blingy.
Sam, that cam color combo looks awesome, great job!

Old 10-07-2007, 11:34 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Parts look good Sam. If your ready to bolt them on tomorrow, just let me know!

Quick Reply: Jet-Hot coated parts received...