Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

reverse flow intercooler efficiency any documented results

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 02:26 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default reverse flow intercooler efficiency any documented results

I am about ready to start on my little project and the first thing I am looking at is how well the intercooler works in a reverse flow.

I will be using my custom intake from my little supercharged car and the tubing routing will be much easier if I can switch them. Otherwise I will have an X under the hood.

I did a search but after reading through a few pages of bickeringa about hwo welll teh stock IC does vs others I just can't read through any more to get the info needed.

Iny documented results of efficiency and possibly a temp reading both ways?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Technically there is probably next to no difference running the stock IC either way. I mean, you'd be using the same size components, the only real difference is one end tank has a slightly sharper angle to it than the other. The only things IC changes are going to affect is basically just intake temps, airflow velocity, and heat soak. Without actually changing to a different IC, you still have the same diameter IC setup, same amount of surface area, etc etc. What minimal difference there could possibly be would probably barely be measurable and certainly not substantial enough to make any actual performance difference on a street car.

The main reason I would run the IC flow "backwards" would be to clean up the engine bay. With a stock 951 intake, I doubt it would really clean up anything. With something like an n/a 944 intake that has the TB positioned farther towards the passenger side (sounds like that's what you're using?), it could be beneficial as you wouldn't have to cross the IC pipes so the flow would be a bit more direct. The stock IC is great for the price (used that is), and it will work perfectly fine for a good 200-350whp or so. Plenty of people use them just fine above that, but in my experience much above 350whp and more surface area is a better idea to combat heat soak, especially if tracking the car.

Quick Reply: reverse flow intercooler efficiency any documented results