Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Vitesse Stage 3 kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 10:23 AM
aromocki
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vitesse Stage 3 kit

Just had my first track day with my new Vitesse Stage 3 Kit. The kit consisted of a turbo, MAF, 72 lb injectors and a piggyback kit.

The reason I bought the kit is that I had blown my original turbo the prior year after doing about 25 track days that year and had a modified K26/8 installed. Modified in that the cold side was blowing more air as it could hold 15lbs to red line no problem. Ironically, that turbo lasted approximately another 25 track days which brought me into this year. I ran over a seagull on the track a few minutes before the turbo blew so I am not sure if it was Karma paying me back..... I ordered another Garrett based turbo from a well know source that I will not disclose as I have had other positive dealings with them.

In addition to the Garrett based turbo I bought an Autothority MAF kit and Fuel Pressure regulator. My mechanic installed the entire setup and drove the car for a test drive and it smoked horribly as oil was getting past the seals in the Garret based turbo. It would go through a litre in about 5 minutes. In the interests of making the race we put back a stock K26/8 and it ran fine during testing. SO clearly there was no mechanic error in the install. I have since shipped it back to the vendor and if they try and screw me on the faulty turbo I will post the name and model of it so others dont run into the same money trap.

On race day, I went out for a practice lap and blew my head gasket. Which was very disappointing. I tried contacting Autothority several times via phone and email and no one got back to me. I was pretty annoyed and did some searching on Rennlist and there were a few posts regarding Autothority and leanness on the higher rpms. I am not saying that Autothority blew my head but after spending $2k it would be nice to have some response from a vendor. In the meantime I bought a wideband AFR sensor. Yes, I should have had that originally and may have saved myself a lot of money!

I searched Rennlist for a good complete kit and came up with John's Vitesse Stage III. I was immediately impressed how responsive and knowledgeable he was. The order was placed and after a slight haggle with customs in Canada, finally received the kit.

My mechanic told me that installation was a breeze and the tuning software was incredibly easy to use. I develop software for a living so maybe that has something to do with it.......

I took it to the track yesterday and my car ran superbly! It was raining and I wanted to ease in the turbo so I didn't really kill it but I have to say that at the top of the straight at mosport I picked up 20km/h which is very impressive. I was running 94 octane and 15 psi of boost and hit 235 km/h. I will take it to a dyno next week and post the results as well but I am incredibly pleased with the product and decided to create this post to save some people all the trouble and money that I went through.

Thanks to Vitesse and Rennlist I have an incredibly competitive car that pulls as if there is a V8 in it. The power delivery is incredibly linear unlike the stock setup and this gives me far more confidence coming out of the corners. I dont have to worry about spinning the car.

The Vitesse Kit may cost a few extra dollars but I wasted about $5k on a crappy setup beforehand so I wish I bought this kit first!
Old 09-28-2007, 10:59 AM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Here Here I will have to agree on all points. My VR setup is running flawless on the race car and I will soon have it on the 2.8L street car. AAA111 customer service.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:29 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Thank you both for the kind words, I'm glad you like the products. The Stage 3 transforms the 951 into a well mannered beast. Enjoy!
Old 09-28-2007, 03:40 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

John email sent!
Old 09-28-2007, 10:03 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

"Well mannered beast?" lol My Stage II is nothing short of AWESOME!

Regards, ...Scott
Old 09-28-2007, 10:34 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Vitesse rocks!

Old 09-29-2007, 11:36 AM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you running the stage 3 on a 2.5L or did you go to a 2.8L? How much power are you putting out?
Old 09-29-2007, 09:57 PM
aromocki
Advanced

Originally Posted by cjacob813
Are you running the stage 3 on a 2.5L or did you go to a 2.8L? How much power are you putting out?
I am running on a 2.5 L and I intend on dynoing the car this upcoming week and I will post the results. I just competed in my first race today and did a 1:37.67 at Mosport which is a personal best at that track and thats with traffic! It pulls amazing.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:58 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Hell...

I REALLY like the fact that John puts up with all of my inane questions and my annoying, piece meal approach to buying his products.

Yes I know a kit would have been cheaper all at once.

I have to agree as well. The Stage 3 kit is great. I still miss the kick of the little turbo but the stage 3 is a much better unit.

Piggy back is next as soon as I can get an external drive for my tablet notebook...

IPSC_GUY
Old 09-30-2007, 11:24 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Andrew, glad to hear your race weekend was fun.

IPSC, it was my pleasure answering all of your questions. Did you move yet?
Old 09-30-2007, 11:35 PM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

That is a lot of turbo for a 2.5L. Is there a lot of lag? Vitesse makes great stuff. I will buy a kit for my next 951.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:38 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

LAg? What's that? LOL
Old 10-01-2007, 10:09 AM
aromocki
Advanced

Originally Posted by fast951
Andrew, glad to hear your race weekend was fun.

IPSC, it was my pleasure answering all of your questions. Did you move yet?
Not sure what you mean by "move yet?"
Old 10-01-2007, 10:13 AM
aromocki
Advanced

Originally Posted by cjacob813
That is a lot of turbo for a 2.5L. Is there a lot of lag? Vitesse makes great stuff. I will buy a kit for my next 951.
The lag is comparable to the stock turbo in my opinion but the speed at which it gets to full boost is crazy and its very smooth. I was chirping the tires going into third and I never did that before. I ran double duty in GTB sprints as well as VARAC, at Mosport and the car ran perfectly. My best lap time in traffic was a 1:37.07 my best time ever on a lapping day before this new setup was 1:37.73. I placed 8th overall in VARAC and 2nd in my class. Not bad for my first ever race weekend. I placed about 19th out of 42 in GTB but I was taking it easy as I was spent from my last race as I needed to pull double duty to upgrade from a learners license to a full race license. I was the only car to drive to and from the track! When I was in the staging area someone told me that I was the subject of a practical joke as there were license plates on my car........No joke as it was street legal.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:54 AM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

Sounds fast. Put it on a dyno.

Quick Reply: Vitesse Stage 3 kit