For those who stripped the interior

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 08:09 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default For those who stripped the interior

What did you do, besides the obvious of removing the carpet and noise insulation.................

Just how much weight is expected to be lost?

Does anyone here have a street car or daily driven car with just the interior essentials?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it... I would never do it again. It's not really worth the weight IMO.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:11 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking for an NA, which is the same damn thing. I drive my NA on the street on occasion too.

Remove: rear deck carpet, jack and spare, rear seat upper and lower, carpet panels on front of rear seats, rear side carpet panels, main carpet (have to unhook gas pedal to pull it over-ugh), then remove all the sound deadening. You could remove the glove box and center console too. With no radio, no speakers are needed. No rear belts. I stripped all the upper panels on a, b, and c pillars, then pulled all the vinyl headliner. Ditched the sunroof liner and converted to manual latches.

You can strip a lot of interior out, I would bet somewhere near 30 lbs just in carpet and deadening. Rear seat and spare is that much more.

What sucks is the glue, and the tar paper should you choose to remove that. After doing it, I would stop at the deadener and then just run the factory carpet. Heck I run factory carpet over the stripped floors anyway just to make it look that much nicer.

For a street car I wouldn't even bother. It makes everything louder and many more vibrations are audible. The tranny whines, the belts whine, the exhaust rattles. Great on the track, not so much on the road, especially for long distances.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Cory9584
Drifting

The carpet actually doesnt weigh much, I removed all the insulation and sound deadener then put the carpet back. converting the sunroof to manual is also a very good reduction, if you ditch the headliner and flap you can have the factory brackets duplicated without the bend on it and it will hold the roof down better without any of the roof trim
Old 10-03-2007, 01:41 PM
elcap00
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sound deadening material and tarmats are an 89 lb loss----I completely stripped my car and think I dropped about 232 lbs--including heater, ac carpet etc. for the track-------whole new car--a lot of work but, totally/completely worthwhile
Old 10-03-2007, 01:44 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
What did you do, besides the obvious of removing the carpet and noise insulation.................

Does anyone here have a street car or daily driven camel with just the interior essentials?

My camel does indeed have but the interior essentials as heat, lightweight carpet, seats, etc.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:45 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

my car is 2667lbs (1210KG) with a bit over 3/4th tank. thats just from removing ****.
will weigh again when cage is in and stuff is in carbon and fiberglass.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:08 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by hosrom_951

Does anyone here have a street car or daily driven camel with just the interior essentials?
Hussam, I did that with my last 951, but I haven't try that with a camel, but if you want to save weight just remove some of the extra clothing you guys wear.
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2007, 02:43 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Old 10-03-2007, 02:51 PM
gjoey66
Instructor

I'm at 2680 lbs with half a tank...i removed everying including the dash, plus i have a full cage with double door bars...just bolted the cluster in with an aluminum strap...actually i'm probaby a lot lighter now...just did lexan windshield and hatch...plus have fiberglass fenders coming in...so maybe 2600 even...we'll see. it's a beast...these cars are so much faster with less weight...i think it's more important than RWHP...i'm putting down about 250 and i'm really competitive in my region...
Old 10-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

How much comfort do you want, that's the question in the heat you have. If you really want something to throw around, get a 944 NA and I mean strip it! You could get it down to less than 2500, it's work but you can get it less than that with some fiberglass stuff, lexan - all power acc stuff gone, door glass gone, a/c heater gone, headlights crap gone, carpet/sound deadening/glue, pull all the wires you don't need for power stuff too.

Track car is 2550 with 1/2 tank of 104.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:31 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I came in a 2810 with 3/4 tank of gas at last weight in. I run CF GT3 seats, rear seat delete, RS door panels, but full carpet, minus the big sound dampening mats that soak up water underneath the carpet. I also don't run cruise control, AC, or power steering. I have not weighed yet with the new 3" exhaust which should be lighter as well. I run 17" rims which are a shade heavier than the phone dials. I really want to find a good fitting carbon fiber or fiberglass hood as my last major weight reduction. This is also my daily driver. The two things I really like to have in the car are power windows and the power sunroof, so I have kept those...powered.

I think the biggest gain in interior noise was the deletion of the rear seat...you can really hear the tranny.

I don't think you will notice a whole lot in terms of performance until you start swapping seats, etc, dropping AC, and those such items.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:38 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

yeah removing the power steering unit and replacing it with a manual sys MAKES A BIG DIFF.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:39 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

u could have a custom dash i think OZ made one. That also makes a big diff.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:47 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

My car was 2760 last I weighed it, and that was when it still had some carpeting in it.

If you really wanna get serious about stripping, strip all the undercoating both off the unibody and from the interior.

I'm shooting for sub 2500lbs this coming year, but that's with a lot of composite bodywork and unibody mods elsewhere too.

Quick Reply: For those who stripped the interior