Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Target: 350 RWHP

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 11:57 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to own a 968 with an LSx series engine in it. I just can see myself doing it to an 8 series or something along those lines first.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:11 PM
anders44
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to admit, americans makes some very nice engines, the chevy lsx series is among them. we in europe just can't compete to that v8 sound ****. and that light and powerfull.. hell yeah! when I finish my 951 build a 948 will follow some time or another.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:05 PM
CARNEXUS
Instructor

It seams like there is a market out there for the GT30R in the 951s. How come no one has built a kit for it yet? I would buy one.
Old 09-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CARNEXUS
It seams like there is a market out there for the GT30R in the 951s. How come no one has built a kit for it yet? I would buy one.
Doesn't SFR offer one?

http://www.speedforceracing.com/prod...bochargers.php
Old 09-29-2007, 06:02 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by anders44
I have to admit, americans makes some very nice engines, the chevy lsx series is among them. we in europe just can't compete to that v8 sound ****. and that light and powerfull.. hell yeah! when I finish my 951 build a 948 will follow some time or another.
Are you having a laugh?

http://www.ukintpress.com/engineofth...revious04.html

How many American winners are there?
Old 09-29-2007, 07:59 PM
special tool
Banned

Originally Posted by NZ951
Are you having a laugh?

http://www.ukintpress.com/engineofth...revious04.html

How many American winners are there?

Even I must admit, Andrew...

When you consider:
-Mass of package
-Volume of package
-Fuel efficiency of package
-Cost to produce package
-STRESS on package

The ls6 looks damn good.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:32 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 87924GT
I'm signing up for this thread. It looks like the direction I want to follow myself with the 2-3 DE's auto-x and a buch more fun on the street with all those "muscle cars" out there waiting to get busted by a little 4-banger!
Steve Ed
GET THAT DAMN CAT OUT FIRST!!

Old 09-29-2007, 09:40 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Originally Posted by special tool
Even I must admit, Andrew...

When you consider:
-Mass of package
-Volume of package
-Fuel efficiency of package
-Cost to produce package
-STRESS on package

The ls6 looks damn good.
Hmmm Toyota 1UZ (from 1997) makes more power per litre than the uprated 2002 LS6. BMW's S65 V8 (4.0) leaves it in the dust...

But fair enough I am sure its a capable motor, just doesnt set the world on fire compared to the rest
Old 09-29-2007, 10:28 PM
davepnola
Racer

How about this motor ? 2.5-litre to 3-litre: BMW 3-litre Twin Turbo Diesel

Audi is beating everyone in their TDI Formula 1 Car !! I wonder how much you could tweak tha Bimmer Engine ?
Old 09-29-2007, 10:53 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=davepnola;4623941]Audi is beating everyone in their TDI Formula 1 Car !! QUOTE]

If you mean ALMS car(not F1), wrong again. The Porsche RS spider has been killing them this year and the Spider runs in a slower class!
Old 09-30-2007, 01:27 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Markota
I like the honesty..even when you on a C5 Z06 correct? What negatives can you say about the 951?
Yup it is what it is. I didn’t buy it for its looks. I wanted a car that would go well with my gold chains and mullet. The side profile of the fixed coup roof is awesome but the car is pretty ugly from the front and back Just like every car, it does have its limitations. The interior quality pretty much sucks. The ZO6 comes with standard seats instead of the sport seats to save weight and the leather is terribly cheap. The sport seats are made for fat guys and the standard seats are made for really fat guys. On the track my skinny *** is sliding all around the interior and the door speaker grill is like a cheese grater so on the track you have a tendency to use your L knee to brace yourself in a corner and it cuts the **** out of you. It shifts like a dump truck (I've cleaned mine up quite a bit), and GM bit off more then they can chew with the electronics. They designed the hydraulic throw out bearing poorly and if you beat on the stock clutch (power shifting) the clutch sticks to the floor because the fluid heats up so you need to stay on top of clutch fluid replacement. From a functionality and maintenance perspective the car is very competent and I average 22MPG in mixed traffic. I’ve gotten 29 on road trips.

What can I say negative about the 951? The AC systems are sub par (in 115 degree heat), and the motor doesn't make enough low end torque to lug it around in 2 gear in stop and go traffic. Outside of that not too much. Personally I love the frequent maintenance, endless oil leaks, hatch rattles, 16 hour clutch change jobs, having to order just about every part, broken CV’s, finicky sunroofs, 137 cooling hoses, un-fused battery cables that run across the complete motor near the exhaust, leaky fuel lines, 200 engine bolts, broken timing belts, lower ball joint failures, rusted batter tray areas, cracked headers, hi-tech crank case ventilation system, #2 rod bearing failures, $65 oil changes, $100 dollar cap and rotor sets, specialized honing equipment, and did I mention oil leaks?

Seriously though, the 951 is my favorite car. It’s just not a car for everyone. I drove it daily for 7 years and has become a bit too extreme for that anymore. I also drive 100 miles a day and I hate to put it through that. I bought the Z because I wanted a car that had rock solid AC, great low end torque, low maintenance, local parts availability, cheap and easy modding, and could hold its own at track events. A secondary consideration was if I wrecked it, scratched it, someone stole it, or a bird **** on it I wouldn’t care because I could pick another one up tomorrow. I looked at E46 m3’s, Vipers, 996’s, and the Z was the best value for the dollar (to be honest it performed better) and matched my requirements the closest. I drive my cars very hard and maintain them fanatically.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:32 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
What can I say negative about the 951? The AC systems are sub par (in 115 degree heat), and the motor doesn't make enough low end torque to lug it around in 2 gear in stop and go traffic. Outside of that not too much. Personally I love the frequent maintenance, endless oil leaks, hatch rattles, 16 hour clutch change jobs, having to order just about every part, broken CV’s, finicky sunroofs, 137 cooling hoses, un-fused battery cables that run across the complete motor near the exhaust, leaky fuel lines, 200 engine bolts, broken timing belts, lower ball joint failures, rusted batter tray areas, cracked headers, hi-tech crank case ventilation system, #2 rod bearing failures, $65 oil changes, $100 dollar cap and rotor sets, specialized honing equipment, and did I mention oil leaks?
You forgot Torsion bars. Sheesh.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:50 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ951
Hmmm Toyota 1UZ (from 1997) makes more power per litre than the uprated 2002 LS6. BMW's S65 V8 (4.0) leaves it in the dust...

But fair enough I am sure its a capable motor, just doesnt set the world on fire compared to the rest
Well if you consider the cost of the LS6 motor as well as the 50 year old technology and power potential it's pretty awesome. Remember it's an SOHV pushrod motor that gets 20+MPG in the city, has just one cam, no fancy variable cam timing or intake runners, and revs to 6500 all day long. Believe it or not is is considered a low emissions engine as well. What does a brand new complete S65 cost? How have those engines held up in race environments? GM tried a "fancy" V8 in the ZR-1 (designed by Lotus) and all it did was add cost, maintenance, and unreliability. Back in the day this motor "set the world on fire". Oh yeah this was in 1993 making 405 HP NA so Toyota and BMW aren't necessarily leading the pack as far as high-output NA V8's go, they're just catching up and doing it by adding a ton of cost and that doesn't impress me at all.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:54 AM
TRP951
Rennlist Member

Well if you consider the cost of the LS6 motor as well as the 50 year old technology and power potential it's pretty awesome. Remember it's an SOHV pushrod motor that gets 20+MPG in the city, has just one cam, no fancy variable cam timing or intake runners, and revs to 6500 all day long. Believe it or not is is considered a low emissions engine as well. What does a brand new complete S65 cost? How have those engines held up in race environments? GM tried a "fancy" V8 in the ZR-1 (designed by Lotus) and all it did was add cost, maintenance, and unreliability. Back in the day this motor "set the world on fire". Oh yeah this was in 1993 making 405 HP NA so Toyota and BMW aren't necessarily leading the pack as far as high-output NA V8's go, they're just catching up and doing it by adding a ton of cost and that doesn't impress me at all.
yup and a intake/cam/exhaust on a lsx makes 400+whp
Old 09-30-2007, 03:46 AM
NZ951
Race Director

I dont know what an LS6 goes for, but you can pick up one of the Toyota V8's I am referring to here for USD1100. Ah and the 1UZ is a taxi motor...

The 1UZ has a rev limit of 6500 factory and goes over 7000 all day.

I dont know about the S65 cost, I am sure its lots though!

The LS6 I saw with over 400HP was the 2002 variant not 1993?

The technology / cost Toyota have added in twin cams, variable cam and intake have made it a more powerful motor, which the reliability is really incredibly impressive and cheap to maintain... it also comes in ambulances. They kinda need to be reliable.

Quick Reply: Target: 350 RWHP