Installed hard pipes and greddy BOV, lost a little boost

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 02:22 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
No way Ryan, you don't get off that easy! You got another 951? Ok, now I am lost. First you were living in the Amazon jungle or something, then came back to civilization and sold your parts, and now you got another 951? You have some explaing to do son!

Rolex... LOL. Yeah, the Yaris was more car than I am driver so I decided to get a measly 951 instead. I'm really going to miss the jaw dropping acceleration of the Yaris, but it is just too scary for me. This 951 with Vitesse stage II is much more manageable.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:39 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorax
Rolex... LOL. Yeah, the Yaris was more car than I am driver so I decided to get a measly 951 instead. I'm really going to miss the jaw dropping acceleration of the Yaris, but it is just too scary for me. This 951 with Vitesse stage II is much more manageable.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:39 AM
ivai
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm.. I bet I know where to find pics..
Old 09-25-2007, 12:45 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The Yaris, but it is just too scary for me. This 951 with Vitesse stage II is much more manageable.
Oh ok, so now onto the new 951!!

Old 09-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ivai
Hmmm.. I bet I know where to find pics..
doesn't your car have a vitesse stage II?
Old 09-25-2007, 04:25 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Is it a Greddy Type R? If so, those are known to leak, and 14psi seems to be about the limit before they can start seeing issues. Technically, the BOV shouldn't leak or open at all until you let off the throttle on boost. With it leaking, that is causing added lag.

By tightening the spring in the BOV, you are causing it to open up later, so at low rpm or partial throttle and while building boost, it won't open or will barely crack open so the car will act as if you have no BOV/BV basically causing the intake air to back up and surge the compressor. With smaller turbos it really shouldn't be doing it hardly at all. Big turbos are a completely different story as the stiffer wastegate and BOV spring pressures you'd typically see will make surging the compressor fairly normal at low rpm partial throttle and building boost under the WG spring pressure.

Here's a video to give you an idea: Link
Old 09-25-2007, 04:38 PM
tedesco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for some time I run the greddy type r BOV as well but decided to discard it after some driving. What I found not to be ideal is simply the large diameter of the BOV and the resulting big T you need to have in the intercooler pipes. My intercooler pipes are 60mm and you joint the 40mm tube from the BOV to it. The resulting joint I suspect to be quite lossy (in case of the BOV beeing closed under boost conditions)for the charge air flow as it will see a big (and in my case sharp) step. I don´t know if its clear but maybe you get an idea. I would now rather use several small BOV for which I think it is easier to join the recirculation line back to the intercooler pipe nicely.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porschefile
Is it a Greddy Type R? If so, those are known to leak, and 14psi seems to be about the limit before they can start seeing issues. Technically, the BOV shouldn't leak or open at all until you let off the throttle on boost. With it leaking, that is causing added lag.

By tightening the spring in the BOV, you are causing it to open up later, so at low rpm or partial throttle and while building boost, it won't open or will barely crack open so the car will act as if you have no BOV/BV basically causing the intake air to back up and surge the compressor. With smaller turbos it really shouldn't be doing it hardly at all. Big turbos are a completely different story as the stiffer wastegate and BOV spring pressures you'd typically see will make surging the compressor fairly normal at low rpm partial throttle and building boost under the WG spring pressure.

Here's a video to give you an idea: Link
Its the greddy type RS. How can I see if its leaking? I have a forge BOV unit as well, but unfortunately the SFR intercooler pipes are flanged for the type RS only
Old 09-25-2007, 05:11 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Its the greddy type RS. How can I see if its leaking? I have a forge BOV unit as well, but unfortunately the SFR intercooler pipes are flanged for the type RS only
Well, the type RS is supposed to be a better one. A friend of mine is running some 22-24psi on his and it seems to work just fine. Are you 100% sure you don't have a leak somewhere else?
Old 09-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

I honestly don't think its leaking at this point... I think that the relative pressure just dropped a bit due to the loss of backpressure from removing the cat, as well as the increase in volume of the new hard pipes. car is boosting fine to 15psi now, and i turned it up to 17 for a bit and that was fine too. Is that what is happening? seems to make sense in my mind.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:14 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you buy that beautiful red one with 968 seats?
Old 09-25-2007, 06:39 PM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Nope, It's white. Pics coming tomorrow ....
Old 09-26-2007, 04:10 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Less backpressure (e.g. a removed cat) results in higher boost pressure with no other changes.

Think of backpressure as a resistance that the boost must overcome... the less resistance, the less the turbo has to work.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:17 AM
Lorax
The Impaler
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duke
Less backpressure (e.g. a removed cat) results in higher boost pressure with no other changes.

Think of backpressure as a resistance that the boost must overcome... the less resistance, the less the turbo has to work.
Alright that makes sense... but then how do I explain my issue? Just the increase in volume from the hard pipes alone? I would say the drop was .75psi
Old 09-26-2007, 09:26 AM
special tool
Banned

Alright that makes sense... but then how do I explain my issue? Just the increase in volume from the hard pipes alone? I would say the drop was .75psi
that is the way it should be!
It is the opposite of decreased resistance after the turbine.
The old pipes were a restriction - congradulations, you will now make the same same hp at this lower boost setting.

I had temporarily used a 2.5 inch ic outlet pipe on my 3in/3out ic after my last round of mods.
So it TEMPORARILY went from 3 inch ic outlet, DOWN to 2.5 inch pipe to 3 inch throttle plate!! (no ballbusting please)
When I finally putthe 3 inch ic pipe on, I gained about 1.5 psi at same temp.
My turbo is as big as a pumpkin, but you get the idea.

Quick Reply: Installed hard pipes and greddy BOV, lost a little boost