Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1988 944s oil cooler question & Timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Johnny-Cat
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 1988 944s oil cooler question & Timing belt

Just picked up a 1988 944S (my 1’st 944) got it for a great price because it needed the oil cooler o ring surgery some to it. I had them convinced it needed a head gasket.  So I have all the parts on order, but my question is….there is an alignment tool needed when reassembling the housing to the block. The alignment tool goes into the hole from where the oil relief valve lives. I found the tool for sale, but it is for early 944’s up to 1986, and there is no other alignment tool that I am aware of for this job. Does the 1988 model not need this alignment procedure?

Also anyone have the procedure for performing the timing belt and balancer belt replacement?
Old 09-18-2007, 02:27 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know if the S (I'm assuming you mean 16v and not Turbo S) is covered but Clark's Garage has most everything you need.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/
Old 09-18-2007, 02:38 PM
Johnny-Cat
Intermediate

Yes, the 16v. Thanks, I will check it out
Old 09-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Johnny-Cat
Intermediate

That page is very helpful, however the alignment tool that I need to get, Pelican says that it is no longer available. I searched and searched to find it from other places with no luck. WTF??? So how do I get my car back together?
Old 09-19-2007, 01:21 PM
turboted
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not familiar with the oil cooler assembly on the 16v head. However, I assume it is similar to the oil cooler assembly on the 8v head, with which I have some experience. In keeping with this assumption, here's what I can add to this discussion...

The alignment tool is designed to prevent the oil pressure relief valve from binding in the bore after the cooler has been re-installed. You can achieve the same result by double checking the movement of the relief valve while simulatneously installing the cooler. Torque the cooler bolts a few pounds, then place the relief valve into the bore and check to make sure it moves freely. Add a few more pounds of torque and double check to make sure the valve still moves freely. Repeat this process until the cooler bolts have been torqued to spec. Essentially, you are using the relieve valve itself (rather than an alignment tool) to align the cooler to the block. Just be careful that you don't damage the valve in the process.

If the 16v head and oil cooler assembly are vastly different from the 8v head on my '86 turbo, then maybe this advice is not valid. But in theory, this should still work. But if not, PM me and let me know. I have a algnment tool for my 8v motor laying around my garage somewhere. I could send it to you for temporary use...assuming the same tool will work on 8v and 16v heads.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Johnny-Cat
Intermediate

I am going to try your suggested method………as soon as my parts come in that is. Thanks for the help, I’m sure that will work.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:22 AM
turboted
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought this thread looked familiar...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=51048
Old 09-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Johnny-Cat
Intermediate

I just can’t believe it, it exists!! Thank you very much. Hopefully they will actually have it.

Quick Reply: 1988 944s oil cooler question & Timing belt