SFR blow through MAF vs 'std' MAF kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:49 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SFR blow through MAF vs 'std' MAF kit

It seems I have fallen down a very slippery slope and in order to 'boost' myself back up again, I'm doing a few upgrades - fueling, air metering, and boooooost.

So my turbo question of the day is this: Has anyone done the upgrade to the newer 'blow-through' MAF kit as is being sold by SFR?

Curious as to whether the added cost to get this kit is worth it. With a BOV it would seem like one less thing to worry about, plus the added benefit of more stable air metering. Anyone have real feedback on this guy yet? When combined with the intercooler pipes the difference is about $250.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:55 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing this on my 3.0 project. SFR is Tim Richards and he has been tuning our cars and others for about 15+ years.

If you can wait about a month, I'll have full updates and such.

George
Old 09-17-2007, 07:15 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's how I would look at it.

For 1250 you can get the vitesse kit and run perfectly with zero need for tuning, a true MAF chip, plenty of room in the meter for a bigger turbo, a wide variety of chip maps (both race and street maps), and perfect idle, drivability, & response. You can add the SFR pipes separatly for 350 so $1600.

The SFR kit is 1725 + 300 for a fuel controller, + a set of chips (if you don't have them already) and you're still converting an AFM to a MAF signal.

I've used blowthrough MAF's on other applications and they work great but I'd be a liar if I said I could notice the difference between the two (supercharged mustang applications using pro-M meters calibrated for that application).

As far as the pipes go, I have the Lindsey pipes on my car and installed the SFR pipes on a friend's car and the lindsey pipes aren't really a close second to the SFR's as far as fit and durability go.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:00 PM
TurboTim
Banned

[QUOTE=Jeremy Himsel;4583899]Here's how I would look at it.

For 1250 you can get the vitesse kit and run perfectly with zero need for tuning, a true MAF chip, plenty of room in the meter for a bigger turbo, a wide variety of chip maps (both race and street maps), and perfect idle, drivability, & response. You can add the SFR pipes separatly for 350 so $1600.

The SFR kit is 1725 + 300 for a fuel controller, + a set of chips (if you don't have them already) and you're still converting an AFM to a MAF signal.

Just an FYI......For $1725 you get a complete with all piping,hoses clamps,upgraded blow-off valve,laptop programmable fuel controller,MAF,harness,etc......
Old 09-17-2007, 08:03 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

BTW, when I said 'this guy' I was referring to the part. I've talked to Tim on the phone, bought some Tial spacers from SFR as well. I know their reputation as well as that of John at Vitesse.... just trying to get some feedback as to this specific part, and what if any performance difference exists between the two kits.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:12 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Tim, have you used your setup on any 951? Can you share the results?
Old 09-17-2007, 08:22 PM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have also purchased Tims Blow through MAF, I am installing SFR full exhaust Innovate Lc-1,and Greddy e-01.this weekend. I hope w/in 2-3 weeks I will install the MAF and larger injectors.

BTW kit looked good. I like the idea of BOV on the boost tube right before TB.

I will post pics after install.

Steve
Old 09-17-2007, 08:27 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DrZ1
I have also purchased Tims Blow through MAF, I am installing SFR full exhaust Innovate Lc-1,and Greddy e-01.this weekend. I hope w/in 2-3 weeks I will install the MAF and larger injectors.

BTW kit looked good. I like the idea of BOV on the boost tube right before TB.

I will post pics after install.

Steve
Steve, That's great. Please post your results .. We have used a Blow Through MAF in the past, just interested in your impression.
TIA
Old 09-17-2007, 09:16 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

I don't see this thread ending nicely...........

(no, im not talking to anyone indirectly!!!)
Old 09-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=TurboTim;4584025]
Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Here's how I would look at it.

Just an FYI......For $1725 you get a complete with all piping,hoses clamps,upgraded blow-off valve,laptop programmable fuel controller,MAF,harness,etc......

Sorry Tim, the way the ad reads on your page it looks like the Fuel & timing controller is an upgrade. The contents in the parenthesis below the price make it look like it's not included and is an $300 upgrade. Does it come with chips as well?

One thing I've noticed when the MAF is downstream of the turbo or crankcase vent is the buildup of oil on the hot wire causes a misreading of the system (MAF meter reads less air then actual) and causes a leaner a/f ratio and detonation if not cleaned at regular intervals. For an aftermarket turbo it's may not be that big of a deal but on a KKK or a bit more blow-by then normal it may be a concern.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:23 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Now we're talking. That's the sort of thing I want to hear about, and hear responses to. I don't want a flame war as both these guys are respected tuners who are a value to us all.

Doing my research first, even if I end up 'cheap' we're still talking decent $$$. Thanks guys, keep it coming.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:02 AM
JE_951
Pro

There was a discussion about the oil and blow through in a earlier thread on tims new product. ALthough this is a very valuable point, if Tims new product DOES give you better results then a "Standard" MAF then you shouldnt mind taking 3-5 mins out of your life every 3 months to shoot the meter with a cleaner...

But I also have never tried his product or any strait through MAF so take my comment with a grain of salt.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:55 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by fast951
Tim, have you used your setup on any 951? Can you share the results?

Yes we have. Our results were very good and idle, part throttle drivability was great. No falling through idle after a hard run and that sort of thing like we have expereinced with some of the larger MAF units. We have only tested it on a stock turboed car at this point which is why we found a few beta testers who got the set-up a a discounted price so we could get some more feedback from others.I am sure you will hear about more impressions from some unbiased parties soon enough.I was supposed to call you John but I got carried away wiuth a bunch of other stuff herre at the shop and didnt get around to it.My apoligies
Old 09-18-2007, 01:56 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
I don't see this thread ending nicely...........

(no, im not talking to anyone indirectly!!!)

Why not? John and I have worked with each other and talked numerous times in the past and I have a lot of respect for someone that has a good product with excellent customer support.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:12 PM
TurboTim
Banned

[QUOTE=Jeremy Himsel;4584247][QUOTE=TurboTim;4584025]

Sorry Tim, the way the ad reads on your page it looks like the Fuel & timing controller is an upgrade. The contents in the parenthesis below the price make it look like it's not included and is an $300 upgrade. Does it come with chips as well?

No problem. We can supply a chip for a small price if needed.

One thing I've noticed when the MAF is downstream of the turbo or crankcase vent is the buildup of oil on the hot wire causes a misreading of the system (MAF meter reads less air then actual) and causes a leaner a/f ratio and detonation if not cleaned at regular intervals. For an aftermarket turbo it's may not be that big of a deal but on a KKK or a bit more blow-by then normal it may be a concern.

Blow-by from the engine or turbo should be a concern regardless of where the MAF is. Oil in itself can lower the octane rating of your fuel and cause detonation. Ofcourse if it gets on the sensor it can become more of an issue but the chances of it completely soaking the sensor are pretty slim considering the veloicty of the air running through the tube.Worse case scenario is that it will be light coated over time but I dont think you would see it just drench in oil and if you did,you have alot bigger problems to deal with.

Cleaning the element takes a few minutes and we think the benefits of metering air right before it enters the engine, metering air with the exact temp as what will go into the engine, chances of sucking in unmetered air and possible detonating almost completely eliminated,etc...) from having the sensor as a blow though outweighs any disadvantages (like cleaning the element every so often).

Quick Reply: SFR blow through MAF vs 'std' MAF kit