Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SFR blow through MAF vs 'std' MAF kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 08:49 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
Our MAF can be used as a draw through in front of the turbo (std setup) or a blow-through after the intercooler.
But they would have to let you know which position they planned on installing the MAF (before or after turbo) Before you programmed their chip. Correct?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:47 AM
sawood12
Racer

Originally Posted by Porschefile
+10 I'm here to end the thread on a bad note. j/k

As far as performance difference, technically there probably isn't much difference between the 2 different maf placement styles. The one obvious benefit about a blow through setup is you could run a BOV without suffering any negative side effects, plus if you get a boost leak you can just drive around n/a. j/k
Is this a fair summary of the pro's and con's of the different MAF placement? Can anyone offer any other clear advantages of a blow-through MAF either theoretical or from actual experiences?

I like the idea of the boost leak friendly aspect but if you are going to have to overcome allsorts of other problems to get it to work, and even then with no performance advantage, then I fail to see the attraction of the blow-through setup.

Thanks. Scott
Old 10-10-2007, 09:07 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
But they would have to let you know which position they planned on installing the MAF (before or after turbo) Before you programmed their chip. Correct?
Why would they need to tell me where the MAF is installed?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:17 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

John I may have to try moving the MAF since I bought a tial bov. I was planning on contacting you to see if this was a viable option, and recommended placement?
Old 10-10-2007, 03:06 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by fast951
Why would they need to tell me where the MAF is installed?
In a quick summary of why i thought...

Because the VE of each turbo and set up is different, which is why you have to know each indidviduals set-up to calculate VE of each different turbo, intake system and pipes. But. if in a blow through layout. The VE is determined by the actual mass of the air flowing past it because that is then the EXACT amount of air getting into the engine. No guesswork in this set-up. (Assuming base VE of block and head are equal)

Am I wrong?
Old 10-10-2007, 03:39 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 95ONE
In a quick summary of why i thought...

Because the VE of each turbo and set up is different, which is why you have to know each indidviduals set-up to calculate VE of each different turbo, intake system and pipes. But. if in a blow through layout. The VE is determined by the actual mass of the air flowing past it because that is then the EXACT amount of air getting into the engine. No guesswork in this set-up. (Assuming base VE of block and head are equal)

Am I wrong?
You are not wrong. However a True MAF system, where the DME understands Air Mass does not require changing the software every time the VE changes. ex: change the exhaust, change boost, the AFR remains constant.
Our software was written to support true Air Mass.

This thread is for SFR MAF. I do not want to take any more space here.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:48 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Dont worry about it John.We designed our piping to be used with the kits out there so they can keep their software and all the good stuff that they like but still have the ability to move the sensor to a more ideal location(ofcourse this is just my opinion).
Old 10-10-2007, 03:59 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thank you Tim. Based on my experience, the type of sensor in use for blow-through and the position of the sensor play a huge role in the behavior of the system. Talk to your vendor before modifying the MAF system you now have!
Just a quick note, so no one misunderstands this. The MAF we (Vitesse) supply, must be used as is! Do not try to remove the sensor out of the tube (well unless you want to purchase another sensor).
Old 10-10-2007, 04:47 PM
ShApE
Burning Brakes

So do the sfr MAF kits come with a base tune or is it just start from scratch?
Old 10-10-2007, 05:16 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, since this thread is getting some more mileage I want to thank both Tim and John for contributing their knowledge to us, as well as everyone else for being reasonable and not flaming away.

These are the types of mods that really show how strong the community is... 20 years on people are still coming up with new alternatives and implementations.

Quick Reply: SFR blow through MAF vs 'std' MAF kit