Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Looking for opinions on a turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 03:17 PM
nize
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1323296
These parts are confirmed garbage. You are getting less than your money's worth when you buy this stuff.

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...g+Common+Topic
More and more I see people that say they have purchased either an SSAutocrome turbo manifold, or an XSPower t3/t4 turbocharger, or even the whole kit (I think it's from StoneMountain racing...but it's all the same company). Don't get me wrong I understand that money is tight, and they advertise very well on Ebay...but don't give in!!! I have seen in person 3 of the manifolds crack- 2 of them I tried to weld back together...multiple times. And on all three the problem was right were the wastegate flange was welded onto the collector. Then, like a moron, I went out and wasted $400 on an XSPower t3/t4 myself...it was fine at first...then about 6 months later:
Old 09-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nize
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1323296
These parts are confirmed garbage. You are getting less than your money's worth when you buy this stuff.

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...g+Common+Topic
More and more I see people that say they have purchased either an SSAutocrome turbo manifold, or an XSPower t3/t4 turbocharger, or even the whole kit (I think it's from StoneMountain racing...but it's all the same company). Don't get me wrong I understand that money is tight, and they advertise very well on Ebay...but don't give in!!! I have seen in person 3 of the manifolds crack- 2 of them I tried to weld back together...multiple times. And on all three the problem was right were the wastegate flange was welded onto the collector. Then, like a moron, I went out and wasted $400 on an XSPower t3/t4 myself...it was fine at first...then about 6 months later:

Actually, the newer SSAC stainless manifolds really aren't bad at all. The older ones had poor welds that were prone to cracking, however not too long ago they made some revisions apparently and the welds are much better. I've installed several on my friend's 240sx's, and after the last ~2 years or so of him drifting and occasional track racing the car, we have yet to see one single crack, and believe me he beats the ever living sh*t out of his cars! For the money it's still a risk however, the manifolds are so cheap they are at least worth it to buy and re-weld all the welds or buy and use to make a jig so you can build your own manifold. I mean, hell, you can usually get the manifolds for ~$100-150. For that cheap I'd buy one just for the hell of it to hang up on the wall or something. As far as SSAC and the rest of those Chinese "wholesale" Ebay companies products like knockoff wastegates, turbos, ec, I'd avoid the rest of that stuff. At least manifolds are relatively simple, and if they fail you can always re-weld them. A faulty wastegate or turbo could potentially cause serious damage to your car or blow your motor, so best not to cheap out on at least those 2 items.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:17 AM
Naplesguy06
Racer

What can you guys tell me about my Powerhaus K27/8? Will it kick a lot harder than my 26/6 and will the lag be worse? Does it bolt right on? I see the collar on the coldside is much larger than the 26,I am planning on running it with an A.P.E or the stealt maf that is on special by Vitesse I think. I have this turbo on my bench and I was going to sell it for a ball bearing turbo but I have to see what fleabay brings me I have the bid starting at $599.00
Old 09-24-2007, 02:36 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A K27/8 will spool slightly slower then a K26/8 due to the larger compressor wheel. It will produce low 300's on mild boost, and is a much more capable turbo then any K26..

Rogue
Old 09-24-2007, 12:18 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
A K27/8 will spool slightly slower then a K26/8 due to the larger compressor wheel. It will produce low 300's on mild boost, and is a much more capable turbo then any K26..

Rogue
on the other hand, a garrett 50trim/8 (which is about the same size as a k27/8) will definitely spool faster than a k26/8 and might even spool as fast as a k26/6.

we got my buddy's car started up last night and plan to have before/after dynos comparing this very setup soon.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:21 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by Naplesguy06
I have this turbo on my bench and I was going to sell it for a ball bearing turbo but I have to see
you have to be specific when you mention 'ball bearing' as turbonetics also makes a 'ceramic ball bearing' turbo that is a single ball bearing on one side, and a traditional thrust bearing on the opposite side. in my opinion, the only ball bearing to get is the garrett dual ball bearing, which has a ball bearings on both sides of the shaft.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nize
on the other hand, a garrett 50trim/8 (which is about the same size as a k27/8) will definitely spool faster than a k26/8 and might even spool as fast as a k26/6.
Possibly. However he already has a K27/8. And I have logged my K27DR (#8 turbine wheel in a machined #6 housing) producing 15psi at 3000rpm @ 6000' elevation. At sea-level it would be even more responsive. And for power potential - see my sig.

Rogue
Old 09-24-2007, 09:17 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Just another data point but my K27DR made 273whp at 13 psi and on the street spool up even at partial throttle was quick.

More important to me was the relationship of boost to throttle position on the track. This turbo felt very linear, if that works relating to a turbo, so when I was applying power coming out of a turn I could easily get into the throttle just enough to accelerate hard but it would not just all of a sudden be jumping from very little boost to max boost.

Compared to the stock k26/6 it was definite improvement. You do need to know what your particular goals and budget are.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well - for now I've decided to sell the K27/6 - listed it on ebay the other day and it is currently at $27 no reserve if anyone is interested. I think that I'll lay for a good condition used turbo along the lines of what has been suggested in this thread.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:27 PM
nize
Banned

Originally Posted by Josh B
Well - for now I've decided to sell the K27/6 - listed it on ebay the other day and it is currently at $27 no reserve if anyone is interested. I think that I'll lay for a good condition used turbo along the lines of what has been suggested in this thread.
josh; since dual ball bearing turbos are still relatively new to the 951 world, i think you will have a hard time finding a 'good condition used turbo'. people who have them are not likely to want to sell them. you're probably better off buying new.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:21 PM
95ONE
Race Car

^+++++++++++++++++++++1

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions on a turbocharger