Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ivai
Vitesse FTW!!! Car looks nice Josh.
Thanks Jeff - just can't wait to get the last few kinks worked out so that I can drive it Hope things are going well for you. We are going to do some sort of drive/pic opp this fall for sure!

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Now you got it. That said, try the magical pixey dust turbo that Vitesse makes. Once you get one, you'll never want to look back again, trust me. And I'm speaking from my personal experience, with tons of datalog sheets, and other people I know too!

Hey Rolex - That is what I keep on hearing. I should probably sell that intake and go back to a stock one and use those funds to finance some Vitesse goodies
Old 09-18-2007, 08:59 PM
daigo
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I've got some guy in Georgia building me something very special right now!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:59 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Josh: I think you have a lot of people giving you some very sound advice, with personal experiences and empirical data to validate their recommendations. And look at daigo's post too, that guy is happy as hell. Maybe you should join the club!

Old 09-19-2007, 12:36 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

nice one porschafile i always wondered about that 4 bolt t3 dump pipe . this conversion seems to make a lot of sense to me I'm not convinced that old garret stuff is far superiour to KKK stuff . But the options that open up when you are set up for t3 are just amazing .
a second hand t3 style turbo in fair cond to suit is as little as $50 and new ones as cheap as $140.
if you do a search on ebaymotors for "Turbo T3" you get about 12000 results conpaired to 3 for k26 . i still believe the most cost effective turbo aroung 300hp are the gt2860 made for Nissans that are not the "ideal" 944 turbo but they sure are good and there are so many of them that they are the cheapest gt bb turbo there is .I've seen them go for 400 $
Old 09-20-2007, 04:32 PM
nize
Banned

Now you got it. That said, try the magical pixey dust turbo that Vitesse makes. Once you get one, you'll never want to look back again, trust me. And I'm speaking from my personal experience, with tons of datalog sheets, and other people I know too!
Josh: I think you have a lot of people giving you some very sound advice, with personal experiences and empirical data to validate their recommendations. And look at daigo's post too, that guy is happy as hell. Maybe you should join the club!
hey rolex, where are these datalogs and empirical data? i have yet to actually see any side-by-side comparisons.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:34 PM
nize
Banned

btw, if you want to read an honest review with plenty of datalogs and empirical data, check this post;
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/352032-turbocharger-review-pauer-tuning.html
Old 09-20-2007, 04:37 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

I'll add this to here since this thread is getting activity and Nize has experience w/ part of my question.

"What are "good" prices for a Garrett 3076R w/ .63 hotside?
I found it for $1,225.00 here http://www.pagparts.com/perfpts1.asp...bo&cat=gtturbo
The same turbo (as far as I can tell) is available from Pauer Tuning (http://www.pauertuning.com/turbos.htm) as a "Bolt-on proposition for the 951"...

What else is needed? Modified down pipe (flange and diameter) oil/water cooling lines (or atleast ends), some sort of custom mounting bracket????"

Last edited by porschefig; 09-21-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:41 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by nize
hey rolex, where are these datalogs and empirical data? i have yet to actually see any side-by-side comparisons.
Hey Nize, I have my own from my old car, that's what I meant . And I do have datalog comparisons of my VR turbo and other ones too. As do other people on here who have VR turbos, like ST as you know. As for me, I am sharing 'my personal' experiences and recommendations, that's it.

Anyway, back to you Josh...

Old 09-20-2007, 04:55 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by special tool
Be careful with that antique book - I am sure even he has changed some of his opinions in that book based on the passing of almost 20 years.

See "water injection", for instance.
Also - "high boost applications"....at over 1bar.
Quaint.
Fully agree with some old school thinking that needs to be thrown out.. But... I do love the solid math equations that are in there.
Things like calculating the optimum intercooler piping based on Frictional dynamics that state anything (Airflow speed) above Mach .4 is getting too fast and Starts to slow itself down due to increased Friction. Then it gives you the equations to calculate aproximately how fast the air is going given the Size of the piping and amount of power you're making.

I ate stuff like that up. Very good starting point. With some advanced points.
Old 09-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Tool, Rolex, Porschefile, and anyone else

It seems to be in agreement that the stock 26/6 or 27/6 is old technology, small turgo, and not up to the performance level of current turbos.

However, when I have read vendors' advertisements regarding spooling, I have even specifically asked, "will this turbo spool more quickly than the stock 26/6 and have yet to have one say, "yes". I get no answer at all or "maybe a little slower, but not much" or "spooling is similar".

I have never seen in the literature, "XYZ turbo makes more power than 26/6 and spools more quickly". (not saying i have seen all the vendors and turbos, just that of the ones i've seen i have never seen this statement)

So with your experience, which turbo upgrades spool better than stock and make reasonable power?

and.......to interpret for you guys, what is pathetic to you is reasonable power to me (300-340 whp)..

you guys are 340 pwhp (PER wheel horse power)!
Old 09-20-2007, 11:17 PM
Portly
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blueman33
So with your experience, which turbo upgrades spool better than stock and make reasonable power?
I am also very interested in hearing answers to this one. Economical turbo that'll spool faster than stock and make 300+ whp comfortably.

_Jeff
Old 09-20-2007, 11:44 PM
hally
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Portly
I am also very interested in hearing answers to this one. Economical turbo that'll spool faster than stock and make 300+ whp comfortably.

_Jeff
My T04E50 spools a touch faster than my k26/8 did. So far have only taken her to 15psi and 253rwhp. Hoping that 18psi will get me close to 300. My k26/8 couldn't sustain 15psi to redline.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:44 AM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

Blueman33, I would say a ball bearing 50 trim T3/T4 (Pauerman offers these as a bolt-on) sounds like what you are looking for. Search this forum for some threads from Nize about his 50 trim setup. He datalogged it and surprisingly it spooled up at about the same rpm as a 26/8, however it took several seconds less time for the 50 trim to spool. That's pretty amazing to me as a 50 trim is good for roughly ~450fwhp, so it's quite a bit larger than a 26/8. Assuming you have the proper supporting mods, a 50 trim t3/t4 will easily support over 300whp. The LR Super 48 is similar sized and would also do the trick while still spooling pretty quickly.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:40 AM
Portly
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porschefile
He datalogged it and surprisingly it spooled up at about the same rpm as a 26/8,
Nize's datalogs show it spools up about 200 rpm later than the k26/8, which itself spools up later than a k26/6. So this doesn't really hit the target of "spools faster than stock, and makes more power too." Perhaps that's not a realistic goal.

_Jeff
Old 09-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Porschefile
Three Wheelin'

My stock 26/6 spooled to 1bar @ 2700rpm w/ an EBC, which is about as fast as the k26/6 will spool and the 26/8 is only another few hundred rpm slower. I'd say a turbo capable of spooling only ~200rpm later than a 26/8, yet capable of over 100whp more than a 26/8 is pretty darn good as is. 200rpm higher boost threshold or spool is barely noticeable as that amount of rpm will pass by in the blink of an eye. It might be possible to get a 300-350whp capable turbo to spool to 14-17psi before 2700rpm on a 2.5l, but to do it you'll likely have to implement a twin scroll setup or make some other radical design changes that will cost a decent amount of money and ultimately be more work than is necessary. Is there any real reason you want it to make full boost so early? I mean, most of the ~300-350whp bolt-on turbo choices for these cars will typically generate ~14-18psi before 3500rpm, which is plenty responsive for a street car and a majority of them seem to make that boost closer to 3-3.3k rpm or so. That's still plenty responsive to where you aren't waiting for it to spool, you can still ease on the throttle in 5th at highway speeds and develop boost quickly without having to downshift, etc. I honestly wouldn't worry about a few hundred rpm as in 1st through say 3rd gear 200-500rpm goes by quick enough that it won't be too noticeable.

Also, one thing to note about Nize's datalogs is the actual physical time it took both turbos to spool. The 26/8 did 0-20psi in 14.4sec and the t3/t4 did 0-20psi in 8.3sec! I'm not sure what gear that was done in (Nize?), but the larger turbo taking 6.1 seconds LESS time to spool is pretty impressive (hell, that surprised me and I'm tough to please! ). A good part of that is the fact it has the new Garrett t3/t4r dual ball bearing center section of course. This is an excellent example of the actual improvements in transient response and overall response with DBB turbos like I keep constantly babbling about.

A bit OT but, thanks again for all of the datalogging Nize! That's pretty cool stuff. Have you dyno'd the car yet?

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions on a turbocharger