Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fuel rail finally off...but I think I'm in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 12:01 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Fuel rail finally off...but I think I'm in trouble

Hey guys,

Finally got my fuel rail off and heres how it came out. Three of the injectors actually stayed with the manifold and only one came with the rail.

On injector number 4, the injector cap actually broke and I believe some pieces of it fell into the head...I don't know if the valve is closed, but if it was open and the pieces fell into the combustion chamber, will I have to go to extreme measures to get them out? Here is a picture of what came out of the car.

I have four brand new sets of seals for when they go back in, I'm just worried about those little pieces...Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

-Darwin
Old 09-16-2007, 12:02 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I mean im no expert, but theyre plastic, id say theyd probably blow out the exhaust valve. Id think youre probably ok
Old 09-16-2007, 12:11 AM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming you removed the injector clips first. I don't think you have a problem. IIRC one or two of mine stayed in the manifold. Just send them off to Gordon at Witchhunter to get rebuilt and flow tested. $60 or something like that and it includes express return shipping.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:14 AM
Darwantae951

Hmm...good idea about sending them off. My worry about the plastic piece is that will it hurt the turbo at all? I mean if I have to I can pull the spark plug and figure out a way to get them out. Thanks for the input guys!

-Darwin
Old 09-16-2007, 12:28 AM
M Berg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try a vacuum cleaner and a small hose.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:50 AM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by M Berg
Try a vacuum cleaner and a small hose.

That just sounded funny...I've thought of that and also of double sided tape on a long, skinny metal rod (thanks geniks). We'll see, I have to verify weather or not the valve was open, first. I hope it wasn't...but we shall see.

-Darwin
Old 09-16-2007, 01:06 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

This happened to me last month....

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/370445-oops-help-please-injector-cap-didn-t-come-off-with-injector.html

Just got her running again today. I guess I removed the injectors wrong because all of them leaked when I had them tested locally.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:35 PM
buxton
Racer

You can buy new seal kits for the injectors at most part stores. They are cheap. Make sure you lube the o-rings when installing. It is very easy.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:13 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea, most auto parts stores will have the injector reseal kits available. I get them from Oreilly auto parts, they are made by borg warner. I have an old box in my toolbox at work if you need the part number. IIRC they are about $2.50 per injector. The cap is the only tricky part about putting the seal kit on, I like to heat it up first with a heatgun just to soften it a little, then place it on the workbench or 2x4 and press the injector into the cap all the way. If you don't heat it up, the caps will break on occasion. Never broken one yet once I started using the heatgun. Doesn't take much heat.

If you need the part number, let me know and I will post it tomorrow.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Yea, most auto parts stores will have the injector reseal kits available. I get them from Oreilly auto parts, they are made by borg warner. I have an old box in my toolbox at work if you need the part number. IIRC they are about $2.50 per injector. The cap is the only tricky part about putting the seal kit on, I like to heat it up first with a heatgun just to soften it a little, then place it on the workbench or 2x4 and press the injector into the cap all the way. If you don't heat it up, the caps will break on occasion. Never broken one yet once I started using the heatgun. Doesn't take much heat.

If you need the part number, let me know and I will post it tomorrow.
I have four sets already, and they're from Bosch...my only concern is that they have yellow caps and they are a tiny bit longer than the caps that are on the injectors right now. Has anyone else encountered this?

-Darwin
Old 09-17-2007, 12:32 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

How is the cam positioned? There's a reasonably good chance the intake valve is closed and/or its sitting on the back of the intake valve. If you remove the intake manifold, you can take a peak... might get lucky.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:45 AM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
How is the cam positioned? There's a reasonably good chance the intake valve is closed and/or its sitting on the back of the intake valve. If you remove the intake manifold, you can take a peak... might get lucky.
Regarding this, I lucked out big time and the valve was fully closed. I can see the little red bits sitting there...taunting me...

-Darwin
Old 09-17-2007, 01:02 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonestock951S
Regarding this, I lucked out big time and the valve was fully closed. I can see the little red bits sitting there...taunting me...

-Darwin

That's great. If the valve is closed, needle nose pliers, a shop vac or compressed air should get it out of there.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:31 AM
Keithr726
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, you lucked out. My cap for evil cylinder 4 didn't come out with the injector and of course the valve was open so I removed the intake to find a open can of worms. Upon reinstalling the intake I broke one of the intake studs on yep, cylinder 4 but luckily there was enough left for the nut to tighten down.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:47 AM
bscpanther
Racer

Trust me, you get a good enough shop vac, and you can suck anything out of there, valve opened or closed. I don't recommend wasting time trying to buy online injector kits unless you know of a place that sells ones that actully fit. I won't mention any names but I even got some crappy kits from a well known vendor.. the caps, spacers and even the o-rings don't fit right. And I'm just talking about the stock injectors. I finally took my injectors down to an injector shop and had them tested and flow matched, then he showed me shelves of all the tips, spacers and o-rings that look the same but vary slightly in size. He put them together good as new. One of the best $100 I ever spent.

Quick Reply: Fuel rail finally off...but I think I'm in trouble