Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Symptoms of a bad torque tube?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just tossed my TT bushings on ebay, again. Let me know if you want a set, and I'll give you the RL price.

-J
Old 09-10-2007, 12:15 AM
jyoon
Burning Brakes

tires?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:26 AM
buxton
Racer

New tires 500 miles ago. Same problem before and after tire install and also same with the track tires on.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:38 AM
boerge
Instructor

I have something similar that I cant figure. Vibration and noises from the rear, but only to be felt/heard when taking off in first and second gear. Especially just as you start moving the car, and much more evident if I have the steering wheel at an angle. Going around roundabouts slowly in 2nd results in vibration to be felt and som funny noises, sounding excactly like a bad a CV joint. Now that lead me to think the CV joints, so I replaced the drivers side driveshaft with a second hand one, I also replaced suspension front and rear with new yellow konis, and had a 4 wheel alignment.
Problem is still there. Also, during accelerating in 3 and 4 th especially, car wants to pull to the right.
Holding the steering wheel in the center (it is centered now after 4whl align) car goes nice straight, give it some gas, and it feels like it gets pushed from the rear, out of a straight line and to the left. Letting off the gas, puts the car back to wanting to go straight again. THis is when I hold the steering wheel steady centered. WHat can be the cause for this? Tranny mounts? Differential? ANy help is appreciated.

Regards

B.O
Old 10-09-2007, 10:00 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Guys-- he has a SOLID transaxle mount !!
Old 10-09-2007, 12:36 PM
931guru
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 235 Posts

There are a couple of places that sell rebuilt torque tubes. Check with 944online.com
Old 10-09-2007, 10:37 PM
buxton
Racer

I bought a used tt from a fellow member. I am hoping to repl. it, the clutch, and related parts in the next few weeks. I will post results of my findings. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:07 PM
buxton
Racer

Update: I finally got around to tearing the trans out along with the torque tube. As soon as the transmission was removed the problem was evident. The rear bearing in the tt was bad. The bearing was stuck to the shaft but loose from the outer tube. The shaft had considerable play in it and was vibrating against the outer tube at certain rpms. I then installed the new clutch parts, pilot bearing, rear main seal, resurfaced flywheel, and a new Tial 38 at the same time.

I really like the Tial and it seems to hold boost pressure much better than the shimmed stock unit. I am now experiencing a significant gear noise on deceleration from about 2500 to 2000 rpm in first and second gear. I do have a solid transmission mount but it seems worse than before I tore it apart. Possibly the vibration over the several months I drove it could have done something to the transmission. I will see if it survives a track day later this week. It seems to shift both up and down fine - just the gear noise on decel.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:15 PM
svx604
Track Day

Hi this is an ancient thread but could you update any new findings to the gear noise issue and TT rebuild?

Quick Reply: Symptoms of a bad torque tube?