Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

considering sale of my 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:16 AM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will be glad you kept the car after your get back on track. Car looks great by the way.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:13 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I wonder if the block was not overheated at some stage causing some warpage? Was the head deckplated when done or was the budget too tight. What about the tune with the ems? Could there have been detonation at any point? There can be many reasons for the warpage if in fact that's what it is?
Glad to see that you've hung on to it though and will see it through. Somehow that makes everyone here feel better.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:34 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

After seeing a LOT of blocks I can offer the following insight – there are no ‘flat’ used blocks. I have to ‘square up’ all the block I use for the MID sleeves, I have not found a perfect one yet.
As far as the ‘squish’ area – it does not change much when you machine the head because the critical quench area is already flat. Cometic will make head gaskets to a custom thickness if needed and there is also a thicker stock type head gasket available.
Any serious detonation will leave tell tale markings on the pistons. Check for anything that does not look smooth. Roughened areas are the first clue…
Old 10-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Kevin M
Instructor

Thanks all. I will endeavor to finish this project (no such thing) and get back with photos. I also decided to delete the balance shafts (this is always good for some opinions) using the delete kit from Gomes.

Kevin
Old 10-19-2007, 12:16 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
After seeing a LOT of blocks I can offer the following insight – there are no ‘flat’ used blocks. I have to ‘square up’ all the block I use for the MID sleeves, I have not found a perfect one yet.
As far as the ‘squish’ area – it does not change much when you machine the head because the critical quench area is already flat. Cometic will make head gaskets to a custom thickness if needed and there is also a thicker stock type head gasket available.
Any serious detonation will leave tell tale markings on the pistons. Check for anything that does not look smooth. Roughened areas are the first clue…

Well it would depend on how much the head is machined re the quench area. From builders I have talked to they seem to target 40 thou...
Old 10-19-2007, 02:44 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

looks like it is O ringed, Kevin?? no one would really prep such a motor without the 200$ o ring option .
Old 10-19-2007, 09:12 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by NZ951
Well it would depend on how much the head is machined re the quench area. From builders I have talked to they seem to target 40 thou...
Thats determined by the head gasket thickness....some of the head is already 'flat' from the factory
Old 10-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
looks like it is O ringed, Kevin?? no one would really prep such a motor without the 200$ o ring option .
Unless they were going to use an MLS type gasket. MLS gaskets do not work with Orings and susly will not work with a head that has O ring grooves in it.

Quick Reply: considering sale of my 3.0